Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi,

I'm still waiting some people to test and vote for PyGTKEditor :

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...editor/3.0.0-5

Thanks.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It would be nice to have more testing going on, but i don't think the problem is a lack of organization, but a lack of testers. There is already a chronological queue of apps waiting in testing... start at the top (oldest) and get cracking. Or, pick the ones with the most karma (the closest to getting approved).
I did see this, but I don't think the chronological queue is the best approach. I did say earlier that I still agree with this system but I just think a way like above might help in getting things moving a bit quicker.

I think team based testing makes sense because we have team based building, so why not?

I think apps will get tested/developed faster if we each focus on a specific area of one app, get it to the next level (from devel to testing) and pass it on to people on the next level of the ranking system. Plus this way the more experienced guys are handling the difficult stuff and passing it on to the mid-level users.

For now (when I get the device) I will still be testing from the chronological queue, N95 on standby.......

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention this ranking system and organisation may help with the influx of new people as well, that want to get into testing but are worried/inexperienced this could be somewhere for them to start off with the help of the more "senior ranked" guys.

May help with tester numbers if we support guys and help them out..........

Last edited by davedickson; 2009-12-01 at 14:12.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hi,

I'm still waiting some people to test and vote for PyGTKEditor :

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...editor/3.0.0-5

Thanks.
Would love to help but don't have the device yet

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you think sticking with the normal queue system would work better?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
The short list of blockers for passing extras-testing is really not very technical; anyone could learn to test most of those things in a short while.

However, it seems that you're talking about testing beyond the shortlist for extras-testing QA--testing for non-blocking issues. A more expansive QA checklist and some people dedicated to their little niche of it would make sense in that context. The thing is, i don't think we have the list. And, as i mentioned, for now we're not even keeping up with the essential QA shortlist testing.

Edit: something that would be immediately useful is to edit a wiki page for would-be testers to instruct them in how to go about it. I suspect that fear of the unknown keeps and will keep away many that would otherwise be very helpful.

For example, a little overview of the need for optifying apps and paragraph on using df to check the space on the partitions before and after installing an app. That's what i'd prepare if i wasn't spending my time actually developing.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-01 at 14:27.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Uhmmm...

Wouldn't the garage.maemo project page for the application be the ideal place for such data. Testing should always take place beind the veil of a live app. Sure, some integration with the end-user-facing forum might work, but testing as "yet another area" of Maemo.org might be a bit much.

I mention this because I believe that garage.maemo is already hooked into bugzilla; if its not, then such a hook would be the ideal tech route, and then from the garage.maemo project page would be a testing area which links to the items in bugzilla relating to the project/code/version.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
https://maemo.org/packages/repositor...ng_free_armel/ provides the list of apps in *Testing* that want some love. The usual big warning: DO NOT USE THIS if you are a normal user. Applications may drain your battery or damage your device.
For more info, check http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/ .
For criteria, check http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist .

I don't know exactly how and who could something like the stuff proposed here could be set up and I'd propose to use one of the maemo mailinglists (maemo-community?) instead to ask for this, as this forum is quite noisy and it's often hard to track...

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The short list of blockers for passing extras-testing is really not very technical; anyone could learn to test most of those things in a short while.

However, it seems that you're talking about testing beyond the shortlist for extras-testing QA--testing for non-blocking issues. A more expansive QA checklist and some people dedicated to their little niche of it would make sense in that context. The thing is, i don't think we have the list. And, as i mentioned, for now we're not even keeping up with the essential QA shortlist testing.

Edit: something that would be immediately useful is to edit a wiki page for would-be testers to instruct them in how to go about it. I suspect that fear of the unknown keeps and will keep away many that would otherwise be very helpful.

For example, a little overview of the need for optifying apps and paragraph on using df to check the space on the partitions before and after installing an app. That's what i'd prepare if i wasn't spending my time actually developing.

It can't be that hard to create a QA checklist for every stage of development can it? If we could cobble together something then at least that would be start and we could build a more comprehensive QA checklist from there?

I think the main problem at the moment is the lack of devices! I believe that the shortlist will become very short once the device is properly released, but my concern is based in the fact that we will still have a lack of testers for devel and testing (not shortlist).

This is why I was trying to move to a more structured format, because at least then we will have a support system and have some actual numbers of how many testers we have and what level they are (experience wise).

I definatly agree about the wiki page, we need to make the process of testing more clear and get the information in one place. Your right, the fear of the unknown is the main stumbling block I think the community has to address. As you guys are going to be waiting forever for feedback

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Uhmmm...

Wouldn't the garage.maemo project page for the application be the ideal place for such data. Testing should always take place beind the veil of a live app. Sure, some integration with the end-user-facing forum might work, but testing as "yet another area" of Maemo.org might be a bit much.

I mention this because I believe that garage.maemo is already hooked into bugzilla; if its not, then such a hook would be the ideal tech route, and then from the garage.maemo project page would be a testing area which links to the items in bugzilla relating to the project/code/version.
I agree, another area probably would be a bit much, as I said rough ideas The project page sounds like a great idea especially considering it has/can be linked to bugzilla, that way we could centralise all testing and development and reporting in the same place (or at least links in the same place). Central models are by far the best format, especailly for things that are changing on a daily/weekly basis.

Hello,
I do this for open testing depository :
Application manager --> Application catalogs --> New
Catalog name: maemo.org extras-testing
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing
Distribution: fremantle
Components: free non-free

But I got error message :
:http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...armel/Packages 404 not found [IP:213.248.111.58 80]
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...armel/Packages 404 not found 404 not found [IP:213.248.111.58 80]

What can I do ?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
But I got error message
Does it work now again? There were some problems...