Active Topics

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Is there any meaning in this sentence?
Read post #362, which cites all answers in the pool asking for no-exFAT licensing as default. Total of 302 votes. 302 is > 89 votes (for ext2/3/4 support).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-31 at 18:47.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
That's nonsense.
302 votes for answers in the pool asking for no-exFAT licensing as default. It is there for you and anybody read :
Support SDHC (up to 32GB, no exFAT licensing)
I do not like exfat on any kind of storage... First argument against is license payment to Microsoft.
Don't include exFAT by default
Just forego the darn logo (about SD/SDXC)
etc
The question wasn't about exFAT in the first place, so supporting open filesystems (ext3/4 as you're mentioning) has no consequence for exFAT whatsoever.
It has consequence if you vote in an option explicitely asking no-exFAT licensing by default. You and more than 140 other users.

Jolla can't read our minds, they can only read the pool votes.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
It has consequence if you vote in an option explicitely asking no-exFAT licensing by default. You and more than 140 other users.
This is tiring - let's try a kindergarten style step to step explanation

The question was about support for open filesystems only.
  1. Is exFAT an open file system? Here, you can answer yourself, but to my knowledge, it is not.
  2. Is the question relevant to non-open filesystems? No, it is not, as it was targeted at open filesystems only (read the question again, will you).
  3. Is the question therefore relevant to exFAT? Depends on how you answered to question #1.

If I were to follow your flawed logic further, then if the 'ext3/4 by default' answer would have won, then Jolla should remove support for all filesystems that were not mentioned as default in that particular answer. Therefore next SailfishOS should not have support for btrfs (btrfs != ext3/4), for FAT16/32 (FAT16/32 != ext3/4), not even talking about ext2 (the backward compatibility in ext3 and ext4 should be artifically broken).

EDIT:
Again, this is purely academic discussion, because those 300 votes you are mentioning is still irrelevant.
More than 302 votes for no-exFAT as default, just 58 votes for exFAT default support in Jolla Tablet. Consider that Jolla sold about 7,200 tablets in Indiegogo campaign (until December), so 4,2% of active users is a lot greater than 0,8%.
It would be nice to know how many people have bought it after the announcement, but still, to continue with your math, 95,8% is bit more than 4,2%. To be correct,
Code:
((number of people who bought the tablet after the stretch goal was reached)/7200) >> 0.042
And while you mentioning all the "crowdfunding products can change" facts - I 100% agree - there are no legal consequences for Jolla whatsoever. It is just too damn embarrassing to have two stretch goals and cancel the first one after the campaign.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-01-31 at 19:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
This is tiring - let's try a kindergarten style step to step explanation
This word in bold is very offensive. So you have lowered the level of debate. It is a shame. I was expecting a lot more here.

Congratulations, I won't read and comment any post from you from now and you've entered into my TMO ignore list.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
benny1967, nodevel,

I am sorry to have to break it to you but there is no point arguing. You have zero chance of winning, so you may as well give up.

There are people with enough moral fibre who, when confronted with facts that contradict their believes, will say, "Oh, sorry, I didn't know that, thanks."

There is another type who, in the same situation, will just quietly withdraw from the argument, pretending it never happened. They think it prevents them losing face.

And then you have types like rcolistete. No matter how many facts you throw in their face, they will insist on their version of reality, ignoring some facts, augmenting others and twisting the rest to suit them. It's not like they do it on purpose. They actually, really, truly believe they are right. It is very sad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
This word in bold is very offensive. So you have lowered the level of debate. It is a shame. I was expecting a lot more here.

Congratulations, I won't read and comment any post from you from now and you've entered into my TMO ignore list.
You probably will not be able to read this then (unless someone quotes it), but still...

I am sorry I offended you - that was never the intention and I sincerely apologize.
I don't find the word offensive myself - the reason why I included it, together with the emoticon was to lighten the discussion, because I felt that things are getting unnecessarily heated - but I respect that you do and will therefore think before using it in the future. I never intended to use it to offend you or to undermine your position.

My intention in the discussion was never to "win", but to offer my view on Jolla's decision and the consequences it might have for them. The discussion with you was interesting for the initial stands - I hate exFAT to the guts, but I felt that Jolla did not follow their promise and it was more important for me, while you did support exFAT, but felt that community should have the final word. The discussion was certainly interesting and I thank you for that.

Only time will show what are the consequences.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That IS Kindergarten.

--

ItThe whole discussion is absolutely fruitless.
As well as the TJC whatever-you-name it. I even did not vote for any answer/commentt/wiki/anything at all. As I did not see where to vote really for Jolla to follow SDxC standard (whatever that means!).

I will not follow this anymore. (as I did weeks ago with that tjc "discussion").

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-02-01 at 08:03. Reason: distinguishing

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
As attachment to my former post:

Especially with that apologize (quoted for rcolistete to read):
You probably will not be able to read this then (unless someone quotes it), but still...

I am sorry I offended you - that was never the intention and I sincerely apologize.
I don't find the word offensive myself - the reason why I included it, together with the emoticon was to lighten the discussion, because I felt that things are getting unnecessarily heated - but I respect that you do and will therefore think before using it in the future. I never intended to use it to offend you or to undermine your position.

My intention in the discussion was never to "win", but to offer my view on Jolla's decision and the consequences it might have for them. The discussion with you was interesting for the initial stands - I hate exFAT to the guts, but I felt that Jolla did not follow their promise and it was more important for me, while you did support exFAT, but felt that community should have the final word. The discussion was certainly interesting and I thank you for that.

Only time will show what are the consequences.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Also, you mustn't forget that before this poll on TJC, there was a more serious poll on Indiegogo. People there voted with their wallets. (I'm sure you did, too, because you have such strong opinions about not being able to use SDXC-cards in you future tablet.)
I have to disagree with you there.

I am sure many people who wanted and ordered the tablet didn't give a flying fsck about exfat support. I orderd the thing and I absolutely don't need exfat on it.
Now, if it had been a perk-to-be-purchased, then you'd know exactly how many want it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I dont care about IT eaither. But i do care about the fake stretch goal jolla used to get money but have/had no plans to actually add it. The excat story is secondy to the poorly bahvior related to 3G stretch goal.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet