Poll: Do you think capacitive is better than resistive screen?
Poll Options
Do you think capacitive is better than resistive screen?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I used to think that way, too, but it ignores the fact that one pays for a cellular radio they didn't need.
True enough. However, the capability of getting a carrier subsidy (bringing the cost way down..potentially to zero) outweighs that "un-needed" cellular baggage in many markets. Perhaps even the U.S. if T-mobile picks it up. Just because you get it on contract doesn't mean you HAVE to put your sim card in it...keep your SIM in your current phone and enjoy your free/cheap tablet

Again, that might not be the reality of all markets in which the N900 will be available...but that was the clear motivation as expressed by Nokia in the keynote speeches.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Hey man, my original comment was an opinion. Do i really need to IMHO in front of it? yeesh.

I didn't say I came down from on high, and this is my decree.

My whole point was, it puzzled me that if they were coming out with an iphone killer anyway, they didnt need to shrinkwrap the n900 into being a phone.
define: iPhone-Killer.
a phone, that does exactly the same as the iPhone but just is build by another company??? no, thanks.
i'm really pissed off, that everyone around me seems to "know" that capacitive is always better than resistive. then i give them my n810 and ALL OF THEM said that this device totally kicks iPhones *** (if it were a mobile phone). they were very very surprised that there are actually better screens outside than the iPhone's screen. they love it to paint something usefull (thanks lcuk for liqbase) with a stylus.
so i don't see the point why you're complaining about the n900 phone capabilities. or that a capacitive screen automatically is a iPhone-killer feature... if you don't like the phone inside of the n900... don't use it^^. but did YOU see the point of the n900? nokia don't need to hype a phone. they only need to use all theses hyped features (facebook, twitter and so on)(that in my opinion destroy all REAL social interaction but at the same time provide very fast information (twitter)).. then everyone want's to have their PHONE!!

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
smaller screen, no dpad, 3 row keyboard =

edited OUTSIDE post... you've been downgraded

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Ah, I was too hasty after all. Despite your crude attack on me earlier, I'll give you props for that.

The difference is: the X6 is no iphone killer. It's a nicer 5800 with a capacitive screen with unlimited music downloads. The N900, with it's far more extensible maemo environment, as far better positioned to take on the iphone (and android, for that matter). Different strokes for different folks...and all that...but I think the nokia folks themselves would have a little chuckle if someone seriously suggested that the X6 was poised to take on the iphone market space.

And again, if you don't want to use the n900 has a phone, don't put a SIM in it. It will still tether via bluetooth to another phone just as the N770, N800, and N810 before it did. I don't see the issue here. And again, for the rest of us who only want to carry a single device that does everything....HOORAY FOR NOKIA PUTTING A CELLULAR ENGINE IN IT!!!

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
define: iPhone-Killer.
a phone, that does exactly the same as the iPhone but just is build by another company??? no, thanks.
i'm really pissed off, that everyone around me seems to "know" that capacitive is always better than resistive. then i give them my n810 and ALL OF THEM said that this device totally kicks iPhones *** (if it were a mobile phone). they were very very surprised that there are actually better screens outside than the iPhone's screen. they love it to paint something usefull (thanks lcuk for liqbase) with a stylus.
so i don't see the point why you're complaining about the n900 phone capabilities. or that a capacitive screen automatically is a iPhone-killer feature... if you don't like the phone inside of the n900... don't use it^^. but did YOU see the point of the n900? nokia don't need to hype a phone. they only need to use all theses hyped features (facebook, twitter and so on)(that in my opinion destroy all REAL social interaction but at the same time provide very fast information (twitter)).. then everyone want's to have their PHONE!!
You are really making something out of nothing, honestly.

I made no reference to capacitive > resistive or vice versa.

Maybe you need to up your dosage...............

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
You are really making something out of nothing, honestly.

I made no reference to capacitive > resistive or vice versa.

Maybe you need to up your dosage...............
okay, you're right, i'm sorry. it's just in my head/heart for soooo long.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Damn, there be some sensitive folk around here.

I did like the whole "whoosh" thing. I personal like the option of having 3G although I doubt I will use it. It is more the carrier fees then the cost of the radio that bothers me.

On topic: I like the glass screen of capacitive, but prefer the anything goes touch of resistive.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
okay, you're right, i'm sorry. it's just in my head/heart for soooo long.
It's okay man, let it go

Opinions are like a**holes.... everybody's got one, and most of em stink...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Can we make an "I HATE IPHONE" thread somewhere if it's not already in the forum?

It'd serve as cheap therapy for the many fanboys here it seems

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can we make an "I HATE IPHONE" thread somewhere if it's not already in the forum?

It'd serve as cheap therapy for the many fanboys here it seems
yeaaaaaah!!!!!

edit: as you wish: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=321051

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2009-09-03 at 19:57.

smaller screen, no dpad, 3 row keyboard =

edited OUTSIDE post... you've been downgraded
LOL yeah I saw the outside update. Thanks, I think.

Anyway, you do have a point regarding the dpad. However, given the immensely improved touchscreen responsiveness and such, I don't think it's a big of a loss as many make it out to be. And the 3 row keyboard doesn't bother me a bit, personally..but perhaps I'm just weird. It's a HUGE step up from the T9 I have on my N95 or the virtual-only keyboard I'm stuck with on my N800 And since my N800 doesn't really fit in my pockets that well, I rarely have it with me unless I have a very specific purpose for it in mind (taking a wireless survey, traveling, etc). I've got friends who have a N810 who are the same way. What use is a Dpad if you find yourself never taking the device with you? Much better to reduce the size a tad, integrate all the needed functionality, and have something that you'll actually use outside the house (you know, that whole "mobile" thing..)