Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
AFAIK they are still updating iPhone 4S, which was launched in 2003...
2003?!
Dude... It was released back in October 2011...
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4s-4212.php

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
2003! And there was me stuck with my nokia 6600
Oops... mistyped... and forgot the year also. Now corrected.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
2003?!
Dude... It was released back in October 2011...
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4s-4212.php
Quite right.

Also, the "support" for older Apple products is rather questionable. Apple is quite famous for dropping support for older*) models at the drop of a hat. And even in cases when a new version of iOS is available for an older device, I have heard too many horror stories about people turning a perfectly working device into a snail crawling through treacle by foolishly accepting the update.

*) Read: older than the current newest model on the market.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Quite right.

Also, the "support" for older Apple products is rather questionable. Apple is quite famous for dropping support for older*) models at the drop of a hat. And even in cases when a new version of iOS is available for an older device, I have heard too many horror stories about people turning a perfectly working device into a snail crawling through treacle by foolishly accepting the update.

Considering how MS/Nokia dropped support for Harmattan, Symbian Belle on 808 before their promised time (2016), and then followed by some WP7 device (Elop 900?) which can not upgrade to WP8 after launched for just 4 months, and then some newer Elop 1020 etc stuck on WP8 not going to Win10... I think apple is doing a good job here now... Although what you stated is absolutely correct.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhmZRT9HoA

Doesn't look like unusable to me. Apple does mistakes at times and even their updates are not always perfect but they usually fix things quickly. Also, show me Android manufacturer that delivers latest Android versions to devices manufactured in 2011. Nokia never did it with Maemo or MeeGo, newest releases were always bound to new device and with Symbian they updated when they changed to rolling release, if my memory serves me right, Apple was the first one or at least one of the first phone manufacturers to deliver new software versions to older devices. Nokia followed the suit with Windows Phone to some degree, but that's another sad story...

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2016-04-08 at 10:16.

Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Doesn't look like unusable to me.
I wouldn't really enjoy having to wait multiple seconds for the keyboard to open. I get frustrated when this sometimes happens on my Jolla phone for whatever reason, not really because I'm in such a hurry but because a phone shouldn't struggle with one of the only two things it's supposed to do right. The keyboard and the messaging application should probably be held in memory at all times, like the calling application. Of course, with only 1GB RAM, this wouldn't leave a lot of options for other applications to run concurrently. Looking it up, the iPhone 4S apparently only had 512 MB RAM, so it does seem to work alright.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I wouldn't really enjoy having to wait multiple seconds for the keyboard to open. I get frustrated when this sometimes happens on my Jolla phone for whatever reason, not really because I'm in such a hurry but because a phone shouldn't struggle with one of the only two things it's supposed to do right.
True, however it's not uncommon when some app is launched for the first time. In that video there was noticeable delay when keyboard was opened for the first time after reboot and opening messages. After that it was noticeably faster and in general the device is quite usable. Jolla struggles with these things when OOM-killer kicks in after some heavy usage and it can be very frustrating at times. Reboot helps, usually I reboot after one or two weeks uptime.

The keyboard and the messaging application should probably be held in memory at all times, like the calling application. Of course, with only 1GB RAM, this wouldn't leave a lot of options for other applications to run concurrently. Looking it up, the iPhone 4S apparently only had 512 MB RAM, so it does seem to work alright.
iPhone 5S with 1GB RAM works very fast and is pleasant to use in that regard. Having decent performance with slower SoC and 512MB RAM is not bad at all, using up to date software. In that regard it looks like there's still much to optimize in Sailfish. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Sailfish works with better SoC and increased RAM.

vaporware turns into not a complete-scam-ware...thats a thing i swear haha

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Finnish Broadcasting Company (Yle) had 20min interview with Steve Chao.

Taxfree price of the phone will be ~600$

Google translated article and video

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone