Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ovi doesn't strike me as clearly better .. or is it?
The feedback I've read here says that Ovi maps is pretty poor.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Might I suggest a vote for "Google Latitude support to Nokia N900" too..
Could be doable just through a patched browser for geolocation support or fennec + google latitude page

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
The feedback I've read here says that Ovi maps is pretty poor.
Ovi Maps is alright. I've used it side-by-side with Google Maps and been able to reproduce similar good results on both. I think it's more that people are comfortable with the Google interface and with the addition of Latitude it makes it that much more appealing. Personally I don't like people being able to find me whenever they wish but that's just me

I would still like to see Google Maps ported over to the N900 though if anything more than to have options. There has been discussion of Google offering navigation on non-Android devices but loading the app with ads to subsidize the software. If it got me 'free' turn-by-turn voice nav I'd be all for it. Still wish Garmin would come around and get something for the N900. On the e71 it works like a champ.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Well, I hope Ovi Maps and MaeMaps and our other solutions on the N900 are better than my navigation experience with my N810.

However, I guess all is not perfect over in Droid land either:

When receiving a call, the screen changes and the map is no longer visible. This effectively negates the Android’s multitasking capabilities, whose chief in-car benefit would be to use the phone and navigation simultaneously.
The power and potential of Google Maps Navigation has captured the attention of the GPS industry and tech enthusiasts, but this service has a way to go to be compared among the best solutions for GPS navigation.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...avigation.html

But there's a reason why the Android 2.0-based software sports that all-important 'beta' tag - and it's probably down to things like this: a turn that suggests driving the wrong way up a freeway before veering through a lane of oncoming traffic into a solid concrete underpass.
http://stuff.tv/blogs/usa/archive/20...l-moments.aspx

Repetitive voice prompts. Numerous UI issues. Street view doesn't help you exit highways.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355599,00.asp

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by egrims View Post
Ovi Maps is alright. I've used it side-by-side with Google Maps and been able to reproduce similar good results on both. I think it's more that people are comfortable with the Google interface and with the addition of Latitude it makes it that much more appealing. Personally I don't like people being able to find me whenever they wish but that's just me

I would still like to see Google Maps ported over to the N900 though if anything more than to have options. There has been discussion of Google offering navigation on non-Android devices but loading the app with ads to subsidize the software. If it got me 'free' turn-by-turn voice nav I'd be all for it. Still wish Garmin would come around and get something for the N900. On the e71 it works like a champ.
Getting Garmin to put out N900 software falls into the category of after-market support, for me. Along with extra parts, stylus and generally supporting their products. After my N800 experiences, I might wait this out and see what happens. I just feel a general sense of being let down as a customer and feel like Nokia's wasted a lot of opportunities. I wish I could get what I actually wanted instead of words of optimism and marketing speak for the current offering.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
OVI Maps is pretty crappy, even the online version http://maps.ovi.com/ is seriously lacking data of restaurants, bars, etc for NYC. For example, click on ovi maps, type in: "Chocolate, NYC" and max brenner doesn't show up. Pretty lame, Nokia. I'll have to stick with MaemoMapper and maps.google.com in the web browser on the N900.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
As someone who has decided to purchase the n900 instead of the Droid, what really bugs me is that Google Maps Navigation for the Droid is one of the coolest features, while navigation on the N900 is one of its worst features.

The GPS on my N810 is the most disappointing part of the entire device. It never works well for me. To hear that the N900 doesn't have a best-in-class GPS is the worst news for me.

How about a bunch of us N900 users who need best-in-class navigation get together and put up a really significant bounty for solving this? I'll make the first commitment to putting up a bounty.

Can any developer give some feedback on what it would take to make this happen? How much end-user interest is required? How effective will a bounty be? How long will it take? Can we realistically make this happen?
Not sure if you guys are also following this thread.
It looks like gnuite and others are re-designing Maemo-Mapper for Freemantle. I hope as part of the re-design, the functionality and ease of use is improved quite a bit.

I'm sure voice recognition won't be part of it, it sounds like that would be difficult. (Not sure really, I'm not a programmer, but if there were voice recognition libraries already developed this could be implemented.)

I remember in the past there was talk of making Maemo mapper capable of giving a 3d view, but this might just be a regular port of the original program with some UI changes.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31897

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
OVI Maps is pretty crappy, even the online version http://maps.ovi.com/ is seriously lacking data of restaurants, bars, etc for NYC. For example, click on ovi maps, type in: "Chocolate, NYC" and max brenner doesn't show up. Pretty lame, Nokia. I'll have to stick with MaemoMapper and maps.google.com in the web browser on the N900.
Shoot.. I can't even try any of the interesting features without installing a plugin. Weak. Even Google lets me do these things WITHOUT a plugin.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I can't find the thread that had the links for downloading Ovi map files without a network connection. Link is:
http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...ut_a_network_c

Does anyone know if there are Ovi Maps for Iceland (Reyjavik)? I am hoping to go there next month and it would come in very useful.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
Not sure if you guys are also following this thread.
It looks like gnuite and others are re-designing Maemo-Mapper for Freemantle. I hope as part of the re-design, the functionality and ease of use is improved quite a bit.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31897
Well Gnuite does work for Google now I believe.

But there's a reason why the Android 2.0-based software sports that all-important 'beta' tag - and it's probably down to things like this: a turn that suggests driving the wrong way up a freeway before veering through a lane of oncoming traffic into a solid concrete underpass.
You know it's funny that the whole beta thing is mentioned.. my colleague and I were talking about what to name the prototype that we would be asking people to test (with notification that this was just a prototype and any data would not be saved). I pointed out that Google puts the beta label on everything so we might as well do it too. I wonder if they will take my suggestion. Guess we'll find out sometime in 2010.

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I can't find the thread that had the links for downloading Ovi map files without a network connection. Link is:
http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...ut_a_network_c

Does anyone know if there are Ovi Maps for Iceland (Reyjavik)? I am hoping to go there next month and it would come in very useful.

Thanks.
Err the URL is in that link you posted.

http://handphone-solution.blogspot.c...0-without.html

But there's no Iceland maps on there.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
google maps maemo