Closed Thread
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Re launch times, it takes 25secs for OpenOffice to launch in my Diablo system: from tap on launch to the display of the OOO menu. The same test with Abiword (which I installed in the easy Debian image) launches in 20secs on my N800.
Denis, your record on OOO is amazing. Is it from plain easy debian from Qole? And - are you calling OOO from the lxde desktop or the maemo menu system?

EDIT Aha I bet you're not calling oowriter but ooffice - the one you can choose which file to open or which app to start - hence 25 secs arein line with what I get too. Let me know how long does it take from a "debbie oowriter" to an usable window, please.

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-10-02 at 13:59.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Denis, your record on OOO is amazing. Is it from plain easy debian from Qole? And - are you calling OOO from the lxde desktop or the maemo menu system?

EDIT Aha I bet you're not calling oowriter but ooffice - the one you can choose which file to open or which app to start - hence 25 secs arein line with what I get too. Let me know how long does it take from a "debbie oowriter" to an usable window, please.
I am calling everything from the maemo menu system. You are right, once things are cached oofice comes up in 25s... as for oowriter, the very first time took under 90s, the next time it took a tad over 60s.

Does that match your figures? Yes, I am on the latest Diablo update and with Qole's Easy Debian system. The version of OOO in Qoles package is v2.4.1.

-- Denis

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
[snip]
Re: FBREADER and the problem with Xbindkeys, I am afraid there's yet a more serious problem with this app. It has to do with the matchbof.defs hack. When active, FBREADER menus open way big and overflow the available screen space... and become thus unuseable.

What functionality does the hack truly enable? In LXDE, windows are fully moveable and resizable without this hack being active... so I am curious what do you actually need it for?
[snip]
FBReader:
Many apps, not just FBReader, have this exact problem when the matchbox.defs hack is installed. You can drag the window untill "you get it in the right spot", but this is a major pain, especially if you frequently use an application that has this confliction.

Personally, I removed the hack because of the reason you stated above. The hack is there so you can drag bigger-than-the-screen debian application dialog boxes around in the matchbox window manager. If you're like me, and use LXDE 99% of the time for running debian applications, I'd say get rid of it, but else, no. I should warn you, if you get rid of the hack, GIMP is no longer useable on a tablet e.g. GIMP + LXDE don't mix

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Originally Posted by qole View Post
A tarball of the Easy Debian Final image rootfs is available for those of you who prefer to use a partition.
Is this tarball supposed to replace the ".img.ext2" file?
If so - how can i use this tarball?
Hardware: N810 (latest diablo installed)
Software: Chroot.easy.deb 0.9-8 + auto installed the debain.img.ext2 file on my MMC2.
I ran out of space (i did purge the locales first!) after installing & uninstalling korganizer & tried to install evolution. The download of the files was fine - yet while installing it ran out of space.
Therefore i formated MMC2 in ext2 (didn't uninstall the easy.chroot.deb) and tried:

-> Untar the tarball on my ubuntu system:
I need admin rights & it untar's into one folder called "debian final" (something like that at least)
-> Put the folder on my internal (MMC2) Disk on the N810 (the disk is formated in ext2)
=> Doesnt work:
"missing debian.img.ext2 file"

I put the folders (usr, bin, ....) directly on MMC2
=> Doesnt work:
When starting chroot (from task bar) i get a terminal window for less then a second - so i can't even guess what the error msgs might be.

I'll try another complete reinstall (aprox the 10th this week) in about 2h.
Maybe one can tell me until then, how to propper use the tar file. I dont want to be limited to the img file.
BTW - why the img file after all? why not just a formated ext2 (ext3?) partition & not being dependet on the size of the img file anymore?
As a side effect, i can imagine it should bring some speed boost too, as the program doesn't need to work in a filestructure, packed into an img file, or am i wrong?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Qole, do you think that putting both the maemo rootfs *and* the debian rootfs (under /debian) in the same partition, *without* mounting, could bring some more speed? This could be done with 8gigs or 16gigs transflash cards with ease...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
2beers: Please see this thread on setting up your Easy Debian in a partition using the tarball. One important thing to remember when reformatting; always leave a small fat32 partition at the beginning of your mmc, and then format the rest as ext2.

Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
BTW - why the img file after all? why not just a formated ext2 (ext3?) partition & not being dependet on the size of the img file anymore?
Because this project is about making it easy, and as you have found out, formatting partitions is hard.

Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
As a side effect, i can imagine it should bring some speed boost too, as the program doesn't need to work in a filestructure, packed into an img file, or am i wrong?
That used to be true, but the latest version uses the dm-loop which is almost the same speed as a partition.

debernardis: It definitely would work, but the only way to find out how much faster it is (if it is any faster at all) ... is for you to try it!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Building another deb for testing. This one will have some more refinement in the area of the matchbox keyboard. I spent some time hacking on the XML definition file, making the keyboard work properly in all environments. I also have developed an experimental one-line mini-keyboard, trying to get the most useful keyboard possible in the least amount of space. I want people to install it and try out the keyboards. This especially means I need help from any N800 users out there, who have no recourse to a slide-out hardware keyboard.

Hey, if you're re-releasing, mind making sure /home/user/.xbindkeysrc.scm is not owned by root this time? I'm still hacking on that, but should have some suggestions by the weekendend.

And I look forward to the better keyboard as well... but I've got one thought: We might be able make application windows avoid it, either by setting it up as a panel (with some WM hints, I guess...) or by making a panel under it of an appropriate size? Just a thought I had yesterday, and I can't be the first, so there's probably a good reason it's not been implemented yet...

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Hey, if you're re-releasing, mind making sure /home/user/.xbindkeysrc.scm is not owned by root this time?
Yeah, I discovered that omission. Will be fixed.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
We might be able make application windows avoid it, either by setting it up as a panel (with some WM hints, I guess...) or by making a panel under it of an appropriate size? Just a thought I had yesterday, and I can't be the first, so there's probably a good reason it's not been implemented yet...
I for one have no idea how to do that with the tools available to me. Show me, and I will make it so!

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-05 at 04:01.

Me either, really. Once I get happy with my keybindings, I'll take a look at it.

Say, what are your feelings on including another program, specifically xte? It appears to be playing a role in my solution... although while typing this I suddenly thought of another option that might be tidier anyhow.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete