Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
First, thanks everyone for your answers !

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
1. What I've already done was start the successful Maemo Greeters, suggesting volunteers include helpful links in their signatures.
I applaud your initiative.

Let's focus on what we have in common and also recognize that everyone has an important part to contribute regardless of their skills, likes, etc.
Do you think that a clear explanation of what and how a new user can contribute would increase their likeliness of contribution ? I am just throwing that into the discussion : I am a new user and would like to be useful to the community but I don't know how to be useful. How do I report properly a bug using Bugzilla ? I am not a coder, what can I do for the community, Maemo 5 and the N900 ? How can I help others help me (or how to properly ask a question to get the answer I am looking for). Is there a list of wiki pages that are in need of love ? Is there a list of community projects that new members could help with ? etc ...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I disagree, the focus on Talk has changed. The previous devices didn't do well in the maintsream market, and most of the traffic here came from engaged users. The N900 has much more mainstream appeal and with it it has brought with it a lot of pure end-users. They're not interested in sticking out for the long-term and they're not interested in contribution. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but Talk has changed, it's not the same place it was a year ago.
I think you nailed it more than I did.

That is sure not the job of a council member to keep "pure end-users" around when Nokia changes focus to the next device. That being said, what should be done to get them interested in contributing while they are on Maemo.org ? What do you think could make them switch from "forum-lurker" to "contributor" ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I still believe that if you sign up for talk.maemo.org to ask a question or participate in a discussion, you are an engaged user.

I do not belong to any Microsoft Windows forums. That's because I use Windows because its there, not because I like it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
1. What I've already done was start the successful Maemo Greeters, suggesting volunteers include helpful links in their signatures. I think that's helped "build the bridge".
On this, do you have an idea of the effectiveness of this initiative?
I'm really curious to know whether initiatives like this one are effective at diverting some of the "OMG I can't launch app XX. plz help"-style threads.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I still believe that if you sign up for talk.maemo.org to ask a question or participate in a discussion, you are an engaged user.
On this point I strongly disagree. Asking a question then disappearing forever is not the sign of an engaged user anymore than entering your name and email information into a company's online support form would be.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
On this, do you have an idea of the effectiveness of this initiative?
I'm really curious to know whether initiatives like this one are effective at diverting some of the "OMG I can't launch app XX. plz help"-style threads.
It's hard to quantify that success, but the feedback I received indicated it was very helpful. To take it a step further, I think signatures could be better formatted to better draw attention. Something to consider...

On this point I strongly disagree. Asking a question then disappearing forever is not the sign of an engaged user anymore than entering your name and email information into a company's online support form would be.
You do have a point. I would qualify qole's statement to add "most" to users and "who stick around" as well.

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Do you think that a clear explanation of what and how a new user can contribute would increase their likeliness of contribution ?
Absolutely, and there are initiatives in place to address that (some in limbo due to MeeGo). If I am re-elected, improving that will be one of my top priorities... with the understanding that most solutions will apply more to the forthcoming community.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Absolutely, and there are initiatives in place to address that (some in limbo due to MeeGo). If I am re-elected, improving that will be one of my top priorities... with the understanding that most solutions will apply more to the forthcoming community.
If you ever happen to need help with that you can give me a call.

Is it possible for you to give examples of those initiatives ?

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
If you ever happen to need help with that you can give me a call.

Is it possible for you to give examples of those initiatives ?
Sure to both.

One is the tester program VDVsx and Attila77 (et al) are working so hard on. Steadily they are improving the process and the ability of anyone to get involved.

Another is my project: the MeeGo User Experience Framework (feel free to suggest anything).

Even better: your own anti-FUD wiki article.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh come on, internettablettalk.com had lots of those users too.

Everything has gotten bigger, but I really believe that all segments of the population are growing together. Sure, there are more trolls, whiners and ask-and-runners, but the engaged user base has grown dramatically too.

Sure, there are lots of stupid threads here, but there are lots and lots of interesting ones too. Even the noisiest, trashiest part of town, the N900 forum, is mostly full of honest questions and interesting discussions. Just look down the list of active threads. Most of them have titles like "Cisco PIX VPN Connect from N900" and "please help me to install vlc....".

I get pretty tired of the way the bad threads get all of the attention. To me, that's just what the trolls want. It is like how the security checkpoints at airports stopped allowing water bottles on aircraft after 9/11. Why are you letting the bad guys set your agenda?

Closed Thread

Tags
council