Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
The autobuilder is still broken and given the day of the week and year, i expect it will remain that way for a while. If you are comfortable installing from a .deb, install the first release from the repo to make sure you get the dependencies and then install the attached version of the prboom package. I welcome feedback, both negative and positive, on how to improve it.

Do not ask how to install this. If you have to ask, you shouldn't be installing it. :P

As soon as the autobuilder is over its hangover, i will remove this and you can go back to getting your dangerous alpha quality software from the -devel repo.

Known issues: this resolves control and audio issues, leaving just nice behavior when in the background and streamlined exit process to add before I can promote it to -testing.

You will need an iwad. Put it in /opt/doom/wads.
Happy New Year!

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-02 at 16:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Tried it with freedoom iwad (doom2.iwad)... Works great...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-01-01 at 11:11.

A reasonably complete port of prboom is in extras-devel.

Remember, software in extras-devel could cause data loss, hair loss, spouse loss, global warming, or male pattern baldness. Don't enable the extras-devel repository unless you know exactly what you're doing, and don't leave it enabled on your N900 or you're just asking for trouble.

Usage

If you do decide to install it, you'll need an iwad file. I've been using the one from freedoom, which is, coincidentally enough, free. Put it in /opt/doom/wads. You can also use the doom1 demo wad by installing the doom-wad-shareware package from extras-devel. While you have the repo enabled to install prboom, get a root shell (Ctrl-shift-x to open shell, type "root" (you did install the rootsh package, right?)) and type
Code:
apt-get install doom-wad-shareware
Controls

Fn - fire (left thumb goes here)
Shift / Z - strafe left/right (below left thumb)
Ctrl - run (above left thumb)
a - strafe (right of left thumb)

top row of keyboard (qwertyuio) - weapon keys (correspond to number keys)

, - best weapon (appears the map failed, hmm), also escape menu
. - next weapon
space - activate
backspace - menu/back to previous menu
p - pause

Basically the controls are clustered around the fire button on the left (Fn) and the arrow keys on the right. Localized keyboards will probably need the workaround described in my earlier post.

Known Issues
  • No default iwad is installed; see above.
  • Probably suffers from Nokia's localization bug AKA "Dude, where's my up arrow key?". Workaround described here. There's also an applet to do this for you.
  • No throttling or pausing on loss of focus or screenblank: don't leave it running in the background while you go off and do other things or your battery will be sad.
  • Mouse control breaks the ability to use the on-screen exit button and generally isn't helpful. Leave it the way it is set: OFF.
  • No music. Sorry.
  • I need to add metra's patch to bypass the exit confirmation so you can simply tap the 'X' in the corner. Right now you have to push 'y' after doing that.

Note to would-be app maintainers:

I was careful to document everything i did as i prepared the ubuntu/debian package for maemo. Anyone who is looking for a bit of a working example on how to start with maemo packaging starting from a debian source package can grab the source package in the SDK scratchbox
Code:
apt-get source prboom
and look at the changelog in ./debian.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-02 at 18:15.

Here's the patch to bypass the confirmation note and it also disables exit sound playback and sleep loop there. I defined MAEMO to ifdef unnecessary blocks.
BTW, why did you put width and height parameters in the desktop file? It looks like they are used in preference to the prboom configuration file and it's impossible to change resolution from there. It took me some time to figure out why changing resolution in prboom.cfg didn't have any effect.
Attached Files
File Type: txt quick-exit.patch.txt (849 Bytes, 114 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to metra For This Useful Post:
i installed dosbox 0.73 and copied over the original retail doom2 files which i bought through steam. the game starts up fine (after a long time i might add) and i see the main background image. however i cant seem to get the menu to come up, ive tried pressing all the keys but nothing works. anyone else have this issue?

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by faetoblack View Post
i installed dosbox 0.73 and copied over the original retail doom2 files which i bought through steam. the game starts up fine (after a long time i might add) and i see the main background image. however i cant seem to get the menu to come up, ive tried pressing all the keys but nothing works. anyone else have this issue?
Why not install prboom (compiled for ARMEL), and just use Your iwad file like described here... I guess that will work... Try it out

Waaaay faster than running it in dosbox...! That's for sure...

