Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Always nice with an update!

Is it good news or bad news? Can't really tell.
I guess they don't know. Time will tell. ROAST in the mean time like everyone else and shush

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
https://cdn-blog.jolla.com/wp-conten...5/11/Costs.jpg

This image tells you everything you need to know about the folly of the tablet from day one. As several of us said, an Intel platform was likely a dead end as far as any growth or other design wins were concerned, and was a total waste of time and money even if the hardware is heavily subsidised. The cost of porting the OS, AD and hardware adaption made up nearly 60% of the costs. What a titanic waste of time and money for what amounted to a vanity project.

Also I find Saarnio's version of events highly suspect. Main investor pulled out the day after SLUSH, huh, causing this mess? Why was the press release (now taken down) written a month earlier then, Antti? This was clearly happening with or without that investor. Furthermore, I'm sure them pulling out the day after he delivered his speech at SLUSH is no co-incidence. They were probably hoping for signs of life but saw none.
I do not think the graph above proves what you think.

Of course the development effort was not trivial, but it basically is a fixed cost, so if, say, there is a 300eur development cost for each of the 10k tablets preordered/backed, over 100k tablet sales the cost is only 30eur/tablet. Of course, you cannot complete a project like this on a kickstarter campaign only, you need extra fundings to start a business, and you know you will lose money for years before you turn out a profit, if you are lucky.

Also, if Jolla were NOT doing the tablet, they would have probably had to spend the same amount of money in software development, as they still needed to pay their engineers. Improving sailfish for the phone would not have had the same return of investment as doing a new project, and a new phone project would have the same kind of cost, but I doublt they could have offered a compelling offer for a kickstarter campaign. They could have made a phone based on old technology for a premium price, as the fairphone/puzzlephone show.

I doubt I would have spent 400euro for yet another phone when my current genertation Jolla still works fine.

So the tablet stunt made sense; it even got prise and awards at the MWC, which should have landed a few new partners... but apparently it did not land enough partners and the inverstors are getting impatient.

Maybe investors are backing off for real, maybe they are strong-arming jolla, we cannot know. In any case, Jolla is now using extreme and painful measures to keep afloat, and all we can hope is they manage through the hard times.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
I do not think the graph above proves what you think.

Of course the development effort was not trivial, but it basically is a fixed cost, so if, say, there is a 300eur development cost for each of the 10k tablets preordered/backed, over 100k tablet sales the cost is only 30eur/tablet. Of course, you cannot complete a project like this on a kickstarter campaign only, you need extra fundings to start a business, and you know you will lose money for years before you turn out a profit, if you are lucky.

Also, if Jolla were NOT doing the tablet, they would have probably had to spend the same amount of money in software development, as they still needed to pay their engineers. Improving sailfish for the phone would not have had the same return of investment as doing a new project, and a new phone project would have the same kind of cost, but I doublt they could have offered a compelling offer for a kickstarter campaign. They could have made a phone based on old technology for a premium price, as the fairphone/puzzlephone show.

I doubt I would have spent 400euro for yet another phone when my current genertation Jolla still works fine.

So the tablet stunt made sense; it even got prise and awards at the MWC, which should have landed a few new partners... but apparently it did not land enough partners and the inverstors are getting impatient.

Maybe investors are backing off for real, maybe they are strong-arming jolla, we cannot know. In any case, Jolla is now using extreme and painful measures to keep afloat, and all we can hope is they manage through the hard times.
Yeah you Are right. Nothing that jolla has presented Regarding tablet is what they mean since they have Done completly different things.

Personally I always thought Jolla was trying to build a tablet but was never the case apparently. Completely missed that it's was just a cover for the OS. Stretch goals, Yeah they were all fake as well as the campaign.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Yeah you Are right. Nothing that jolla has presented Regarding tablet is what they mean since they have Done completly different things.

Personally I always thought Jolla was trying to build a tablet but was never the case apparently. Completely missed that it's was just a cover for the OS. Stretch goals, Yeah they were all fake as well as the campaign.
I should know better than to feed the troll but...

