Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by matrim View Post
MyDocs is around 28GB and it's unlikely that any apps will install there. Although technically an app could install there but it's not a good idea as MyDocs is not guaranteed that this will be available as it is what can unmounted when connected to a PC.
This is correct, although I believe apps are allowed to use the MyDocs space for nonessential data. For example a game could use it to store extra level downloads and so on.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Has someone GPARTED or any disk manager tool for maemo?

1. unmount /home/opt
2. unmount /MyDocs
3. delete /Mydocs partition
4. resize /home/opt (10GB)
5. creat new EXT3 partition for /MyDocs

Has someone already tried it?

Last edited by taril; 2009-11-14 at 18:10.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'm planning on making it around 3-4 GBs myself since I don't use up the entire 32 GBs I have in my n800 anyway.
How? I am OK with computers etc but this Linux thing is completely new to me. Could you put a walkthrough of how to actually achieve this on this thread because I really don't want to muck about with it myself and break my shiny new device the day I get it

I think 4-5 GB would be a good start as I will probably be using the mircoSD for all my media anyway, but I can't see me using more than 5 GB on apps!

Thanks

Not entirely sure what I am looking at here lol? It would be good if someone could post a simple way to increase the size of the /opt (as I understand it thats where our apps will mainly go to) for the people that know what they want to do but aren't sure how to do it safely

I don't know how to do it on the n900 (don't even have one yet). But once I get the system and have some time (if it arrives before Thanksgiving) I can see a Linux PC using gparted sees the n900's partitions. There are walkthroughs for the n800/n810 but I don't know how much applies. But I'll create one if I deem it relatively safe to proceed =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
I don't know how to do it on the n900 (don't even have one yet). But once I get the system and have some time (if it arrives before Thanksgiving) I can see a Linux PC using gparted sees the n900's partitions. There are walkthroughs for the n800/n810 but I don't know how much applies. But I'll create one if I deem it relatively safe to proceed =P
Ok thanks, I can see this being a problem for people if the apps start to get bigger/more of them, 2 GB doesn't sound a lot, if my maths is right thats 136 ish apps of 15Mb (largest case). Considering there are 490 for OS2008, ok people won't need all of them but plus games etc etc.....you can see where I am going with this....

If I find anything else from another source or someone who already has one I'll post it here, maybe worthy off a wiki page....if anyone is interested

Laughing Man,

After speaking to Qole on a different thread, its seems as if the 2GB /opt is not going to be an issue. So I'm just going to leave mine as it is for the time being, or until it does become an issue, please see thread below for details. Thanks for your help.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...467#post378467

Cheers,
Dave

I could see myself easily needing more than 2gb, especially if I want to get programs like open office running. I understand its workable on n8xx series devices with a few tweeks, which means it should easily work on an n900.

Originally Posted by captainqtp View Post
I could see myself easily needing more than 2gb, especially if I want to get programs like open office running. I understand its workable on n8xx series devices with a few tweeks, which means it should easily work on an n900.
This was my main concern, about large programs like easy debian (to get open office etc) but if you look at the thread below it explains where the "easy debian" package installs to. So the 2 GB /opt should be ok for standard apps downloaded from the repos, as is quoted by Qole on the thread below:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32620

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Is there a way to increase the partition size utilizing free space without having to backup installed apps/data etc?

Also - I would expect it would be possible - if I were to install something like the SNES emulator, I would expect to be able to dump the ROMs on a SD card or the "MyDocs" area (which I'm guessing is a FAT32/NTFS partition so as to be able to seen when connected in Windows). Would this work?

And I also second a step by step guide for those of us new to Linux... I haven't used Unix for many years now and my memory is hazy.