Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Hi! It works well in Moscow, Russia - operator Megafon
Thanks,
Sergey.
N900 2.2009.51-1

Last edited by sss; 2010-01-14 at 16:12.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Basically all this "connect secretly in the background while connected" isn't really something that should be done (since it may break stuff horribly), and confuse the ICD - but yes, I'm looking into doing it, but I suspect it's *a lot* of work, and really, is manually changing connection when getting the MMS such a major inconvenience atm?

Regarding you only having a proxy on the MMS APN and not on the regular one, if you just fill in the field on your regular connection and then uncheck the box you should be able to use that connection to get MMS as fMMS doesn't currently respect the value of "use-proxy" or not, it only looks for a proxy configured and uses it

Yes, the "magic low level signal" is the SMS Push, which shows up as a notification on your N900 - after this fmmsd tries to connect to the MMS APN to fetch it, otherwise it fails and you can get it manually from fMMS GUI when connected to the MMS APN.

[...]
You read proxy setting and use it whether it's enabled or not ? Heh, ugly but I like it. I'll probably use that. I'm not sure about the pain with wifi though. I spend most of my time on an ssh session, so dropping connection is a pain. How would I know if I needed to do so? I assumed notification of an MMS is after the attachment had arrived.

As for alternate route add -net ... connections, well bluetooth pan and usbnet connections that I create are done by hand and the system doesn't seem to know about them in the notification window at all, it seems to work cleanly without anything knowing.

It's interesting how the tethering works with a natd process rather than kernel nat and routing, it's more like the old "slirp" tool providing slip/ppp interface at non-root user level. My e90 and n97 would let me tether and at the same time connect _again_ via 3G from the phone, I'd ssh in to a box and last -3 would show different IPs! The connected data symbol on the phone had lines through it showing multiple connections. Some UK providers barred this ability. I doubt we'll see this on Maemo and who would use it?

Multiple default routes at the same time like S60 permitted is unlikely to ever arrive, although the newer Linux ip command can handle the fancy new multiple routing tables the kernel supports. You may be able to configure which applications connect out of which route. Scary. I'd stick with a -host route add for the gprs0 p-t-p end point using the proxy. It's doable in sh so python should be as trivial.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by damion View Post
You read proxy setting and use it whether it's enabled or not ? Heh, ugly but I like it. I'll probably use that. I'm not sure about the pain with wifi though. I spend most of my time on an ssh session, so dropping connection is a pain. How would I know if I needed to do so? I assumed notification of an MMS is after the attachment had arrived.
Yes, ugly indeed, never added the additional check and it seems to work fine for everyone ;-)
The SMS Push notification arrives regardless of connection (as long as you got the GSM radio enabled and stuff) - if you are on the MMS connection it will open another notification ("MMS received" or something along those lines) if it downloaded the message successfully. Hope this clarifies

As for alternate route add -net ... connections, well bluetooth pan and usbnet connections that I create are done by hand and the system doesn't seem to know about them in the notification window at all, it seems to work cleanly without anything knowing.

Multiple default routes at the same time like S60 permitted is unlikely to ever arrive, although the newer Linux ip command can handle the fancy new multiple routing tables the kernel supports. You may be able to configure which applications connect out of which route. Scary. I'd stick with a -host route add for the gprs0 p-t-p end point using the proxy. It's doable in sh so python should be as trivial.
There was a lengthy discussion about this in the MMS brainstorm thread were people were experimenting with all kinds of funky hacks, but most seemed block by the 2.6.28-kernelversion iirc (thread at: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32129)

Working sh-examples on the N900 are welcomed and I'll try to put it into some ugly python hack ;-)

Thanks for the input

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdom
Regarding you only having a proxy on the MMS APN and not on the regular one, if you just fill in the field on your regular connection and then uncheck the box you should be able to use that connection to get MMS as fMMS doesn't currently respect the value of "use-proxy" or not, it only looks for a proxy configured and uses it
So, if I understand this correctly, what you are saying is that we can set the same proxy settings in our usal GPRS APN and this will enable fMMS to receive MMS through that APN if connected?

Last edited by robgue; 2010-01-14 at 20:47.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
You need to insmod ip_tables.ko and [probably] iptables_filter.ko - both are in kernel module library but are not loaded by default.

And "ip" application too, of course

But there are no conntrack family modules (and I am happy with absence of this performance killer), so - no NAT and N900 can't work easily as DSL-like router which hides a network behind a single IP address.

how do i save the picture or where does it save to once i get the message?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
SO happy with this. Hope this sticks around as an option/feature? I'm elated that I'm now at least getting notified when friends send MMS to me, even if it's not an image file.

It does leave one important question:
How does one delete the now un-needed duplicate APN one made before knowing this? I no longer need two now, but I can't seem to delete the new one I made in the system tools. Maybe a small update to fAPN?

If you're looking for feature requests, I have a few:
  • Allow for sending binary/non-image files (3gp, for example?)
  • Add a forward option, to re-pack & send MMS received from another.

As for the multiple-connection vs. auto-download issue: Can you detect what the current connection is? If so, it would be great, since you can compare it to the one needed by fMMS and auto-download if that's our current connection. If not, there could be a setting (always/ask/never) and possibly a UI/pop-up (for ask) to switch to our desired APN?

Great app, and thanks so much for getting it working! This was one of only two minor down points of the N900 for me (that and no AT&T 3G freq support), so I'm super happy that one of those limits is gone now!

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by tobylee View Post
how do i save the picture or where does it save to once i get the message?
I recall if you long-press on the image in the viewer it offers an "open" option to open it in the normal photo viewer. From there you can save it out somewhere else. By default, it stores the files in /home/user/.fmms/ in a folder based on the received message ID.

Just a thought, maybe a future version of fMMS may want to save the attachments in MyDocs/Images/fMMS instead (and if needed sym-link to it in .fmms)? I think most people would expect MMS media to show up in the standard photo viewer as well. I know I did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
cheers woody! it worked

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
It does leave one important question:
How does one delete the now un-needed duplicate APN one made before knowing this? I no longer need two now, but I can't seem to delete the new one I made in the system tools. Maybe a small update to fAPN?
If you added it with fAPN it should be listed in fAPN and be deleteable, otherwise you have to issue the same set of commands to add it but replacing each with --unset instead of -s (iirc, gconftool-2 --help-all is good otherwise )

If you're looking for feature requests, I have a few:
  • Allow for sending binary/non-image files (3gp, for example?)
  • Add a forward option, to re-pack & send MMS received from another.
Supporting the most common attachment is something I really want to do, so it's under development
Good point with the forward option, I'll see what I can do

As for the multiple-connection vs. auto-download issue: Can you detect what the current connection is? If so, it would be great, since you can compare it to the one needed by fMMS and auto-download if that's our current connection. If not, there could be a setting (always/ask/never) and possibly a UI/pop-up (for ask) to switch to our desired APN?
It already auto-downloads the message if it's connected to the correct connection .
I tried getting that spliffy popup but fail, granted I did not put as much time in to getting it to work like I could have - hopefully this is something to be added in the future as well.

Great app, and thanks so much for getting it working! This was one of only two minor down points of the N900 for me (that and no AT&T 3G freq support), so I'm super happy that one of those limits is gone now!
Thank you for testing and providing feedback (and sorry I can't do anything about the AT&T issue ;-))

Just a thought, maybe a future version of fMMS may want to save the attachments in MyDocs/Images/fMMS instead (and if needed sym-link to it in .fmms)? I think most people would expect MMS media to show up in the standard photo viewer as well. I know I did.
Good point, I'll think about that, I know *I* don't want my MMS pictures to show up in Image Viewer by default though *cough*

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python