Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Sounds like expected behavior when GV contacts are enabled

Yea, I'm concerned Google changed something

We could get a better picture of this by running the following program

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
sys.path.insert(0, "/usr/lib/theonering")
import logging
import pprint

import gvoice.backend as backend
import gvoice.addressbook as abook

def print_contacts():
	logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)

args = sys.argv
	username = args[1]
	password = args[2]

b = backend.GVoiceBackend()
	b.login(username, password)
	assert b.is_authed()

book = abook.Addressbook(b)
	book.update()
	for number in book.get_numbers():
		pprint.pprint((number, book.get_contact_name(number), book.get_phone_type(number), book.is_blocked(number)))

def print_blank_names():
	logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)

args = sys.argv
	username = args[1]
	password = args[2]

b = backend.GVoiceBackend()
	b.login(username, password)
	assert b.is_authed()

book = abook.Addressbook(b)
	book.update()
	for number in book.get_numbers():
		if not book.get_contact_name(number):
			pprint.pprint(book._numbers[number])

if __name__ == "__main__":
	#print_contacts()
	print_blank_names()
This will print out every number of yours and the associated information. Its a lot to look through but we can compare what happens when the names are blank

So save the file, and run it
Code:
python FILE_NAME USERNAME PASSWORD
I'll try this tonight. What username password, GV?

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
OK,

So I go in and disable GV contacts and disable GV

The entries go away

I restart GV with GV contacts disabled and they come back.

?
That ... is weird and shouldn't happen. In the mean time another thing that could be tried is to also set your addressbook polling time to "-1"?

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
The Maemo 4.1 autobuilder is back up and 0.7.6-0 is now available for Maemo 4.1 users.
Had to do dpkg -i to install 7.6.0. No errors with the install. Now where are the setting/options for onering. I can't see any difference in DC or rtcomm.

N810 WiMAX.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I'll try this tonight. What username password, GV?
Correct

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Had to do dpkg -i to install 7.6.0. No errors with the install. Now where are the setting/options for onering. I can't see any difference in DC or rtcomm.

N810 WiMAX.
I've seen the same thing. Mind filing a bug? I hope this is something I can fix on my part. Rather than writing my own UI I'm re-using telepathy-haze's UI.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I've seen the same thing. Mind filing a bug? I hope this is something I can fix on my part. Rather than writing my own UI I'm re-using telepathy-haze's UI.
Rats hate to hear it is not working for you to. Will file bug now.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
And not everyone minds using Python applications. Its listed in the deps for those who care.
I do not mind Python either, just not for something this small and having to stay resident.

I thought HAM was suppose to auto-remove dependencies when uninstalling an application?
Not sure HAM itself knows about it though

What version of Maemo were you using? What version of The One Ring? In what way did it not work?
Been using Maemo5. I do not remember the exact details, but it did not allow me to place calls and messed up the address book by creating multiple entries for all my Google Talk contacts.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
I do not mind Python either, just not for something this small and having to stay resident.

Not sure HAM itself knows about it though
The One Ring uses the glib mainloop. As long as its not responding to anything, it is completely off the processor. The times it responds to something besides direct user interaction is all configurable including doing nothing. At peak on my desktop I got it at 0.6% CPU

As for memory that could be an issue. On my desktop it peaked at 0.7% memory.

As for storage, I think new installations of python are optified so if you didn't have python on it before, it shouldn't take up rootfs. Come on, 2GB is plenty of space for applications

Been using Maemo5. I do not remember the exact details, but it did not allow me to place calls and messed up the address book by creating multiple entries for all my Google Talk contacts.
Adding Google Voice contacts is expected behavior. It can be disabled in the "Advanced" settings. DO note that currently TOR doesn't support System contacts so if you do not have GV contacts enabled, you have to hand enter each contact.

As for placing calls not working, this depends. Could you not enter numbers and click dial in the phone app? Did it give a general error? Did it just report "disconnected"?

The first two questions are bad things of "did not allow". The last means it worked! GV works by using a callback number. So you "place the call" which immediately disconnects, GV will then call your callback number, and then GV will call the other person. If if reported "Disconnected" and didn't try and call you,I recommend checking the callback number you have configured. It should be displayed in your "Screen Name" field in the account settings.

I recommend reading the first post in this thread, it has a lot of good info, including the stuff I'm currently repeating (I think).

For the place calls I found out you have to either..

Have an activate SIP account on the N900. For example, I have a SIPP # from Gizmo usually turned off, since TOR defaults to Gizmo, unless I turned on my Gizmo SIPP account on the N900, no calls would be made. So there are two solutions here..

a) turn on your SIP account # on the N900

b) change the # listed in the advanced settings to your cell phone #.

For the multiple contacts, that seems to come from your contacts having several phone numbers. I've noticed that you can delete them from your N900 and it won't delete them from the Google Voice server (though I did a backup from the GV server just in case).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

As for storage, I think new installations of python are optified so if you didn't have python on it before, it shouldn't take up rootfs.
Yes, it made complete mess of the mount table instead.

Adding Google Voice contacts is expected behavior. ... DO note that currently TOR doesn't support System contacts
Well, this apparently means that if you have a Google Talk account enabled (and most people who would use GV do), you get all your Google Talk contacts duplicated. Not acceptable.

As for placing calls not working, this depends. Could you not enter numbers and click dial in the phone app? Did it give a general error? Did it just report "disconnected"?
It did allow me to enter the number but failed to make a call. I no longer remember what the error was.

I recommend reading the first post in this thread, it has a lot of good info, including the stuff I'm currently repeating (I think).
Naah, I simply went back to using a regular calling card.

Well, this apparently means that if you have a Google Talk account enabled (and most people who would use GV do), you get all your Google Talk contacts duplicated. Not acceptable.
Let me rephrase that
Not acceptable [to me].
I respect that different people have different needs, Working to fulfill everyones needs though creates a paradox of requirements.

GTalk provides GTalk contacts. TOR Provides TOR contacts. In essence they are different. You cannot use one with the other. Every connection manager populates the list with its native contact types. TOR is no different. TOR goes beyond that though by providing an option to disable the contact list, its just not a default.

I would love system contact support. It is also the top voted for bug. The fact is its not working for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5