Active Topics

Oh, I just got a brilliant idea! All the apps that fail Extras-testing could automatically be demoted to Ovi Store!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Oh, I just got a brilliant idea! All the apps that fail Extras-testing could automatically be demoted to Ovi Store!!!
good idea

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, the other half of it was that we wanted to get Extras shipped enabled by default. To do that we needed to make sure Extras would meet certain quality standards. It's ironic that these QA requirements don't apply to Ovi. Perhaps we should email them a link to the wiki page?

Yup, I responded to this much the same way in another thread not so long ago..

>> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=12

In the case of the WikiHow application, I even commented in the space provided in OVI Store...

Who's minding the store?
by: yodude - January 24, 2010

This app is directly incompatible (Can not be installed) with the emelfm2 utility installed on the N900. >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=10

After it attempts to it leaves at least 2.5 M in rootfs. If emelfm2 is removed, WikiHow will install but now adds an additional 3 m (approx) in rootfs).
Fortunately rootfs is cleaned up once a complete install is removed but remnants of the failed installation will remain until then...
Not good for an app presented by the Ovi store. Maemo.org apps appear to have better QA.
>> http://store.ovi.com/content/23151?c.../23151/reviews

The immediate problem for many is that since the warning about optification first went out back in September or so, many good members have posted in advice or How To's in other fora that Maemo "Select" and OVI Store apps are safe for the N900.

If "WiKiHow was installed on the the phone prior to the recent update, I don't think there would have even been enough room to complete the update when it became available.

Nokia may not care about its reputation on the forums... but many of us do care about our own.

Until Nokia comes back with a definite statement about OVI and the N900 that recognizes these and other problems and short comings, AND outlines a plan to correct them; I believe I'm going to slow down or even stop any evangelistic, N900 posts on other forums.

Most people like myself hate retracting past statements. Because of that dislike we verify as much as possible but when installing every piece of software is not feasible, we rely on trusted sources. In this regard, Nokia is not as trusted anymore.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-02-06 at 17:02.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I wouldn't go so far as to say Nokia as a whole isn't trustworthy: it's a huge corporation, and as far as I can see there are some bits that are a lot less trustworthy than others. Ovi store and Nokia Care being top of the list.

Certainly I wouldn't recommend any ordinary n900 end user d/l stuff from anywhere except maemo.org extras. Suggesting getting stuff from ovi is 'safe' is just inaccurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Seeing how bad ovi is must be turning so many developers away from porting stuff or making new things for the n900, or well all nokia devices.. I find it funny that as the Ovi Store is so bad, application developers have made their own appstores where they sell N900 applications.

The only way to make it more unappealing for developers to do stuff would be if the developers would have to pay money to the people who buy their applications.

Originally Posted by Brank View Post
The only way to make it more unappealing for developers to do stuff would be if the developers would have to pay money to the people who buy their applications.
Don't be giving them any ideas...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Nokia as a whole isn't trustworthy: it's a huge corporation, and as far as I can see there are some bits that are a lot less trustworthy than others. Ovi store and Nokia Care being top of the list.

Certainly I wouldn't recommend any ordinary n900 end user d/l stuff from anywhere except maemo.org extras. Suggesting getting stuff from ovi is 'safe' is just inaccurate.
No ish... Now that can be said. How would you have responded if asked in October; "What are the 'safe' repositories for my new N900 and where can I find good programs?"

>> http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1578077

Suggesting getting stuff from ovi is 'safe' is just inaccurate
...and you knew this how and posted it when?

And BTW, I post a lot of stuff and I agree that if I make an innacurate post it does not mean all my posts are innacurate. But, I believe it reflects negatively and therefore I endeavor to maintain 100% accuracy.
Nokia should do this as well.

Maemo Select
Discover the best downloads for your Nokia N900. Here you’ll find popular apps, themes, and wallpapers brought to you directly from the Ovi Store and Maemo community.
http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/

SLN member # 009

HEHE, TOLD YOU SO.

(sorry, I just had to make this comment )

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
No ish... Now that can be said. How would you have responded if asked in October; "What are the 'safe' repositories for my new N900 and where can I find good programs?"

>> http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1578077

...and you knew this how and posted it when?

And BTW, I post a lot of stuff and I agree that if I make an innacurate post it does not mean all my posts are innacurate. But, I believe it reflects negatively and therefore I endeavor to maintain 100% accuracy.
Nokia should do this as well.
I guess I came to the conclusion after I complained that they were selling things that are unsuitable and nobody did anything. I wasn't aware about the optification issue until today. Paying for something you can't use fits my definition of 'unsafe'.

If you'd asked me back in October I'd have known nothing - not even that Nokia's app store was called Ovi. If you'd asked me in November or December, I'd have taken it for granted that by the time the Ovi store opened, Nokia would be on the ball. Now I know better.

Personally, I suppose my post comes out of a deep sense of disappointment. Here's a whole department of Nokia which could have got on board, shared the excitement of the next step in Maemo, and enhanced the experience: instead we have a 'store' who clearly know nothing about the device they're trying to sell stuff for - apparently haven't even seen one. And their quality standards apparently aren't a patch on those applied in the volunteer community.

So yeah, I didn't know how bad it was back then. I do now - and the more I hear, the worse it is. I no longer recommend Ovi. And that's sad.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
It's interesting to see how will OVI store 2.0 do. That Nokia at least says has been in the works since OVI store launched.

With S60 phones i used OVI store time to time, but with Maemo... once when i downloaded Angry Birds and the level pack. It sure shouldn't be like that.