Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
One word: disappointment.

I have supported Nokia for years. No more.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
What pisses me off more than the fact that MeeGo won't be on the N900, is the attitude and approach of Nokia - full of lies, if and maybe - or no communication at all. I loved Nokia for many years, but this just I simply hate, with any manufacturer.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Commercial MeeGo?
Or Official?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
What pisses me off more than the fact that MeeGo won't be on the N900, is the attitude and approach of Nokia - full of lies, if and maybe - or no communication at all. I loved Nokia for many years, but this just I simply hate, with any manufacturer.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53551

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53571

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50763

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Are some people purly stupid or do they not read what other people say. Seams like some just vent their dissapointment regardless what have been said in the thread. These thing have also been pointed out for a month or so already. That MeeGo will not come as an OTA to n900. If you want it you will need to flash it manually. Nokia are working on it matter of fact. There will also maybe be a dual boot solution though nothing is pomised. So what is all the fuzz?

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Austria
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
It will be released on the N900! What it won't be is commercially supported. If you flash MeeGo on it, Nokia Care won't be holding your hand through it.
This was also a question from one of the people (developer?) at the conference and the answer was ... "FULL OFFICIAL SUPPORT for Meego on the N900" - I was there!!

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
I have no doubt that there will be a perfectly usable version of MeeGo for the N900. And community-supported may be better than Nokia-supported after all.

The idea that it might be more difficult to find a fresher distro for my N900 than for my Zaurus (for example) even years after product launch is laughable. Heck, there will probably be 3-4 specialized versions available. They're using the N900 as the ARM reference platform for MeeGo, for goodness' sakes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSteve For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Do you want MeeGo because it brings new apps or because it is new and shiny?
I want it because no matter how long Nokia promises support for Maemo.. the fact is MeeGo will be supported long after Maemo is dead (assuming, of course, that PR1.2 wasn't the final nail in the coffin).

Granted, ultimately, if my phone receives periodic updates for the next 1.5 years or so before dying then it probably won't matter as I'll be in the market for a new phone then anyway as I'm sure the new phone will control my shiney new flying car while starting my toaster from home and I can press the "record" button to automatically start recording my DVR at home.

But, MeeGo will still be alive longer than Maemo, so I would have liked to have received the MeeGo OS on my N900 prior to having to buy a new device.

Of course... I most likely will be running MeeGo anyway.. because "devel" and "community" doesn't scare me. I am awaiting at least a rudimentary Handheld UX release from the Linux Foundation, free, MeeGo that I was hoping was coming in the next short while but recent posts have suggested I might have a few more months. Once I see the direction of the UX, I'll decide if it's worth flashing my phone with it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that this all about user experience. Polishing software is a lot of work. Polishing each application for resistive screen (as good as it is) is not trivial considering that we are making the UI for our Nokia product on MeeGo for capacitive screens as we have said already in Maemo Summit 2009.
Well, not staying with a resistive screen was the other bad decision. Even back then.

well now lets hope that they do continue to support maemo and not turn round at the next release and go "you know what narrr we can't be arsed with it anymore"

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser