Active Topics

I have access to a machine shop, so I'd probably grab a chunk of UHMW PE and make one up custom.

Otherwise, I'd just put a dab of hot-melt glue on the connector. Use a washer or similar (greased to prevent sticking) to form the new shoulder as it solidifies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, no limit to solutions for a spacer!

I just ran into this on my flight to Helsinki, only it was an adapter to use my Plantronic headset with Airbus audio connectors. Same exact problem though. And a pain in the butt when the passenger next to you keeps shifting around...

How about one or two O.rings? They wouold tend to stay without any glue etc. Try Lowes or local fastener supply such as Fasenall.

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Well, I just bought one. Living in the US, it was, including shipping and tax, with some special promotion, a whopping $3.84. I figure I can handle it.

I'll report back on how well it works (if at all) once I have it.
The adapter/microphone arrived today, three weeks after I bought it. It ships from Hong Kong.

It works fine, depending on what you expect. I'm not sure that it offers any advantages over the unit that came with my N800, except that I can use my Shure or iAudio earphones with it and have a microphone at the same time. Previously I would use the Nokia mic/earphones only for Skype and use my better earphones the rest of the time.

It seems well enough made, but nothing to write home about. (But, heck, it was under $4, including shipping!)

I don't notice attenuation of my iAudio's or maybe only very slight degradation. (Okay, I didn't notice any but I'm reluctant to give up my audiophile credentials. )

The mic has a button, and the button appears to do absolutely nothing. Maybe it answers the phone (though I don't know as I don't "answer" Skype calls at this point). I can tell you it isn't a Mute button or a Volume control.

As for background noise, it certainly picks it up. I don't know much about these, but it seems to me that background noise would be a problem with any lapel mic. I don't think it's any better or worse than the Nokia mic.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

i've tried everything, including pulling it out a bit, and the mic will not work. the built in mic continues to pick up sound, fooling me into thinking it works. but it doesn't.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Portland, OR
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
According to two posts I found in the forums, a headset designed for the iPhone isn't perfect for the N800 since the posters had to pull the plug out by about 1mm to get the sound to work properly. To me this indicates that the plug for the iPhone headset is intended to be pushed in farther than the standard N800 headset plug.

Having said that, if you can tolerate this quirk, you should be able to use other mic/headset adapters like the Monster iSoniTalk Microphone Headset Adapter for iPhone or the Shure Music Phone Adapter for iPhone (both found at the Apple Store for iPhone Headsets.) There is also a Shure model of the Music Phone Adapter for Palm Treo, but I don't know if that would be better suited to the N800 or not.

Having said all that, I don't own any of these products so I have no direct experience with them. I would prefer NOT to have to worry about how far the plug is pushed in to make my headphones (and microphone) work on the N800. I guess I'll stick with the built-in microphone until somebody finds something that fits the N800 perfectly.
I love my Full Metal Jacket phones, so recently picked up one of Griffin's SmartTalk adapters, which converts headphones into a headset. It's designed for the iPhone not the N810 and so I ran into the same issue about the plug going in too far...

Has anyone has made any further discoveries about what works?

I'm considering buying a female jack and converting the Nokia-included headset into this style of adapter. Any other ideas or leads?

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by KeepItFunky View Post

Has anyone has made any further discoveries about what works?
Has anyone made a search?
This topic was covered and solved in the distant past, long before the demand for iThings glutted the accessory market.
I remember posts containing pictures and links of a Y-cord consisting of a 3.5mm, 4 conductor male plug on one end branching out to two, 2 conductor female jacks on the other end. The wiring was correct in this adapter to enabled the use of any standard headset/mic (these headsets generally have two plugs - one for the mic and one for the earphones.)
Try to use a mic that advertises the elimination of background noise. I do suspect, however, that part of the loud background problem is an aggressive compressor in the Tablet's mic circuitry.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
You can get the N8x0 "Speaky/Mikey" adaptors (as we like to call 'em around here) from our site:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1996

We make them specifically for the N8x0 series and they will work perfectly without any modifications/etc required.

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
You can get the N8x0 "Speaky/Mikey" adaptors (as we like to call 'em around here) from our site:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1996

We make them specifically for the N8x0 series and they will work perfectly without any modifications/etc required.

-Rob
Wowzers! You guys are ***ing awesome! I've been looking for EXACTLY this sort of thing for a while and pondered doing a Radio Shack run for parts to do it myself but feared doing anything wrong (seeing as how I'm not much of a hardware guy).

THANK YOU A LOT!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
There's only one other thing I could want right now in this vein but has nothing to do with the N8x0: The same split headphone/microphone cable for regular cell phone 2.5" plugs. I want one of those so I can use the good, high-quality and comfortable headphone/microphone I have on my PC on the cell phone for meetings so I can block out outside noise. Haven't seen one of those around either.