Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
AFAIK the current system is Debian-based. This means that it uses the Debian's system (packaging) and all the split packages. For example, KDE is split into a number of packages for Debian. This also happens for a number of programs and libraries Maemo uses. Switching to RPM doesn't mean only that the system will be repacked with RPM. It also means that another distribution will be used, meaning (among other things) that libraries will not be split (the same way) and that not all configuration files will go into /etc.

Take for example /etc/network/interfaces. This is debian specific and most probably will be different (or don't exist) in Meego.

In other words: Debian goodies (except from packaging) will be gone.
One of the main reasons to purchase the N900 was to be Debian based.
I hope the community could push Mer as an alternative.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
This is superb news. Having Intel join forces with Nokia will increase the mindshare of maemo and should help it avoid being crushed by the Android/iPhone momentum.

Intel has done impressive things in open source e.g. paid for a lot of the recent improvements to Xorg.

The idea that the whole stack should be controlled by the Linux foundation rather than a single company is huge. I hope to see many devices in many form factors.

There seems to be be a lot of negativity around RPM/deb. It seems to me such a tiny side issue. As a happy user of Maemo, Fedora, Red Hat and Unslung I can safely say that the differences are largely historic. The small differences that remain are hardly the big news today.

I understand the concern from N900 owners (I am one myself) that their devices will be obsolete. But today's announcement doesn't obviously change the odds of their device being supported into the future, so I don't understand the negativity in this thread.

This is great news, and I look forward to the first release.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Take for example /etc/network/interfaces. This is debian specific and most probably will be different (or don't exist) in Meego.

In other words: Debian goodies (except from packaging) will be gone.
I am a Fedora user and contributor. So Debian goodies, as you call them, will be replaced by Fedora goodies. There is nothing that Fedora does better or worse than Debian. Each one has its idiosyncrasies. I do find RPM packaging easier, but that's only because I know it better. As for /etc, it's about the same, Fedora network config is in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

Despite this, I also concur that is does not make much sense to move from a Debian-based system. First, because it worked well and Maemo in this form has matured. Second, as someone pointed out, the lack of maturity of ARM-based Fedora.

But, again, this has nothing to do with inherent quality of both distributions. There are many things that I like better on Fedora, and some good ideas from Debian and Ubuntu have been integrated into Fedora.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gemi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by gemi View Post
I am a Fedora user and contributor. So Debian goodies, as you call them, will be replaced by Fedora goodies.
That's a valid point. However, all Maemo software currently is built for a Debian system. The transition will require a lot of effort.

I'd like very much to listen to the reasoning behind the transition. For example, it would make sense if there are plans for an official Redhat distribution for mobiles. After all they should be interested in selling support to mobile companies like Nokia, LG, etc.

p.s. I've a question (no intention on starting a flame): Is it possible to upgrade a Redhat system a'la "apt-get dist-upgrade"? IOW, do you think that OS upgrades (SSUs as Nokia calls them) will be possible?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Naples, Italy
Hi,
i think this fusion is very promising, especially for increasing of users the new platform can catch....More Users = More Developer = More App but on top of all More HACK

The Following User Says Thank You to Ne@polis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
It's not that simple. This is not a 'rebranding' - it's a marriage. The maemo community is going to have to connect to the different needs and expectations of the moblin community. That they don't use a forum is just one element.

Moblin seem to be highly developer-oriented, for example, whereas maemo.org is increasingly an enthusiast and user community as well. The Moblin community structure is completely different, too: they don't have an equivalent of the Maemo council. If it were just a rebanding, I doubt there'd be quite so much fuss all round.
I agree Moblin is more developer-oriented. Presently there are MeeGo blogs, but no discussion threads where anyone can start a thread, for example. However, if it serves Nokia and Intel that could change. Furthermore, as soon as there are devices out with the MeeGo OS there will be sites up to cater for the users as well, whether it's done officially by MeeGo or by affiliates such as Maemo.org. Just look at what happened on here in a few months time. So this community could be turn into a Maemo MeeGo community. As long as there are enthusiasts on here who want to drive it I wouldn't worry too much about the losing the Council aspect. Of course interest from Nokia will help. I believe it is in their interest to include or create forums for users as well.

That's a valid point. However, all Maemo software currently is built for a Debian system. The transition will require a lot of effort.

I'd like very much to listen to the reasoning behind the transition. For example, it would make sense if there are plans for an official Redhat distribution for mobiles. After all they should be interested in selling support to mobile companies like Nokia, LG, etc.

p.s. I've a question (no intention on starting a flame): Is it possible to upgrade a Redhat system a'la "apt-get dist-upgrade"? IOW, do you think that OS upgrades (SSUs as Nokia calls them) will be possible?
apt would be replaced by yum.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

That's one of the reasons I would keep Debian as the basis.

That would not be useful, since Redhat is mostly a server OS. They made the (in my opinion wise) decision to no longer offer a Home/Desktop version, so they can concentrate on the server business. This is one of the reasons their business still works well.

It is possible to make a YUM upgrade, but it is not as mature as the apt-get upgrade. The best and safest way is still to boot an installation DVD to upgrade.

BTW, YUM works well, but with a large number of packages it becomes quite slow. This is not a problem with today's desktop power, but with the limited performance of mobile devices, it will be an issue.

So again, as a Fedora "fan", I still advocate to stay with the current Debian basis.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gemi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gemi View Post
BTW, YUM works well, but with a large number of packages it becomes quite slow. This is not a problem with today's desktop power, but with the limited performance of mobile devices, it will be an issue.

So again, as a Fedora "fan", I still advocate to stay with the current Debian basis.
Yeah... apt works nice and never needed it.. but if we move to yum.. one of the first things I'll try to port is the Smart Package Manager... last time I used it on an RPM system it worked wonders.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Let's look at the bright side: those who kept those Maemo Summit T-shirts are now suddenly in possession of very valuable collector items :-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war