Active Topics

Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
I highly recommend the OtterBox case for the n900. For about $30 US you get a very good case that fits exceptionally well, provides silicone covers for the plugs, and provides a screen protector. I bought one for my n900, and I'm very satisfied so far. The only "problem" is that it is a little difficult to remove the case if you need to change your battery or sim card.
Is it smooth ? Bcoz I had a silicon case that was pain in the ***** to take out of the pocket.

I have a zagg invisishield, prior to that I carried my N900 bare in my jeans and with the CP-321 case from noka, it got scratches both times.
Anyways, in the end it had tons of scratches so I replaced the screen layer and put the invisishield (but not before getting three (incredibly superficial) scratches).

In other words, get a screen protector. It is the only protection the N900 needs, it is built like a tank everywhere else.

Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
I've tried a myriad of solutions, haven't ever really been happy with any of them yet.
1) First was a Zagg Invisible Shield full body. Looked like crap and peeled up after just a few days.
2) Vikuiti DQC-160. Never stuck down completely, even after intense cleaning of the display. Had minor bubbles around the corners. Worked fine, just looked like crap.
3) Vikuiti ARMR-200. So far my favorite screen protector. Had it stuck down all the way on the corners I'd still be using it. Even tried a brand new one on a brand new touch panel cleaned with alcohol (when I replaced my screen/touch panel).
4) Phantomskinz Matte full body kit. Worked great for a while, started to peel and looked ghastly. The matte screen sheet made some text on the screen unreadable, though. Design oversight. Eventually started to peel, very prone to catching dust and dirt on the edges.

Oh well, I think its time for an otterbox and maybe a capdase matte screen protector!

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I use 3M Vikuti DQC- 160 for more then 6 months and I really like it, check out the pics
Attached Images

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of scratch. I'd say it's physically impossible not to have abrasive material on your fingertips for much of those 10 months - no matter how clean the environment. The N900 screen is plastic, the dust and gunk you get on your fingers can be as tough as diamond - put those two together and you WILL have scratches on your screen, even if by your definition you don't.

If you want your screen to remain scratch free, then buy a screen guard.
I guess that I jinxed myself. I now have one very tiny nick in the screen. Let's remove subjective interpretations of definitions and look at some pictures. Right click and select "View Image" to see the full image.

I call the above "pre clean(ing)" as opposed to "dirty" because it is nowhere near dirty enough for me to notice anything on the screen in use. But I took these pictures because it would be a while before I had time again.

Above is a picture after cleaning, and the nick that only happened after 10 months is below the "A" in Nokia. Note that the camera has set the exposure to make an essentially black surface gray.

The above shows how the screen looks while displaying content with a lot of contrast.

The above is the first image with content that I took for this message, but it doesn't really show the screen surface.

Last edited by j.s; 2010-11-15 at 02:01. Reason: added [img] tags

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Is it smooth ? Bcoz I had a silicon case that was pain in the ***** to take out of the pocket.
The Otter Box case isn't silicone itself. It's a hard plastic case. It has a silicone lining on the inside of the back that the n900 snuggles down into. The lining provides shock protection and keeps it a very snug fit. There is a frame for the front also that protrudes a bit so that when laying on its face, the touch screen held away from the surface by about 1/16 of an inch. One of the nice features of the Otter box is a silicon gasket around the kickstand in the back. The Otter box makes the back of the n900 flat (so it lies flat and still nicer than it does straight from the factory), and the gasket allows it to grip a slick surface and not slide around.

Overall, I have found the OtterBox to be an awesome improvement to the n900. However, I do have one problem with it. The frame for the front of the device feels a bit uncomfortable when you hold it like a phone against your ear. Other than that, I have no complaints

My first post at Maemo

Im using Otterbox too and it perfect for me. The only issue is, its bulky. It has plastic outer and rubber/silicon lining which will damp the shock from a drop or hit greatly. I dont think none of the other protector will provide that much. It comes with good screen protector too.

Got it for $22 + 3(shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-207-_-Product

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I'm looking for a screen protector. Right now just using a softcase and so far still ok.

I agree (so far)...
In other words, get a screen protector. It is the only protection the N900 needs, it is built like a tank everywhere else.
Installing outer shells will make N900 bulkier (that what I feel).

Just to add my 2 cents...

I went for the Zagg invisible shield. The full body one. Whilst I hear there have been a number of complaints, so far for the week and a half I've owned it everything has gone fine. I had 1 speck of dust under my screen cover during installation (my fault), but I barely notice it now.