Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
I'm afraid this post does not live up to our credo, which is,
"full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members..."
Thank you for quoting me out of context. Have I ever said that 100 percent of this community is...

Hope you get my point. No reason to be defensive about something you aren't.

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
You were a tiny bit snide, so I suppose it could be considered compliant.
Lol.. damn. Only a tiny bit? I'll have to try harder. I guess I shouldn't have requested a mod help him out.. or offer him an answer to his problem.. and just told him to get lost instead. I'd hate for the usefulness of my post to overcome the snideness....

I shall work on this.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Dude.. you're so mine!

Search for "self-fulfilling" and do "show posts"...

You show up eight times!
over how many days?

And... only eight?

I wanted to stick up for Box. I completely disagree with most of these posts, and agree with Orange. If you are a bit miffed by the N900, like I am a bit miffed, then overall your questions and observations about the N900 will be a bit more negative. I think it is very important that this forum allow people to rant as well as rave. I have a lot of experience with PDA's, other phones, other operating systems, and other forums (as I'm sure lots of people here had), but I tend to agree with Box.

A second point, I think the overall tone here is something similar to Linux developers forums, where everyone is a committed enthusiast, and negative comments aren't tolerated. I don't seem to find that type of experience in most forums for things like commercial cell phones. And while Linux users are a special breed indeed! ... I'm not sure this is the best kind of forum for general users of the N900.

The last thing I'll say is that I've been a bit miffed about the OS, it feels like a first generation OS with a lot of quirks, and IMHO, there's nothing majorly fatal, but the other operating systems are more refined at this stage. However, hopefully the much vaunted software update will fix some of my irritations, and in a year or so when application developers jump on board (man, i do wish I could get TOM-TOM for this OS), this is going to be a killer device. I just don't think its there yet, but here's hoping! I'm trying to get some free tie to see if I can contribute an app or two soon.

Ciao!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by revamped View Post
I wanted to stick up for Box. I completely disagree with most of these posts, and agree with Orange. If you are a bit miffed by the N900, like I am a bit miffed, then overall your questions and observations about the N900 will be a bit more negative. I think it is very important that this forum allow people to rant as well as rave.
Point missed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often. Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars. There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.

Peace.
Yeah, most of them are linux geeks but far away from fanatic.
They don't really want to explain the most common sense things oven and over again because although linux might be new for many most of the silliest questions can be accessed on an international network that can be accessed via this link

Most iPhone users are on the other hand fanatic and they will shove that device in your throat whether you like it done kindly or non-kindly.

The geeks not here because of the brand but because of the OS and it's capabilities.

I don't think this thread really has it's necessary but truth to be told you are partly right.
I've met linux-geeks before and you really have to handle them gently:
1)never mention anything microsoft related because "microsoft has nothing better to do than hating linux"
2) be VERY clear and concise when asking or requesting something.
*as an example I'd menion my thread about not removing the redpill because of the ease of use and because having to get the keyboard out to install .deb on a mobile phone sucks.
The nice answer I got was more like "what, can't you type "dpkg"... from probably the same people that consider portrait mode useless... while using the device on the go with one hand still sucks because of the over-implemented landscape mode.

So, no geek here feels frustrated about N900, noone wants you to buy N900 => noone will sweet-talk you and tell you how good it feels in your hand. EVER.

So now that everyone stands corrected I say we should close this thread and go mind our own business.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Thats not true. Some people here are certainly very elitist. But for every dbag on the forum, there is at least one person who wants the community to grow and thrive. You've had some bad luck unfortunately, but don't give up, and don't take it personally. A lot of people take interest and pride in helping other people succeed. Everyone was a noob at one point. Some people overcome it by working hard on their own, others need and/or want help from the people who made it there before them. There comes a time when most people realize that it is far better for the community to help new users instead of troll them. Keep asking your questions, and keep contributing however you can. Cheers! Shout outs to #maemo and #maemo-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shinkamui For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
The iphone community is nothing compared to the N900's
zzzzzzzzzzz
You are in it right now.
But by all means
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1X3jTJ2BY

When you're done with your stockholm syndrome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6F2V144Hc

I tether my pc to my N900 and surf the internet everyday and even play wow sometimes on class 32 edge. Did you get that?.... EDGE

I play wow off of N900's AT&T edge connection!
Who do you think made that possible huh? This community.

So many free FREE FREE applications because guys just love the darn thing and want to see it blossom and you're talking smack on a Maemo forum?

Your thread title is talking smack and then you want to say after that don't react, don't talk smack back.

You can't have it both ways. Change your thread title and I'll change my response. Knock it off.

Last edited by aironeous; 2010-01-04 at 22:27.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
The iphone community is nothing compared to the N900's
zzzzzzzzzzz
You are in it right now.
But by all means
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1X3jTJ2BY

When you're done with your stockholm syndrome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6F2V144Hc

I tether my pc to my N900 and surf the internet everyday and even play wow sometimes on class 32 edge. Did you get that?.... EDGE

I play wow off of N900's AT&T edge connection!
Who do you think made that possible huh? This community.

So many free FREE FREE applications because guys just love the darn thing and want to see it blossom and you're talking smack on a Maemo forum?

Your thread title is talking smack and then you want to say after that don't react, don't talk smack back.

You can't have it both ways. Change your thread title and I'll change my response. Knock it off.
Oh my, you are so evil...

The little orange just wants some friendliness, he ain't no troll
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38318&page=21
It says so right here!

You do realize that comparing the forums is like comparing apples and oranges right, hehe couldn't resist.

I don't have a problem with this forum it is a good resource and is useful if you take the time to look. And yeah people often do get hammered when a simple google search would have given them the answers they wanted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyear99 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy