Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
The Android SDK has been out longer, but considering it's for devices that don't even exist yet puts things a bit in perpective.
What, that the iPhone SDK targets a very specific and limited set of devices, and the Android SDK targets nothing and everything at the same time?

Quite the perspective. . . .

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What, that the iPhone SDK targets a very specific and limited set of devices, and the Android SDK targets nothing and everything at the same time?

Quite the perspective. . . .
Until it is used on actual phones it is just another platform. A very promising one nonetheless. The number of downloads seems to affirm that.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-03-14 at 19:57.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
All I have to say I "hahahahaha"

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/14/iphon...-mass-mailing/

Even the willingness to cough up $99/year may not be enough to develop for the iPhone since Apple still have at accept your application.

Last edited by brontide; 2008-03-15 at 02:47.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Well, in its own way, I guess that is sort of "Wow" and "Amazing"!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

It can be better. Since all apps will be reviewed individually you can pay $99 and got all your programs rejected

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
It can be better. Since all apps will be reviewed individually you can pay $99 and got all your programs rejected
But you should still be able to load your own phone with rejected apps, I think... but this is Apple.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's interesting how many people ***** about the iphone in general and Apple's ways of propelling the iphone to commercial success (which in turn will make a sizeable userbase, which makes it an attractive platform for developers, which will make it a thriving platform which in turn benefits the user, etc, etc, etc).

Can anyone quote me a successful completely free and open platform with sizeable userbase which everyone seems to be clamoring about? Does such thing exist?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's interesting how many people ***** about the iphone in general and Apple's ways of propelling the iphone to commercial success (which in turn will make a sizeable userbase, which makes it an attractive platform for developers, which will make it a thriving platform which in turn benefits the user, etc, etc, etc).

Can anyone quote me a successful completely free and open platform with sizeable userbase which everyone seems to be clamoring about? Does such thing exist?
I think most Linux servers are similar. Sizable userbase being the companies that rely on said servers (and the developers being the ones who develop things for companies to use on said server).

Then again it isn't free (companies have to buy usually the hardware that it's ran on). Though neither is Apple for that matter (it's even less free).

Though really what benefit is there for us? Of course we rather see open things succeed (whether it be a NIT, Google Android, whatever, it benefits us compared to close sourced code that you'd only be able to run on Apple hardware). Compared to closed source code we'd never be privy too and if we wanted to use it, we'd have to use an Apple whatever.

So the only benefit is for those inside the loop. For those who don't like the loop to begin with, there is no benefit.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
firefox, linux, android well waiting to see success on that but everyones clamoring about it :P

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by HellToupee View Post
firefox, linux, android well waiting to see success on that but everyones clamoring about it :P
you forgot openoffice. i think its under GPL3 now...

on that note, firefox is still under that mozilla license, no?

still, i guess it depends on what one put into the word free, freedom or beer