Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Shouldn't there be something in the Infractions about frequent offenders? (i.e. accumulate points, lay low until they expire, repeat)
Dear God! The mods are out to get me! I'd be banned in a fortnight with a rule like that.

But seriously... Not a bad idea. Maybe make a repeat offense of the same rule incur a slightly higher penalty? Or take longer to expire? I'm not convinced the proposed system wouldn't handle it though... I mean, I don't think the objection is that someone whines, then stops for a week or two and does it again. Rather it's the constant flow of comments and insults from the same handful of posters that's poisoning the well, IMHO. (And yes, I know I leave a sour taste to some as well...)

Oh, and one more idea, or at least a request:
When the new system is in place to track points, etc... Can we have some automated way to know we've been dinged? Maybe a PM is sent as part of the point process, with a link to the post, the points we go, and maybe a fill-in box for a "why" from the moderator that dinged us? I'd hate to rack up a lot of points and get banned without knowing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
\Anyone reading this thread would probably say, to hell with this i am not getting involved it is a bloody prison.
Prove that the number is higher than 10.

You can't.

You're speaking for a handful of people who will never be happy no matter what we do. This community is not catering to that handful.

i am bowing out of this thread as it is not right i keep having to defend myself against people jumping on me for giving an opinion.
No one is doing that. They are disagreeing with the exaggerated opinions that you purport to be facts.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-22 at 21:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
But seriously... Not a bad idea. Maybe make a repeat offense of the same rule incur a slightly higher penalty? Or take longer to expire? I'm not convinced the proposed system wouldn't handle it though... I mean, I don't think the objection is that someone whines, then stops for a week or two and does it again. Rather it's the constant flow of comments and insults from the same handful of posters that's poisoning the well, IMHO.
The point is not to cover every contingency, but to make the basic rules clear and also the punishments that go with breaking them. Moderation is still discretionary and such cases can still be dealt with as needed.

When the new system is in place to track points, etc... Can we have some automated way to know we've been dinged? Maybe a PM is sent as part of the point process, with a link to the post, the points we go, and maybe a fill-in box for a "why" from the moderator that dinged us? I'd hate to rack up a lot of points and get banned without knowing it.
That's the way it works. You get a PM announcing the Infraction, and why. Perhaps we do need a demo...

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't see any infractions tab on mine. I think someone should ask for a sample infraction and do a 'feature unboxing' review complete with screenshots for us, the curious mass
Here's your man:
then why we already got infraction points? and do they stand?.
What do you say, abill_uk? Does your eagerness to actively participate in this thread include a little show and tell?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I always send an accompanying PM when giving out infractions, quoting the offending post, then citing the Terms of Use (and in the future the Forum Rules) as the justification. (except spambots; no point there). I thought it was required, am I wrong? \

Edit: Ninja posted again.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-22 at 21:25.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Not sure about other sections, but at least in Applications that's already implemented. When I wrote my announcement, I was asked to first check out a list of threads to make sure I won't create a duplicate topic.
Ah.. ok. Show how often I top post. Maybe that was a recent addition? Or I wasn't paying attention, since what I was posting wasn't covered elsewhere... Maybe there were no results?

How about some javascript to make the "New post" button run away from the mouse if your post count is under 50? Just kidding.

But like I said, maybe there are some other things like that we can use to augment the policies being put forth here. Just let it rattle around in your mind as you visit other sites. Maybe one of us will see something useful, or come up with something we're not doing yet.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
That's the way it works. You get a PM announcing the Infraction, and why. Perhaps we do need a demo...
Ah.. Well, I've not gotten an infraction on the new system yet either, so... I'm sure I'll see it eventually. Seems all my requests and ideas are already done. Good job!

(And thanks, I don't need a demo... honest... I'll be nice now. )

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-06-22 at 21:24. Reason: Added another thing that's already implimented.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Prove that the number is higher than 10.

You can't.

You're speaking for a handful of people who will never be happy no matter what we do. This community is not catering to that handful.
If rules are implemented and proven to work then i am all for them but not when as what has just happened to me where people jump in with a dig inviting flaming to occur is allowed, it shows clearly something is not right.

Look at what happened and you will realise i had no choice but to try and defend myself because one bad comment invites another so on it went.

If your going to make rules then at least make them applicable to everone including mods and the friends of because you cannot have a rule for one and not another.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
If rules are implemented and proven to work then i am all for them but not when as what has just happened to me where people jump in with a dig inviting flaming to occur is allowed, it shows clearly something is not right.

Look at what happened and you will realise i had no choice but to try and defend myself because one bad comment invites another so on it went.

If your going to make rules then at least make them applicable to everone including mods and the friends of because you cannot have a rule for one and not another.
The Forum Rules and maemo.org Terms of Use apply to everyone, because we're all users of those sites. No exceptions.

If you have a problem (with anyone), report the post, and appropriate action will be taken, if the request is legitimate. (Citing the t.m.o Rules or maemo.org ToC is always helpful if you've got time.)

Although I do think people jumped you for who you are, just because of the negative connotation. That's why we need the new guidelines.

(Don't get clingy.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-22 at 21:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I think all these replies are nicely summed up here (out of site link, click at your own risk, not an advert, warning, humor site further exploring might be NSFW)

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Ah.. ok. Show how often I top post. Maybe that was a recent addition?
If you consider February 2008 recent, then yes. The similar thread suggestion feature was added to reduce the redundant threads opened by the flood of new N810 owners joining the community at that time.

The feature searches out, and lists, similar threads based on the title entered for the new thread. Unfortunately, the trigger for the search is input focus leaving the title field, and I suspect that many people are madly typing away in the message box when the page updates to show search results between the title and message boxes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou

Hey man, I just want to say that what I said earlier, I meant it.
It wasn't just a dig at you.

I pointed out a specific thing that you said you'd do when you think other people are 'attacking' you, and I wish you don't do that anymore.

I've seen your 'good' side, and I think we can get along just fine...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy