Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I really don't get that Nokia mentality with DVD code dumps.
DVD dumps are cheaper, Nokia gets ~100 oss requests per year, 5e per dvd sent is total 500e/year. Setting up repository server infra & hiring fullday maintainer costs over 100ke/year. You can count the cost savings...
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
DVD dumps are cheaper, Nokia gets ~100 oss requests per year, 5e per dvd sent is total 500e/year. Setting up repository server infra & hiring fullday maintainer costs over 100ke/year. You can count the cost savings...
Correct Answer!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
shmerl: community help are always welcome. read last irc meeting log, it was discussed.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Yet, all serious open source projects have that infra because they consider it important. Without it, their openness would be rather questionable. Understandably, not all can manage a cost of running the repository. Luckily, there are solutions like github and etc. which help with heavy lifting. Many projects still run such repos in house if they don't want to rely on 3rd party infrastructure.

In either case, having a public repository is a norm for real open project. Throwing code over the wall is a practice of corporate projects which do it simply to comply with GPL or other open licenses and care not about actually being open. I'm not saying Jolla is the later case, but the situation should improve in order for it not to look that way.

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
shmerl: community help are always welcome. read last irc meeting log, it was discussed.
I'm not sure community can help much with improving internal Jolla organization. It's their decision how they structure the primary code of the project. Community can of course gather pieces thrown over the wall each time and reorganize them, but that's not how it should be done and not the point of this conversation.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-06-25 at 17:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
you can help with setup git repository and making proper commit history for sources

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, most of the open Sailfish OS stuff is either in Mer packages or in Nemo Github repos anyway, right ? So it is not really like if the code drop was the only for of the Sailfish OS codebase, Android style.

BTW, what's actually in those big archives ? Source tarballs, SRPMs or what ? (haven't checked myself yet)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
tarballs in another tarballs

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
@MartinK: Kernel and various other parts aren't. It's all rather disorganized.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Also v1.0.5.16 was uploaded.
Source code of open parts of Sailfish v1.0.7.16 is also uploaded, see the email on SailfishOS.org Devel mailing list.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Source code of open parts of Sailfish 1.0.8.19, 2.6GB, is since 22/08/2014 in :
http://images.formeego.org/jolla/sources/
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: