Notices

I believe in Free Open Source Software. I believe in common work to create good software. I have received far much more from Maemo community than I have given.

I have pirated ALL the Windows software I had used until I abandoned Windows and came to Linux world years ago. Never paid for Windows software. I have had no moral problems to do that. Now, if I had to use Windows software for work (software as woorktool), I would pay for it.

Last years I am using Linux. Past year I bought an n900, my great pocket computer. Yea, I could do my own applications, but I am not so skilled. Most of my favorite applications for n900 are community developed. Free and Open Source.

Arguing about numbers owning is a nonsense. Even argues about GPL are just boring me (with all the respect, not trying to bother). This aurgues are not convincing me about donate or not donate.

I downladed lxp's driver from link, not donating, and weeks after that I donated. Had I been still student, I probably would not donate. But now I have a job, I can donate, and I wanted to donare not because he forces donating in his page (I allready had downloaded the drivers), but because I have followed the neopwn thing and his story, and I think he deserves our donations.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Please devote this thread to the discussion of the driver announced in the first post and technical problems, successes, questions, and the like surrounding it. The debate of issues surrounding intellectual property fits better in the existing thread, "What is 'piracy' and is it ever justified".

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
Is there a way to detect if this driver is currently loaded?
lsmod | grep wl12..

If you see wl12xx, that's the stock driver. If you see wl1251 that's lxp's driver.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
No, money is not a number, just because i know the number one thousand it doesn't mean i have one thousand Dollars. If i have one hundred Dollars i own one hundred Dollars but not the number one hundred, anyone can write the number one hundred, or accumulate one hundred of somthing; and if you also got one hundred Dollars i still got my own one hundred Dollars.
If money is not number then so is binary. Binary is not really number itself but just uses numbers to represent a sequence of machine dialect. You could use also "on" and "off" for binary also "A" & "B" and so many more but it's just the number 0 & 1 is the most common as those 2 values represent the boolean concept of true or false.

@sjgadsby
Sorry but what I said isn't about piracy but instead explaining what is binary.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
If i copy someone's data i'm not stealing their hard disks, they get to keep their bits.

So upload the entire contents of your drives, as they currently sit.

Or do you have something against sharing "bits" that are yours?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
That would take a few days to complete, and then several more for the upload; and i doubt there would be enough interest to justify hogging my machine and bandwidth for several days, and where would i even find a webhost willing to give me more than a Terabyte of space and several multiples of that in bandwdth all for free?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post

Perhaps you missed the entire point of the thread... In this case, the author was under contract, and the contractor did breach that contract. It would have been very difficult to recover anything from the contractor though, so instead the author ask if people would be willing to pay something for his work to help compensate for his time in exchange for releasing it.

Understand, he was under no obligation to release it. But he did because people here were willing to help compensate him for it. Then people started offering copies of his work for free, and made disparaging remarks against him for attempting to get money for his work. That's the stem of this entire debate. The fact that you don't know that shows you're not even paying attention to whats happening in this thread.
I agree with the mod above, this debate is out of place here.This I need to clarify here tho - I was aware of the situation with lxp, I had no problem donating to get my driver (and have no intention of distributing it). I posted becuase I felt your statement that "copying is theft" is wrong and a counter-opinion was required.

I'll reply to the rest of your post in the piracy thread.

when i type this command

/home/user/MyDocs/wl1251-maemo/binary/kernel-power # cd /boot
/boot # mv zImage-2.6.28-maemo46-wl1 multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-wl1

mv:can not rename zimage-2.6.28-maemo46-wl1 no such file or directory

any solution plz

hey,

i wanted to download the bleeding edge drivers from your blog but i cant donate to you.i dont have a paypal account nd i live in lebanon so i cant create one cz its restricted in my country. is there a way u can help me with that? perhaps give me another method to donate?

thx in advance.

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251