Notices

Ok I've just installed it really like the time graph, very useful for finding the best place to stand for a strong signal.

One minor complaint the colour for my router keeps changing, would be better if an ssid kept the same colour all the time it is visible.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by fred123 View Post
I see 3.0-1 has just appeared in devel any new features?
Avoid it. Only a part of it works.

But have a look at 0.3.1-1 when it appears. It has a new feature and an eye-candy and it seems to work well :-)

As usual, be afraid of extras-devel and submit bug-reports and ideas often :-)

Very nice app.

Thank you.

Ok I've just installed it really like the time graph, very useful for finding the best place to stand for a strong signal.

One minor complaint the colour for my router keeps changing, would be better if an ssid kept the same colour all the time it is visible.
Well, it is supposed to keep the same color in time-graph (if not then it is a bug). I suppose you refer to the channel-graph. In that case, I'll add this in my TODO list.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I installed this gadget and out of app manager and when it starts the window just collapses ad crashes. Do I need to install anything else?

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I installed this gadget and out of app manager and when it starts the window just collapses ad crashes. Do I need to install anything else?
Open a terminal and run "wifieye". If it crashes it will (most probably) show some error messages . If you can show me those messages I may be able to fix the problem.

EDIT: If you used version 0.3.0 then this is expected behavior. Use 0.2.1-1 or 0.3.1-1.

I have loaded 3.1-1.

The time graph in 3.0-1 was much smother, this version is very jerky and leaves gaps in the graph when the display goes black and after a couple of timeouts the graph stops working even if I switch to channels and back again.

I have loaded 3.1-1.

The time graph in 3.0-1 was much smother, this version is very jerky and leaves gaps in the graph when the display goes black and after a couple of timeouts the graph stops working even if I switch to channels and back again.
The jerkiness is a side-effect of the new timer. I'll fix that in a new version but be sure that this version avoids the problem when a scan could take more than a second.

As for the gaps, I can't see them. Can you give a screenshot or some more info on how I may reproduce them?

Also, what you mean by "timeouts"?

I have back light timeout set to 30 when the screen goes black there are gaps in the graph see screenshots.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to fred123 For This Useful Post:
I have back light timeout set to 30 when the screen goes black there are gaps in the graph see screenshots.
Got it. This should happen with 0.3.0 too. I suppose that the device lowers its speed and that it takes more time to prepare the wlan0 interface when it is down. I didn't have this problem because I was always connected to wlan.

To fix this edit /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/wifieye/scan.py and:
a) add "import time" at the beginning, along with other imports
b) find the line "subprocess.call(["/sbin/ifconfig", iface, "up"])" and after that (before the try) add the line: "time.sleep(0.3)". Be sure to use the same number of spaces as the other lines.

It will make the graph more slow but it will not have gaps.