Seconding DrWilken's advice. Wolfenstein works great with DOSBox though, you might just have to tweak out sound settings and cycles.

The release candidate of PrBoom is in extras-devel. It will be promoted to extras-testing ASAP.

Remember, software in extras-devel could cause data loss, hair loss, spouse loss, global warming, or male pattern baldness. Don't enable the extras-devel repository unless you know exactly what you're doing, and don't leave it enabled on your N900 or you're just asking for trouble.

Usage

If you do decide to install it, you'll need an iwad file. Right now, the package will pull in the doom 1 shareware wad by default. I've also been using the one from freedoom, which is, coincidentally enough, free. If you own a commercial variant, you can use those wads. They go in /opt/doom/wads.

Controls

Fn - fire (left thumb goes here)
Shift / Z - strafe left/right (below left thumb)
Ctrl - run (above left thumb)
a - strafe (right of left thumb)

top row of keyboard (qwertyuio) - weapon keys (correspond to number keys)

, - best weapon (appears the map failed, hmm), also escape menu
. - next weapon
space - activate
backspace - menu/back to previous menu
p - pause. You can also pause by calling up the task switcher or another app. Bringing PrBoom back to focus will unpause it. Be ready!

Basically the controls are clustered around the fire button on the left (Fn) and the arrow keys on the right. Localized keyboards will probably need the workaround described in my earlier post.

Known Issues
  • Probably suffers from Nokia's localization bug AKA "Dude, where's my up arrow key?". Workaround described here. There's also an applet to do this for you.
  • Mouse control breaks the ability to use the on-screen exit button and generally isn't helpful. Leave it the way it is set: OFF.
  • No music. Sorry.

Note to would-be app maintainers and game porters:

I was careful to document everything i did as i prepared the ubuntu/debian package for maemo. Anyone who is looking for a bit of a working example on how to start with maemo packaging starting from a debian source package can grab the source package in the SDK scratchbox
Code:
apt-get source prboom
Here is the trimmed changelog; the changes to source code are in README.Debian

Changelog

prboom (2:2.5.0-svn20091231-0maemo1) unstable; urgency=low

* Modified src for good behaviour:
- Automatically pause and throttle game loop when window loses focus
- Don't prompt for quit on clicking the Hildon app-close 'x'. For the
nostalgic, exiting through the menu still prompts and plays an exit sound.
Thanks to metra for code primer via patch.
* Removed fixed screen resolution from desktop file.
* Adjusted control file to pull in doom-wad-shareware package if no installed
package provides doom-wad. Not sure if this virtual package voodoo is
supported in HAM...

prboom (2:2.5.0-svn20091231-0maemo0) unstable; urgency=low

* Using upstream source from svn to fix setup keymap bug
* Fixed: installs good keymaps if user has no config file
* Removed obsolete libsmpeg dependency from control file
* --without-mixer flag added to config step. Makes audio work but disables
music (thanks metra)

prboom (2:2.5.0-0maemo0) unstable; urgency=low

* Maemoized Ubuntu package
- Display name, bugtracker, and app mananger icon added to control
- prboom.desktop and prboom.png icon installed
- Added icon cache update command in postinst
- Changed build flags to disable GL and x86 asm
- Reduced dh version level requirement and reverted dh_prep to dh_clean -k
* Optified Ubuntu package
- Does not install manual
- All docs are moved to /opt/prboom/doc
- Binary goes in /opt/prboom
- WAD goes in /opt/doom/wads, which is symlinked from the default dir,
/usr/local/share/games/doom in prboom.links, and chowned to user in postinst
* Fixed directory creation in rules

-- Flandry <davidfalkayn@gmail.com> Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:39:24 -0500

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-03 at 03:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I've promoted it to Extras-testing, which means i consider it ready for end users. Now, it's up to testers to verify that.

If you are willing to be a tester, please read about the Extras-Testing repo and make sure the package meets the criteria in the QA Checklist. You can find the testing report page for it here.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
just tested and almost made me mad because i had problems with kb. layout is fin. Should there be some hints about this thread or keyboard shortcuts in details

and thank you for this awesome game port

.edit
actually i cant change bindings from game so i cant play game properly

..edit
changed kb layout as you have told here but thats some power user stuff. There has to be better way to do that.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-06 at 10:05.