I see no evidence they did anything but what was needed to bring the tablet forward. They wanted to invest in that direction, and the backing of the campaign was a way to taste the waters, and see there was demand for it. So they invested in it, adapting the software as needed to make it work on the tablet. And part of the work was useful in general, and we got it back as SailfishOS 2.0 on the phone.

So how were they doing "completely different things"?

The stretch goals were all software features, and too thinly veiled, and they got plenty of criticism during the campaign, but that only means they misjudged who their backers were, and how they could easily see through marketing speech. But I cannot see anything more malicious than that.

@Mikelima:
Well said. both posts are spot on.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
And part of the work was useful in general, and we got it back as SailfishOS 2.0 on the phone.
They could have forked a tablet version of Sailfish, or left the phone behind on Sailfish 1.x , exactly as so many mobile OEMs do. Nokia were really bad for this. In that case we'd all still be left hanging after never having seen Sailfish 2.x.

It's really funny that these trolls consider that they were somehow cheated here. Evolving Sailfish from 1.x for the tablet took fewer resources than maintaining two branches, and at least the new OS was actually released.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I should know better than to feed the troll but...

I see no evidence they did anything but what was needed to bring the tablet forward. They wanted to invest in that direction, and the backing of the campaign was a way to taste the waters, and see there was demand for it. So they invested in it, adapting the software as needed to make it work on the tablet. And part of the work was useful in general, and we got it back as SailfishOS 2.0 on the phone.

So how were they doing "completely different things"?

The stretch goals were all software features, and too thinly veiled, and they got plenty of criticism during the campaign, but that only means they misjudged who their backers were, and how they could easily see through marketing speech. But I cannot see anything more malicious than that.
So I'm THE troll. Thank you for your ignorance.

Usually I don't respond to people that don't respect other options, but in your case I can do an exception to return the favor.

They did did all stuff for the tablet yes. IF you consider an unlimited amount of money and time. The project can go on forever. Most projects and products have limitations that you as a company have to consider. So in the end they Improved the OS forever and ignored other costs like salaries,paying bills to lastu and probably others, stretch goals, deliver the tablet, correct info, payment process...

But I don't say you are wrong I just have a slightly different view. Hope that is OK.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-25 at 11:23.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
It really does look like Jolla's commitment to architectural excellence has shot them in the foot. It's sad because so much non functional work has taken place to build a secure and stable platform, but because the features aren't there - it might all be for nothing.

They did did all stuff for the tablet yes. IF you consider an unlimited amount of money and time. The project can go on forever. Most project and product have limitations that you as a company have to consider. So in the end they Improve they OS forever and ignore other costs like salaries,paying bills to lastu and probably others, stretch goals, deliver the tablet, correct info, payment process...
Seems like you intentionally disregard or refuse to understand the overall situation of startup company, which is that they are dependent on new financing rounds as long as there is no sufficient income to cover the costs. To get such income they need to develop something to sell (Sailfish OS) AND have some way to demonstrate it is a feasible product for others to use (spearhead devices like phone and tablet, even if they do not generate profits by themselves). It's not an issue of ignoring the other costs but reality that hit this time bit harder than before.

The other way could have been to just use tablets as demonstration devices for manufacturers and not to sell it anywhere. Of course we would be moaning about not getting them on that case too...

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Also posted in separate topic.

How to save the Jolla Tablet and Sailfish OS ?

Jolla should make available choices for the community to finance Jolla & Sailfish OS :

1) Indiegogo campaing to finance :
* finishing the Jolla Tablet deliveries;
* further developing Sailfish OS 2.x for tablets;
* making Sailfish OS 2.x for tablet available as an image to install on one or two popular and available tablet(s) (with open bootloader, maybe Nexus 9, etc).

2) Indiegogo campaing to finance :
* further development of Sailfish OS in general;
* making Sailfish OS 2.x for other smartphones as an image to install on some popular and available smartphones (with open bootloader, like some Nexus 5/6, etc).

3) Alien Dalvik could be a paid option to whom want it in these non-Jolla smartphones & tablet.

I would pay for the 3 above options.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-11-25 at 13:48.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund