Active Topics

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
From experience, this does NOT help on the entry level - on the contrary. It stops people who WOULD have been willing to learn the basics from doing so, because it creates the illusion of the basics no longer being necessary.

Without automatic code creation, people are more or less "forced" to learn the basics, so anybody even remotely interested will have to do so. After their first success in doing so, they'll either get deeper into the process of writing applications, or leave because they decided it's not worth the trouble.

With automatic code creation, nobody has to go through this first step. But then, when it comes to getting deeper into the language, they would have to learn the basics first - and then human instinct for going the easiest route kicks in in form of "I can create something with a few clicks - why should I now try to do the same by writing cryptic lines of code instead?" - so potential future developers decide to stay with the automatic code creation process, instead.

And while of course the rare gem might spring forth from it, 99.99% of all applications created that way will be fart/lightsaber/vuvuzela apps.

Good points, Naithraben....

As I've been teaching myself programming over the past few years off and on, I can fully relate to your points...

However, I don't think that ALL people trying out this approach, will try and then just stop if they hit a roadblock, at least a small percentage I would think might be inspired to seek out more knowledge. The rest will just drop out as you're suggesting...which is OK too...

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Good points, Naithraben....

As I've been teaching myself programming over the past few years off and on, I can fully relate to your points...

However, I don't think that ALL people trying out this approach, will try and then just stop if they hit a roadblock, at least a small percentage I would think might be inspired to seek out more knowledge. The rest will just drop out as you're suggesting...which is OK too...
True, but it's a shame that the percentage of "drop outs" is actually higher than without a code creator, for those who fall prey to human laziness wouldn't necessarily have made bad developers (especially since developers are lazy by definition ).

Then again, like you wrote, it helps with people creating simple apps for themselves, so manpower is not "wasted" on doing it for them. I guess that way it kind of compensates for the lower number of developers.

So, in my opinion, it's a bit harmful from a developer's point of view but actually a bit of an advantage for the community itself.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm not sure if this thing will take away programmer 'candidates' than actually add a class of 'casual programmers' who have more potential to take the steps further to learn a more structured approach to programming.

I think these casual programmers will bring interesting apps from their respective fields of interests, which are certainly broader than what is currently there already.

And more meow apps.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
This has been done before, multiple times, and has gone two ways:

* the no-typing way (done by Microsoft, and way better): Dead before it hit the ground. Works well for hello world, meow, but on the next step it's way faster by keyboard, and before the first 2 days you feel like the whole graphical thing is holding back. If you spend 4 weeks doing an app that can be summed to 10 lines you're doing it wrong.

* the start easy-then-type (done by everyone, it's called a RAD Tool). Works great to speed up the repetitive task of adding buttons, arranging, assigning components. Once these are done, you F12 back to the editor and type like there's no tomorrow. Point being, you have to code, there is no help there.

Either way, all it did was raise absolutely-zero level to can-make-an-app-that-meows, by teaching you nothing. The curve hasn't changed, if you want to write an app you still need to learn to code.

Besides, all it did is ensure there are going to be a shovel-load of stupid, do-nothing, click to make funny sound apps. It will look good in 5 months when Android has 1 million apps. It's just that 950.000 can be replaced by 4 lines of code.

I still hold hope, though. Embarcadero is reviving Kylix code and, with just a bit of luck, it could come to ARM.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
One thing is certain: we need a meow app to remain competitive.

It's the new hello world.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
One thing is certain: we need a meow app to remain competitive.

It's the new hello world.
And if we want to take the lead from Apple and Android, we should have a meow/fart app....2 apps in 1!!!!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
And if we want to take the lead from Apple and Android, we should have a meow/fart app....2 apps in 1!!!!

That supports half a dozen cryptic command line parameters, of course.

meowfart --type bobcat --juicy 4 --osso-hack-around-silent-mode true

Agree with comments on shifting, but not actually lowering, learning curve.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
It will look good in 5 months when Android has 1 million apps. It's just that 950.000 can be replaced by 4 lines of code.
This is a great point, b/c app count is endlessly quoted in newspaper articles. The next step, of course, is asking how many apps are not junk, but this is much harder to measure. App count is very important in the press, and here Maemo's practice of resetting the app count to zero every time a new version of the OS comes out has just GOT to be fixed in MeeGo (related thread is here).

This kind of thing might also generate more niche apps. The value of a huge app store is the same value as cable: not that you really need all those channels, but if you have all those channels, it increases the chance that you'll find one right for you.

It also might be a path for people to get into serious programming. What if people use the tool & get the hang of it, but run up against its barriers? Well, have it spit out code in the language (Java or Python or whatever) and then learn that language? I admit -- I'm not sure how often this will really happen, but I have to think it will whet at least some people's appetites.

It might also be a way for middle-grade programmers to quickly put together an interface and then hook in the more complicated plumbing later.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'm not sure if this thing will take away programmer 'candidates' than actually add a class of 'casual programmers' who have more potential to take the steps further to learn a more structured approach to programming.

I think these casual programmers will bring interesting apps from their respective fields of interests, which are certainly broader than what is currently there already.

And more meow apps.
Somebody has to make the make noise, drink beer, etc.. apps. Heck maybe that will companies will have developers make apps that need to be apps instead of something that could be run off a simple webpage. :P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Embarcadero is reviving Kylix code and, with just a bit of luck, it could come to ARM.
Hell yes! I still have my boxed copy laying around. Too bad Kylix is nothing more than Delphi, but that's what I used second most with OpenGL back in the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: