Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Wait a minute, I would think that Nokia's sustainability would make it MORE like McDonald's, which has demonstrated that it has the most sustainable business model for fast food.

What am I missing?

Is red font supposed to mean sarcasm?
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes are globally respected rankings based on a thorough analysis of corporate economic, environmental and social performance. Nokia is also the most environmentally friendly technology company which is the exact opposite of McDonalds.

red text is for rage at stupidity

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Why do you care about the company's profits? How does that affect your phone's operation? Gizmodo is all Nokia hate all the time. I

don't get how excited consumers can get when Apple make tons of money by selling them overpriced phones.
Are you kidding?

I care because:

1. I have always been a Nokia fanboy (not so much after the N97 and my broken N900 usb port which Nokia refused to fix) and you always want those you support to do well don't you?

2. The more money a company makes the more money it has for R&D which means the more likely it is to make a super amazing product.

3. Nokia is not going to money hat like Microsoft did with xbox and 360 for example but if it had mad money to throw around it would mean as their new CEO said "developers, developers, developers".

4. If Nokia's profits continue to fall then real risk they focus on the dumb phones and mid range phones.

5. Unlikely, but maybe if Nokia was making mad profits it would actually have some level of customer services (and my N900 would have been fixed).

6. What if I was a Nokia share holder? Do you know for certain that I am not? In which case how well they are doing would have a very very direct effect on me.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes are globally respected rankings based on a thorough analysis of corporate economic, environmental and social performance. Nokia is also the most environmentally friendly technology company which is the exact opposite of McDonalds.

red text is for rage at stupidity
Not totally true, McDonalds has some of the lowest environmental impaction packaging for take out meals out there, and they wast a lot less food than, say home cooking or other restaurants making them pretty Eco efficient per calorie.

I think it is a good analogy most of what Nokia make is in the same product space in my head as McDonalds. (Maemo was a premium product set to take over the world by my enthusiasm but now it is just smoldering ashes - being used to lightan old school business model with intel.

Taking the green peace image into perspective Nokia make the greenest electronics out there, but the benefit is lost when the average consumer gets a new one every year and they are treating mobile phones as disposable.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
Not totally true, McDonalds has some of the lowest environmental impaction packaging for take out meals out there, and they wast a lot less food than, say home cooking or other restaurants making them pretty Eco efficient per calorie.
What? Ainīt home cooking depended on what kind of groceries people buy and where they buy? Waste food when home cooking? To me itīs quite close to zero. Or are you talking about whole chain?

Wait a minute, I would think that Nokia's sustainability would make it MORE like McDonald's, which has demonstrated that it has the most sustainable business model for fast food.
Nono.. We all know that Taco Bell will be the last restaurant standing.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by slender View Post
What? Ainīt home cooking depended on what kind of groceries people buy and where they buy? Waste food when home cooking? To me itīs quite close to zero. Or are you talking about whole chain?
I think he's referring to the efficiencies gained in mass production. For instance a single power plant that generates the power required for many vehicles is more efficient than many gasoline engines creating the same required power.

What I want to know is, why are they trying to put down Nokia by comparing them to one of the greatest business successes of all time?

And here I was talking about economic sustainability. Thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
And here I was talking about economic sustainability. Thanks for the clarification.
Actually it's an index that counts economic and environmental sustainability.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Suddenly in ~2 years we have hundreds of experts (mainly seems to be USA blogs) telling us how some corporations are doing lousy and what they should do.|
Oops.

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...rica-presence/

Crazy thread,Crazy reaction,I'm Loving it

Tags
troll alert, wifries, world hunger