Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Oh I don't know, this?

Date of last post on the Nitdroid N900 Announcements forum.

Please see the activities section of this page: http://gitorious.org/android-n900

The last activity is 2 years in the future (Jan 2012) , but even on days as recent as December 8th, we see work is going on..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I would appreciate if you guys take the nitdroid dead discussion somewhere else. This is about android 2.3 and possible port. Thanks.

bun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
i dont know the difference between each android version
all i want is nitdroid can be used daily (call, sms, camera, gps)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tubeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kulas View Post
It is much better to make Android 2.2 works perfectly on N900 first before porting Android 2.3.. Watcha think?
This is true.

It is much easier to get a proper Android build by using Eclair over Froyo, and Froyo over Eclaire.

Why?
Sources!
The Nitdroid dev is actually borrowing code from the AOSP and several android phones (including stacks and drivers) and meshing the ones that work together.
If they started with a new kernel, used the 2.3 AOSP, it is likely (certain?) that most of the "fixes" will break and will require fixing or replaced with code that is compatible.

So in short: Gingerbread = slower Nitdroid development
(it's just the way it is, unless Nokia provides the linux-derived hardware drivers for each component)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
why nokia don't make these drivers open source as it finished supporting Maemo5 ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uNsIs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Big corporation sees thing different than average joe. However, if there is sufficient request, and its quite some time after the EOL, they may entertain your request, case by case. Just my guess, not insider info.

bun

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
This is true.

It is much easier to get a proper Android build by using Eclair over Froyo, and Froyo over Eclaire.

Why?
Sources!
The Nitdroid dev is actually borrowing code from the AOSP and several android phones (including stacks and drivers) and meshing the ones that work together.
If they started with a new kernel, used the 2.3 AOSP, it is likely (certain?) that most of the "fixes" will break and will require fixing or replaced with code that is compatible.

So in short: Gingerbread = slower Nitdroid development
(it's just the way it is, unless Nokia provides the linux-derived hardware drivers for each component)
But it is this the main problem.
You get modules from other sources which use kernel 2.6.32 and you try to use on your device with a 2.6.28 hybrid kernel.

Furthermore MeeGo (for N900) is supposed to have (maybe not now but at least within few months) all drivers for N900 hw components.
And all drivers are open source (or at worst case some components are closed source but released directly by Nokia and updated to 2.6.35 module version)

So i see:
  • Same kernel as Android 2.3:
    • Possibility to easy apply google's patches to kernel sources without trying to do complicated back port
    • Possibility to take a compiled module from Android 2.3 phones (when they will exist) and try to use on N900 without (or with less) fixes
  • All drivers for N900 Hw available with sources or at least available as a binary modules compatible with kernel 2.6.35

So in short: Gingerbread + MeeGo's infrastructure = possibly faster and more complete Nitdroid development

Last edited by Fabry; 2010-12-10 at 21:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
It is much better to make Android 2.2 works perfectly on N900 first before porting Android 2.3.. Watcha think?
yes defo !

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
(or at worst case some components are closed source but released directly by Nokia and updated to 2.6.35 module version)
Doh, Achilles heel.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ pakistan
i agree.........

The Following User Says Thank You to rkpathai For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, gingerbread, i forgot woops, look future, throw past