Poll: What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM
Poll Options
What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
having access to big debian repositories isn't supposed to be immediately beneficial to end-users.
Exactly!

it makes porting popular OSS applications a hell of a lot easier, resulting in more available software.
Actually - NO. If you want to port, there is no difference where you get the sources. In most cases you get it's last version from sourceforge or application web site and that would be in .tar file.

The only exclusion - if you port a system maintenance application which works in the same model as your debian-based system AND your window manager. So, Gnome vs KDE plays role but DEB vs RPM - not.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Exactly!

Actually - NO. If you want to port, there is no difference where you get the sources. In most cases you get it's last version from sourceforge or application web site and that would be in .tar file.

The only exclusion - if you port a system maintenance application which works in the same model as your debian-based system AND your window manager. So, Gnome vs KDE plays role but DEB vs RPM - not.
If a certain package required changes to compile on ARM/ARMEL and debian has already done that for us.. we can simply take the debian deb and repackage the binaries.. or grab the sources from debian with the changes.

I remember having to modify a few things to get KDE4 to compile right for debian on the N810... this was before debian had ARM ports in their repo's for it.

So.. having a major distribution supporting your architecture certainly does help with porting... however - there's no reason one can't use the debian sources in this case and build an RPM instead.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
If a certain package required changes to compile on ARM/ARMEL and debian has already done that for us.. we can simply take the debian deb and repackage the binaries.. or grab the sources from debian with the changes.
There is a chance that changes for ARM/ARMEL do exist in RPM source repositories too. Usually the package maintainers supports ALL platforms and if somebody needs yet-another platform then they include that fixes as well and with thanks to proposed changes. I never seen the situation then changes to some platform doesn't go it's way to original source... besides the very platform-specific applications, of course.

There is a chance that changes for ARM/ARMEL do exist in RPM source repositories too. Usually the package maintainers supports ALL platforms and if somebody needs yet-another platform then they include that fixes as well and with thanks to proposed changes. I never seen the situation then changes to some platform doesn't go it's way to original source... besides the very platform-specific applications, of course.
Except that the ARMEL repositories of RPM distributions are so utterly pathetic when compared to debians.

That's the debate. Why would RPM sources have the change when their distro doesn't cross-compile or maintain an active ARM repo? That would be pointless.

Anyway.. it's all moot: As long as there already is an ARM port of it somewhere.. it's stupid simple to make either a deb or rpm from it to fit our needs.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,
Has any one actualy used Moblin.

I am at present and its not Fedora. Mine
is Open suse Moblin although still using rpm's
KDE and Debian programs seem to be
available

Originally Posted by rushman View Post
Hi,
Has any one actualy used Moblin.

I am at present and its not Fedora. Mine
is Open suse Moblin although still using rpm's
KDE and Debian programs seem to be
available
1) Yes

2) That's because there isn't really "debian" programs so much as debian has packaged publicly available programs and so has Moblin.. and Fedora and Mandriva and so on.

What specifically do you mean by a "KDE and Debian program"?

I'm pretty sure I tried to run "dpkg -i" on moblin just for giggles and got a command not found.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Anyway.. it's all moot: As long as there already is an ARM port of it somewhere.. it's stupid simple to make either a deb or rpm from it to fit our needs.
still...
one of the benefits of having a huge armel repo is that you also don't have to worry about dependencies much. you take the control file 1:1 and just rebuild what's missing, again not having to fiddle with the packaging files.

i imagine lots of possible errors in package dependencies, multiple packages and so on.

it's not difficult of course, still much easier than porting from scratch, but prone to errors IMHO.

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-02-19 at 20:32. Reason: vocabulary *g*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
it's not difficult of course, still much easier than porting from scratch, but prone to errors IMHO.
Sure.. any time you add steps you open for more unforeseen circumstances.

It's just, at this point, it's not going to change.. so why bother? Technically, anything we need is still possible.. it's just going to require a little more work to get it to where we need it.

Why would RPM sources have the change when their distro doesn't cross-compile or maintain an active ARM repo?
Because sources are maintained not from RPM but from developers sites which take care about all distributions.

Source RPMs (or DEBs) have a big sense for system management software like start/stop interface, catching mesg about unlocking device etc. And that sources are pretty uniq to architecture ... well to a specific distribution, actually... big and reach repos from other distributions don't help too much here...

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Because sources are maintained not from RPM but from developers sites which take care about all distributions.
Not so much. Quite often distribution packages carry patches that upstream hasn't taken, or indeed has refused to take. If upstream doesn't care about arm support (and a lot don't) it is quite possible that Debian is one of the few places that will have code that compiles for arm.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:

Tags
rabble-rousing, rpm vs. deb war, rpmligion vs debligion, vote attila77