Poll: If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900
Poll Options
If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900

Originally Posted by digittante View Post
But (I'm assuming) that effort is significantly different/easier/less-time-consuming than coding/integrating new core features for Meego like Phone, Calendar, Contacts, Email, etc.
You hold onto those dreams as long as possible

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Would be nice...Maemo5 as the primary OS, an 8-16GB microSD with Froyo and another with Meego.

Venemo I agree to a certain extent. The only reason I would want Android is apps and games. Other than that I am very happy with Maemo5. That is why I want it to remain as a primary OS. But if they work on Meego instead of NitDroid, who says Meego won't be worse than Android?

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
NITdroid will be the fan favourite.
Why you ask?
It's actually going to have support by the devs!
Unlike Nokia's stance on Meego.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by digittante View Post
Well, yeah. Per the NitDroid's N900 port status page, the remaining hardware features to enable are:
  • Charging
  • Phone
  • Accelerometers
  • Unlock/Lock switch on the right side
  • Microphone
  • FM Transmitter
  • FM Radio
  • Camera

I'm not belittling the hard effort required to resolve those things. But (I'm assuming) that effort is significantly different/easier/less-time-consuming than coding/integrating new core features for Meego like Phone, Calendar, Contacts, Email, etc.
I would add
  • 3D Driver
  • DSP
  • Proximity sensor
  • Proper Screen Blanking

Though maybe the first two weren't on the list for a reason?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I would add
  • Proximity sensor
I was under the impression this worked fine.. it just didn't do anything? Means the hardware side of things is already set up.

Anyhow on topic. I'd use Maemo 5 and dual boot Android for gaming if I run out of Snes and N64 games to play.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hmm those are very surprising figures!!!

According to the poll, only 16.6% of N900 owners are happy to stay with Maemo!

A huge majority (83.3%) wants meego (45.2%) or android (38.1%!!).

That means if you recommend this phone to someone else, there's only a 1 in 6 chance that the person will be content with the OS that it comes with... and future upgradeability is still questionable (ease of installation, support and 100% functionalities should be taken into account).

And this is from a maemo community site, where it should have the highest concentration of maemo's fans.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Those figures are not accurate IMO. We are all humans. And one of the greatest strengths (and weakness) at the same time is that we are never happy.

Maemo could be ten times better than Meego or Android, but unless we try another OS we won't believe it. People always want something better, even if they have the best. Personally I am 100% satisfied with Maemo, but as soon as Meego and Android are fully (or almost fully) working, I will be amongst the first to flash my device and try it. But not because I don't like Maemo. It is because I want to try something new.

That poll would be accurate once Android and Meego are available, and users have tried them all. Then one can decide which one he likes best.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The thread title doesn't really match the poll question - does the OP want to rename the thread to match the poll?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
You forgot Neopwn BackTrack:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56997

Four different OS in your pocket.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
And this is from a maemo community site, where it should have the highest concentration of maemo's fans.
..from a poll in a thread which specifically discusses installing something else than the OS the device comes with. It is obviously likely to gather people who are eager to make the switch.

To the question of the topic, I'd say MeeGo as it has a professional team officially doing a HW adaptation for N900. NITDroid might have an edge in the built in application features though, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post: