Active Topics

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Exactly how far are we from getting a normal linux with all the necessary functionalities done right and working on the N900?
What's normal? Normal for what use-case? It has a terminal, and can run whatever command-line tool you stick into it that's compiled for armel Debian- that's "normal" for some use-cases. Normal as in works like your average desktop distro, with GNOME/KDE and their respective suites of software pre-included? Specify, in other words.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Actually, that's pulling meaning of from that article that just isn't there. Yes MeeGo wasn't developed well enough and Nokia was internally conflicted; no MeeGo doesn't "not exist", and I'm too lazy to make a long post for once so I'll leave it at that.
What I and others have been asking of those who continue to say that MeeGo was "almost done" or "two months away" and (insert conspiracy here) is... show us MeeGo. Then we gets lots of huffing and puffing. My original statement was a bit of hyperbole and should probably be "MeeGo does not exist in an end-user useable state".

The question is if one wanted a fully open source community ARM-based OS whether it would be quicker/worth it to "fork" MeeGo given its state and its legal strings or develop on top of an already-existing Linux ARM port. Wafaa's description seems to paint a picture that trying to work with MeeGo right now is more trouble than it's worth. I know he's given up on Smeegol.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Somthing without all the errors and jerryrigging Nokia did with Maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
I agree it is about time, we need a truly open Mobile RISC Linux distro who fate isn't determined by some big corporation who could give two shits about opensource. The Linux Action show agrees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMICchtBdA
Anyways I have a few names what about thinux or noonix. Would anyone be willing to chat with me about it?
Edit: My name is nooblet.1 on skype

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2011-03-06 at 06:54.

Tinux is also a good name or noBLIX (Non Nokia mobile linux)

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Untill the N900 becomes COMPLETELY open source and that means ALL components then we will never have Maemo or MeeGo in a complete stage as it will only ever be a makeshift based on what people can do with what is already open source.

This is why the Maemo and MeeGo projects are far far from complete and will never reach completion in any way or form untill Nokia open source everything to us.

Sad but true so we may well have to go on to the next Nokia so called flagship.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Wafaa's description seems to paint a picture that trying to work with MeeGo right now is more trouble than it's worth. I know he's given up on Smeegol.
I've said what I think about that article in the thread on this forum related to it (horrible piece of journalism with a lot of misconceptions and very few facts that were surrounded in manure and bias). Wafaa stopped working on it because he was simply re-packaging the Netbook UX on top of OpenSUSE and there wasn't any contributions back to MeeGo or additional features. And MeeGo netbook didn't really have any additional feature work being done for it for 1.2 (focusing on Core and Handset), so he stopped his work.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-03-06 at 07:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I am really happy to see alcalde back on FUD duty again.

I said DUTY DDDD

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I've said what I think about that article in the thread on this forum related to it (horrible piece of journalism with a lot of misconceptions and very few facts that were surrounded in manure and bias). Wafaa stopped working on it because he was simply re-packaging the Netbook UX on top of OpenSUSE and there wasn't any contributions back to MeeGo or additional features. And MeeGo netbook didn't really have any additional feature work being done for it for 1.2 (focusing on Core and Handset), so he stopped his work.
So the question comes back around again, then: When will N8x0 and N900 users see a workable, finished, released MeeGo product that can be used day-to-day? That is--not in alpha, not in beta but maybe maaaaybe at least in RC?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So the question comes back around again, then: When will N8x0 and N900 users see a workable, finished, released MeeGo product that can be used day-to-day? That is--not in alpha, not in beta but maybe maaaaybe at least in RC?
N8x0 I can't comment on. It's still on my list to do something about it. I hate having devices without big use in my house. I have a hunch QML apps might work slightly better than MTF.

N900: Only thing expected is the "MeeGo DE" stuff, see the thread for it. That's something at least I would use on day-to-day basis. Even if it has only few, working features at first. And it'd be on a open platform and open applications that anyone can customize. And improve upon too. Perhaps you would be good with this too?

I can't recommend anyone to do a Maemo fork, we all know how that went last time anyone was insane enough to do that
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
i hate you all, i love you all, just shoot him, just shoot me, nokia defiled, popcorn time, what the fork?