Active Topics

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The free energy devices have been suppressed by the corporate world,
From Wikipedia
"A second type of impossible "perpetual motion machine" is one which does not violate conservation of energy, but produces work by extracting heat from its surroundings, thereby cooling them down, and converting the heat energy into mechanical work. Such machines are forbidden by the second law of thermodynamics."
Which secret corporation is this "Second Law of Thermodynamics" ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Free energy is ********.
Obviously. However, we do get a plentiful supply of very low-cost energy from the sun. Have you received an interstellar power bill latelyl?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Have you recently discovered a new form of crack or something?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Guys. Cheap (and/or) renewable energy is one thing, a perpetum mobile is another. Science tells us we have plenty to work on the former, but that the latter is a dead end (regardless of the techology applied).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
So.. what dead animal are you guys still kicking?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So.. what dead animal are you guys still kicking?
I think it is the Koala, the ultimate narcobear. =)

Magnets are not "forever" by any means: the polarization comes out of alignment every time you use them to harness their energy. If you use a magnet to pick up a hunk of medal, it loses a little bit of its strength. But likewise, when you expend energy pulling the magnet and metal away from each other, the magnet regains the magnetism it lost.

All "As I Understand It' BTW.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
For those who couldn't figure it out, I was not seriously saying that I believed in perpetual motion. In fact, I never said that at all. In fact, I never implied that in any way. I simply liked seeing that absurd reasoning replayed in this day and age.

But we do get free power from the sun, as free as anything we get free. It's even open source!

Originally Posted by fms View Post
May I ask where this "little extra" is coming from?
Well, I don't understand all the physics behind it, but apparently the device uses the naturally occurring energy found in rare earth magnets via magnetism to power the device. And it's a well known fact that there's a humongous amount of energy tied up in atoms and molecules, as is evidenced by the atom bomb. There was also something that came up, an at that time undiscovered principle of magnetism that allowed energy to both be extracted from the interacting of magnetic fields.

Again, I don't know or understand it all, but there was some pretty interesting physics behind it. I don't know how much further they ever went with the design, or how much actual energy could efficiently be extracted from the process, but the initial designs didn't render a whole lot of surplus energy.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Well, I don't understand all the physics behind it, but apparently the device uses the naturally occurring energy found in rare earth magnets via magnetism to power the device.
Do try understanding the physics before posting about it. The magnet-based "perpetual motion" engines are widely described and discussed on the Net.