Sure does.

Oh hey, look at that. A phone. In a dock. With a screen, mouse, keyboard, and more. Can't say I didn't see this coming ages ago.

Too bad Motorola insists on retaining enough control over the device to say "your device is permanently obsolete, starting now." Shame that TiVOized devices seem to be the way of the future.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Oh hey, look at that. A phone. In a dock. With a screen, mouse, keyboard, and more. Can't say I didn't see this coming ages ago.

Too bad Motorola insists on retaining enough control over the device to say "your device is permanently obsolete, starting now." Shame that TiVOized devices seem to be the way of the future.
Every word! I agreed with EVERY goddamned word you said.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Hmm, Motarola also use those efuse thingies to prevent you loading your own firmware, so not much chance of Meego-ifying it, but the hw spec is pretty impressive (but no hw kb)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Every word! I agreed with EVERY goddamned word you said.
If they'd stop doing that crap and I could buy one unlocked, you know, I might seriously consider it...

... to hack and put MeeGo or somesuch on it.

I'd probably even get the dock kit too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I would have rather seen the phone as the touch pad, and the phone OS blown up to the big screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
With bluetooth keyboard and mouse plus the TV-out cable you can "dock" your N900 on just about anywhere with a TV screen.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
With bluetooth keyboard and mouse plus the TV-out cable you can "dock" your N900 on just about anywhere with a TV screen.
Indeed, however it would be better if such bluetooth attachments worked out of the box. Additionally, the TV-Out is pathetic compared to an HDMI connection, never mind what seems to be support for USB devices beyond a mouse and keyboard.

I like the concept shown here, but what I know of Motorola's attitude (never mind hardware and carrier nitpicking) kills it for me. I'm hoping someone else runs with the concept and loosens the reins a bit.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-01-06 at 22:01. Reason: teh grammers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
You're effectively arguing for using your phone the way you used to use an Atari 2600 VCS, by plugging your device into an old NTSC standard def signal. I think people today are looking for a good, sharp high-def digital signal, or at the very least VGA. These devices do that--what does your N900 do again?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What does your N900 do again?
It put a blurry picture on my HDTV for about 30 seconds a year ago before I said "nifty" and never used it again!

HDMI + Dock might improve that duration, for sure, if not on my TV.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
epic win, fanbois cry, just shoot me, phone for kids, poo eaters, toyoyoyoy...