Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
I'm afraid a long time will pass before there will be a device for me, because it must have pixel-accurate touch screen and almost every device in the near future tends to have a capacitive one for comfortable use with sausage-like fingers. And it must be an open linux device, not just java one like androids.
In my opinion, the only features that are missing in the N900 is a magnetic compass and water-resistance.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I am loving n900, but I need a spare device for developing, so I will buy the next maemo/meego nokia that will come out.

Well i was going to leave Maemo and go back to s60, but i had a think and im staying, i love my N900 to bits, and cant wait for the next device to come out xmas time.

Waiting for N9, unless it is just rumor or fake news

I'm pretty suprised that alot of people are still looking to buy the next Nokia models especially with all the concerns over ditching Maemo and slow updates.

Originally Posted by shaf View Post
I'm pretty suprised that alot of people are still looking to buy the next Nokia models especially with all the concerns over ditching Maemo and slow updates.
I've said it before.. I'll say it again.

I may have disagreements with how Nokia has run their devices in the past... but so far: They have consistently been releasing devices that are the best for me at the time I need them.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
As much as I hate Nokia management style, poor communication skills and customer abandon, I think I'm stuck with whatever GNU/Linux they have. I might complain about the N900, but the truth is, no device does anything close to what it does. I can ssh to it and use every GNU/Linux command, activate and deactivate things with dbus, configure stuff with gconftool-2, start apps, play movies and the like; I can use a full-fledged spreadsheet like gnumeric or openoffice.org calc or word processor like openoffice.org writer or abiword; I can easily play old games that I loved like Dune, Duke Nukem 3D and Descent, even Quake III! I can completely change and customize the desktop and I can install multiple operating systems on it with no fear, because it's virtually unbrickable due to its flashing capabilities. I can't think of too many things my friends with their very advanced Android or iPhone 3GS devices can do that I can't, save a few things like Flash 10.1 or proprietary protocol support (like LEAP authentication for wifi).

And all this while being open-source. I mean, Maemo 5 may not be 100% open-source, but due to the laziness of Nokia with proprietary arrangements like Ovi Store, most software for the N900 is free as in free speech, and that is a Good Thing™. Did you guys ever notice that this might be a huge advantage in the long run, due to reuse of components and code? Android's ecosystem has a few things that are gratis, but not many are FLOSS. iPhone's ecosystem is much worse, everything is closed tight.

That being said, I WILL buy the next meego device that comes with a physical keyboard and a touchscreen. I simply have no option due to the extent I use my N900 for and how much I love open source. If I buy an Android or whatever device, I know my experience will be much poorer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wigan,england
I'm really happy with my n900 does everything I need. Will wait to see what new meego device is like when it's released.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
what slow updates?
slow updates of fixes, bugs etc

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
i'm tempted to try android next, maybe droid 2. kinda curious to try developing something for android for comparison. though I have no idea what yet..
iin any case it's unlikely to be for another 6 months in which time anything could happen
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.