Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Many of the stuff being suggested can be done with Symbian phones, and doesn't one of the ways for jailbreaking the iPhone involves SSH'ing to it?

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
install nitdroid, meego snapshot, easy debian and show gimp etc.

excuse me but what are you trying to get as answer?

btw. You do not need to jailbreake anything.

.edit
stream webradio and send it with fm transmitter to car radio. play games with tv-out, show mypaint with pressure sensitive brushes. Actually if you really need to ask this kind ofquestion then you probably have totally wrong device in your hands.

Last edited by slender; 2010-09-14 at 23:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
TiagoTiago if these suggestions did not convince you, you will never be. Truth is smartphones resemble computers more and more as time passes. The N900 resembles the computer just a little bit more.

And you will never convince an apple fan that the N900 is better. They are too brainwashed to see the truth..and the iphone is better than the N900 in many ways too. The iphone has many games and apps which are very appealing. But I would never choose it over the N900. The biggest drawbacks are no keyboard, the annoying limitations (bluetooth..downloads), that grandmothers own them, the fans, apple and the fact that using the GUI makes me think I'm ******ed and I need to be spoonfed everything as if I was 3 years old. And if you need to void warranty and do an illegal thing in order to render your iphone more useable..that's a clear sign that it (moreso apple) sucks..

And Symbian is one of the best Smartphone OS there is. It has low power consumption, and can work on slow units quite well too. Which is necessary in a mobile environment. Everyone who owns iOS, Maemo or Android complains about low battery life.

But for me..the N900 is the perfect device for it's liberty. What other device lets you literaly destroy the OS...the deadly command rm *** /. I won't post it here so no one can try it . But that alone is a good enough reason for me to own it. Nothing more..nothing less.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-09-14 at 23:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
install nitdroid, meego snapshot, easy debian and show gimp etc.

excuse me but what are you trying to get as answer?

btw. You do not need to jailbreake anything.

.edit
stream webradio and send it with fm transmitter to car radio. play games with tv-out.
Or.. Android...
install ssh server, install some fancy camera apps, photo editing software... all without rooting. Plus, if you DO want to root it, you can also install debian and customize the HELL out of your handset. ANYTHING can stream web radio--not sure why you put that in there. FM is kinda chinzy, I'll stick to using Bluetooth (hell, I'd rather use a line-in jack), thanks. HDMI out is a little bit nicer, no?

PLUS... Can you do this?

Instant heart rate monitor
Metal Detector
Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Navigator, Google Translate, Google Voice Search, Google Sky Map, etc.

I know I can. You might be able to too. I know my Droid is only just a phone, not really a computer--Just saying, pointing out that you can run a bunch of applications or services, like a desktop computer, doesn't mean or even illustrate that it's not a cell phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
But for me..the N900 is the perfect device for it's liberty. What other device lets you literaly destroy the OS...the deadly command rm *** /. I won't post it here so no one can try it . But that alone is a good enough reason for me to own it. Nothing more..nothing less.
Uhhh... I use nandroid on my Droid to back-up and restore the whole state of my device so that I can hack and slash the thing to death without ever worrying about permanently ruining it. Best thing is that I don't even need a PC around to do it, it all works straight off the SD card. You might need to get out a little more, lad.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-09-14 at 23:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
WTF danramos!
Why should I care what droid does? What is your point?

.edit
Or are you providing no **** sherlock information to me? Thats kind of you. I was trying to answer op.

Last edited by slender; 2010-09-14 at 23:31.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
WTF danramos!
Why should I care what droid does? What is your point?
I think I made it clear:

pointing out that you can run a bunch of applications or services, like a desktop computer, doesn't mean or even illustrate that it's not a cell phone.

Ohmmmm but my point was that it's phone features are so rough that I would exclude word phone from that.

It's internet tablet then, whatever suits to your definition best.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Uhhh... I use nandroid on my Droid to back-up and restore the whole state of my device so that I can hack and slash the thing to death without ever worrying about permanently ruining it. Best thing is that I don't even need a PC around to do it, it all works straight off the SD card. You might need to get out a little more, lad.
I have one word for you: multitasking.

But seriously I am not into this whole my package is bigger than yours thing. And I like Android. If Meego isn't promising Android will be the choice. So far no phone seem better than the N900. Not by much anyway. Too much of a bother to sell and buy a new phone. I'll keep my N900 till something promising comes. But I need a good hardware keyboard to go with it...

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I know I can. You might be able to too. I know my Droid is only just a phone, not really a computer--Just saying, pointing out that you can run a bunch of applications or services, like a desktop computer, doesn't mean or even illustrate that it's not a cell phone.
Every phone is a computer. Even traffic lights are computers.

Point is, you don't buy a smartphone to primarily and only phone with it. If you need that, there are tons of good devices out there.

Feature-wise the Nokia N900 is as much a smartphone as a Samsung Galaxy S or Apple iPhone is a smartphone whereas a Nokia N800 or Sharp Zaurus C3200 is not.

However, I don't find the name 'smartphone' accurare for either one of the mentioned 'smartphones'.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

Tags
derp-derp, snl-shimmer