Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Hi, sorry about your keyboard trauma. As you noticed, this is a known issue and a very annoying one to developers and users alike because it requires extra work to fix Nokia's mistake and there's not really a 100% side-effect free way to solve it unless they provide one.

I don't consider changing a setting in a gui to be power user territory when it's plainly documented, but it's not ideal by any means.

Go here and vote on the bug. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7695

Getting back to prboom...as with many game menus, this one uses both up and down, and left and right arrow keys to navigate, so changing the left and right keys to move up and down won't help much. Doing that would be messing it up for those who don't have defective N900s, so it's not really an option.

The best option is the one i have described above--change your keyboard locale while you play, and then change back. Some automation of this could be done, but it will lead to other unexpected behavior so i'm wary of doing it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-06 at 12:17.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I played around with this a bit this morning and couldn't find a satisfactory way to map a key to call up the menu once the game has started by using the config file. I suspect it's hard-coded to "Esc" and will take a simple source code edit to fix.
You could remap the keys like this:

http://www.natisbad.org/N900/n900-ke...remapping.html

To get a working escape key. Definitely a power user hack but it seems like it could be a very handy thing to do, especially for DosBox games. I plan to add support for as many standard PC keys (F1-F12, Esc, special symbols) as I can this way, so that basically as many keys as possible on a US keyboard will be instantly accessible through key combos. When I do I'll post the modified file for others to use...if nobody else does it first

I don't believe that will work based on the comments in the bug report https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7686. What we need is a switch function or wrapper a program can use that will guarantee it full arrow keys regardless of locale. That sounds pretty much like a locale switch, and it could be, but i'd like it to be an officially supported solution by maemo, so it no longer becomes unexpected behavior and generates even more confusion and bug reports. That's the intent of the bug report. Go vote.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Here's a gift to all you francophiles, sisu-ites, and other seekers of the lost up and down arrows:

Armed with familiarity with the code to detect app focus loss and gain from implementing the autopause thing in a few SDL games, and with Ukki's script from the Duke Nukem package, i have added a workaround that is acceptably unobtrusive enough to all. No more apologizing for Nokia's follies!

I added code to PrBoom to switch to the "en" keyboard layout when the game is started or gains focus. It should also automatically switch back to your native layout (or rather whichever layout it was in when the game started) when the app loses focus or when you quit. This means that it won't affect your typing if you switch out of the game for a minute to get an IM or dash off a SMS.

This required a disturbing amount of mucking around with my keyboard layout set to "fr" trying to figure out where in the world the '.' and 'm' keys are, and with no back-buffer scrolling in xterm. The horror.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-07 at 04:07.

New Release
PrBoom 2.5.0-svn20091231-0maemo2: Return of the Arrows

Usage

You'll need an iwad file. The package will pull in the doom 1 shareware iwad by default. I've also been using the one from freedoom, which is, coincidentally enough, free. If you own a commercial variant, you can use those wads. They go in /opt/doom/wads.

Controls

Fn - fire (left thumb goes here)
Shift / Z - strafe left/right (below left thumb)
Ctrl - run (above left thumb)
a - strafe (right of left thumb)

top row of keyboard (qwertyuio) - weapon keys (correspond to number keys)

backspace - open menu/back to previous menu
, - escape the menu
. - next weapon
space - activate
p - pause. You can also pause by calling up the task switcher or another app. Bringing PrBoom back to focus will unpause it. Be ready!

Basically the controls are clustered around the fire button on the left (Fn) and the arrow keys on the right. Localized keyboards for French, Finnish, etc no longer need a workaround. This is a new feature and i'd appreciated feedback on whether in works.

Known Issues
  • No music. Sorry.

Where it's at

I've promoted it to Extras-testing, which means i consider it ready for end users. Now, it's up to testers to verify that. If you are willing to be a tester, please read about the Extras-Testing repo and make sure the package meets the criteria in the QA Checklist. You can find the testing report page for it here.

Have a fragging good time.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-15 at 22:58.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Thank you! Going to test later because right now my battery is almost empty.

Just great. Only thing anymore missing is the good implementation of manual to this whole messy site. You said earilier "I don't consider changing a setting in a gui to be power user territory when it's plainly documented", but first knowing that there is webpage called maemo.org, using this board and understanding how this page works, making search and reading couple of pages so i think this is consider in my perspective challenging to quite many people :P

But huge thanks for this! One of my favorite games of all time Wish i could find my own wads somewhere

btw. Last version didn't have any icon? Was it on purpose?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Just great. Only thing anymore missing is the good implementation of manual to this whole messy site. You said earilier "I don't consider changing a setting in a gui to be power user territory when it's plainly documented", but first knowing that there is webpage called maemo.org, using this board and understanding how this page works, making search and reading couple of pages so i think this is consider in my perspective challenging to quite many people :P
Yes, of course. There's a gap in the documentation aspect of Maemo. I commend you to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38014. Make your ideas and opinion known by voting etc.

But huge thanks for this! One of my favorite games of all time Wish i could find my own wads somewhere
You are welcome. Please give me your feedback as a doom aficionado. I had the user-made starwars doom wads all patched up with custom mods somewhere years ago--it was very cool. Wish i could find those.

btw. Last version didn't have any icon? Was it on purpose?
I think the first version didn't and due to my oversight on debian package naming precedence, app manager thinks the first upload i made to -devel is the most recent version. The one in -testing is the real deal.

To French, Finns, etc.:

I would really appreciate for those who have a keyboard without up and down arrows to test this and let me know if it works for them. If it does, i will use the same code to provide an automatic workaround fix in UQM and post a wiki note to help other maintainers looking for a solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
New Release
PrBoom 2.5.0-svn20091231-0maemo2: Return of the Arrows

Usage

You'll need an iwad file. The package will pull in the doom 1 shareware iwad by default. I've also been using the one from freedoom, which is, coincidentally enough, free. If you own a commercial variant, you can use those wads. They go in /opt/doom/wads.

Controls

Fn - fire (left thumb goes here)
Shift / Z - strafe left/right (below left thumb)
Ctrl - run (above left thumb)
a - strafe (right of left thumb)

top row of keyboard (qwertyuio) - weapon keys (correspond to number keys)

backspace - open menu/back to previous menu
, - escape the menu
. - next weapon
space - activate
p - pause. You can also pause by calling up the task switcher or another app. Bringing PrBoom back to focus will unpause it. Be ready!

Basically the controls are clustered around the fire button on the left (Fn) and the arrow keys on the right. Localized keyboards will probably need the workaround described in my earlier post.

Known Issues
  • No music. Sorry.

Where it's at

I've promoted it to Extras-testing, which means i consider it ready for end users. Now, it's up to testers to verify that. If you are willing to be a tester, please read about the Extras-Testing repo and make sure the package meets the criteria in the QA Checklist. You can find the testing report page for it here.

Have a fragging good time.
Thanks- plays great! How do you get the wad files in opt/ directory?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Assuming you have a wad on your media card:
Ctrl-Shift-x (to open xterm)
cp /media/mmc1/mydoomwad.wad /opt/doom/wads/

You can press the "Tab" button in xterm to auto-complete the directory listings when they are partially finished. If it's a doom2.wad file, prboom should use it by default (over the demo wad). There's also a facility in the prboom menu to select a wad, but i haven't tested that.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-09 at 00:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Thanks a bunch!

Any way to edit the CFG and have the screen filled more?

Sorry, a few more questions:

1. How do I change and use different wads?

2. Do they have to be named "iwad" instead of "wad"?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-09 at 05:51.