Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
In what way shape or form is Ubuntu too 'Windows-like'?
My mrs has Ubuntu on a 10" white netbook and it looks exactly like OS X...not like windows one bit!
I have an installation on my desktop using the standard theme and ...well I can only say it looks 'Ubuntu-like'.

They both have a desktop...normally with things on...you use a mouse, keyboard, look at a monitor...I think that really is as far as the similarities go!
How many changes can you do in Ubuntu during installation process? Can you select every package you want to be or not to be installed? Does Ubuntu have a control center (NOT Gnome control center) which can permit you to tweak EVERYTHING (firewall, services, kernel parameters, network, etc)? How many times your mrs uses terminal? Because you can't learn Linux if you don't use the shell...

I mean, on Ubuntu you can do everything you can do in every other distro, but everything is a bit hidden...like in Windows.
You want to modify the firewall? You have to install an external program or to do it via shell (It's right? Maybe things are changed, correct me if I'm wrong!).

As ossipena said, probably the real way to learn Linux is using Gentoo, but I think Gentoo is at the opposite side: a new Linux user coming from Windows could feel a bit scared in front of this distro, Gentoo is for advanced users. For example, probably, a Gentoo user prefers to modify the firewall using iptables, without using a graphical ui.

openSUSE is in the middle: not too complicated, not too simple, an ideal starting point. You want to modify the firewall? You can do everything from Yast, a control center which is very "Windows-like", but much more powerful than Control Panel in Windows.

So, my answer is: try some of these distros and choose the one you feel more comfortable with. It's never easy to choose...

The Following User Says Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
OpenSuse is one of the best supported distros IMHO both by Suse themselves and by third party applications.

http://www.opensuse.org

Dead easy to install using any method you prefer.

rgds
Gotta admit Suse/OpenSuse is VERY newb friendly. It is where I started from and the DVD distros come packaged with the most software I have ever seen for a linux OS.

I am running Ubuntu and this is a better for getting your teeth into the shell/Command Line as I found suse did shy away from getting newbies to use this.

Both are great IMO

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Your best bet is to try a few different live CD's and see which one you like best.

A discussion like this is never gonna have just one good answer - it's rather like asking "what car should I buy". Everyone will have different opinions for different reasons.

FWIW, I'm a big Ubuntu fan and have been a UNIX SysAdmin for far too many years using SCO Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, Redhat, SuSE, BSD, etc etc etc.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
I'm not gonna mention a distribution to use. I would like to say though that the N900 made me switch to LINUX..ubuntu in fact and I love it so much. No more worries about drivers and viruses. everything just works....and its all thanks to the N900.

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and straight away wiped it off!!! I still cant convince my fellow Windows users!! They think Linux is too geeky!

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by jedi View Post

A discussion like this is never gonna have just one good answer
In Linux world, this is THE Discussion...

The Following User Says Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
Yeah, like everyone said. Ubuntu is definitely one of the better options. Fedora is ok.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that is nothing! you have to start with gentoo and build your own kernel and apps!!!!! there is no way besides that to be tru3 l1nux!!!
I'd have to second this notion, though I went the "Arch Way". But as discussed on multiple occasions, your preferred linux distro is mostly a matter of personal preference.

Mint 10/Ubuntu 10.10/OpenSUSE are probably the easiest to dabble with in terms of installation and daily use, but as mentioned earlier, they really don't "teach" you anything. You end up with a Windows-like environment with no idea what goes on inside the box. Gentoo and Arch Linux might seem intimidating at first (took me 4 times before I got Arch installed the correct way on to my Alienware latpop), however, after the multiple missteps, wiki/google searches and so on, you will come out much more linux-savvy.

So, on one extreme you have the ready-out-of-the-box, yet somewhat "bloated", Ubuntu/OpenSUSE line-up, and on the other end, the slim Gentoo/Arch with total user control with your choice of window manager(s), desktop enivronment(s) etc. Not to say you can't trim down on Ubuntu or SUSE, just that Gentoo and Arch allow you to customize about everything you can imagine about your OS right from the get-go.

Either way you decide to go about it, Linux will change your PC/laptop experience for the positive, guaranteed!

EDIT: good run-down on what's going on the world of linux distros, check out www.distrowatch.com

Last edited by frostbyte; 2010-10-21 at 15:13.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bangalore, India
So many Linux distros to chose from! If that alone gives you a headache, then try this Linux Distribution Chooser
It's an online questionnaire that you have to answer, and based on the answers will let you know which distro is best suited for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitwalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Oh no.... Ubuntu is too noobish.... Try Debian... It's one of the 3 main GNU/Linux distros, and unfortunately, Ubuntu is based on it! lol
I hate Ubuntu... Too fat.. Too M$ W$ like!

And by the way... Don't say Linux... GNU/Linux!

Last edited by AMLJ; 2010-10-21 at 16:17.

One problem I have run into with Linux is hardware support for certain peripherals. Although I have found Ubuntu's hardware support to be very good, in general, some brands are better supported than others. For webcams, I think Logitech is better supported than Windows LifeCam. I think that HP printers are better supported than some other brands. I mention this b/c it's nice to discover these things before you purcha$e a "less-supported" peripheral.

I hasten to add that Windows is not immune to this hardware compatibility problem. My parents-in-law purchased Dell Win XP computers with a Dell printer several years ago. They just purchase new Dell Win 7 computers and -- guess what? They don't work with the old Dell printer! You probably picked up on the fact that these are all Dell components. And wasn't Windows Vista notorious for hardware problems? The main difference is that if it's Windows you suck it up and just buy the supported hardware but with Linux people complain. But the counter argument, I think is -- look how much money you saved by not having to buy all that commercial software (Windows, Office, antivirus, etc.)! Is it so bad to have to buy specific supported hardware in a few cases & to have to do a little research? Mostly it's mindset shift that you have to get used to.

Which leads into a freaking awesome part about Linux -- all the free apps! It's like being a kid in a candy shop on handout day. OpenOffice.org! Amarok! VLC Media Player! Stellarium! Celestia! KeePass! Firefox! Chrome! Picasa! Google Earth! The GIMP! The list goes on & on. Some of the programs have geeky interfaces, but there's a lot that's very usable. And, just like with Maemo, if you like, you can contribute bug reports and design input and wiki documentation and donations.

So, have fun!