Active Topics

trying to power on whilst charging causes what looks like a failed boot attempt for me. dots appear as usual then it goes black (like its rebooting, including vibrate), nokia, dots and desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Ukraine
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
trying to power on whilst charging causes what looks like a failed boot attempt for me. dots appear as usual then it goes black (like its rebooting, including vibrate), nokia, dots and desktop.
no dots - logo & after that - black screen(screen ligts on)

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I second that. The only really useful thing is swappolube, which allows you to tweak swappiness, page-cluster and nr_requests. All other "miracle" patches do more harm than good, if they do any good.

I am not saying the reason for having this reboot/shutdown issue is some of those, but the probability is high.

However, to try to provide some info on WTF is going on, you may want to install syslogd and sp-rich-core(google for howto) as your "reboot instead of shutdown" might be caused by a kernel oops and those tools will help identifying that. In the meanwhile you may want to upload your /dev/mtd2 partition.

BTW if you overclock, I'd advise you to disable OC for a while, to see if that would cure the problem. And by "disable" i mean to uninstall all OC apps, widgets, whatever and to remove /etc/default/kernel-power
what do You think about SpeedPatch? In the weekend I want to reinstall OS & now is deciding what install. I will not install OptimizeN900 & think about SpeedPatch/BatteryPatch.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by badazimer View Post
what do You think about SpeedPatch?
Here's what I think.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3325

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
lets see what the more knowledgeable have to say:

CSSU-thumb
k-p 52 & k-p-settings
Swappolube
Flopswap or some such (2 swaps on mmc to deal with fragmentation)
720p libs

I would say that's it. Optimally, expect to reboot every 3 or so days. In my books, flopswap type approaches reap ample dividends if you browse a lot, open many windows etc

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
lets see what the more knowledgeable have to say:

CSSU-thumb
k-p 52 & k-p-settings
Swappolube
Flopswap or some such (2 swaps on mmc to deal with fragmentation)
720p libs

I would say that's it. Optimally, expect to reboot every 3 or so days. In my books, flopswap type approaches reap ample dividends if you browse a lot, open many windows etc
use:
  • CSSU-thumb
  • k-p 52 & k-p-settings
  • Swappolube
  • 720p libs

flopswap really helping? have any problem like speedpatch or optimizen900?

Last edited by badazimer; 2013-05-22 at 08:34.

Originally Posted by badazimer View Post
use:
  • CSSU-thumb
  • k-p 52 & k-p-settings
  • Swappolube
  • 720p libs

flopswap really helping? have any problem like speedpatch or optimizen900?
Yes, it really does. It uses well-established 'nix swapon and swapoff that are meant to be used to turn swap on or off. I have not read any negative opinions about these approaches. No esoteric tunings of delicate variables here.

The evidence of improvemet for me was clear.

Here is the best guide:

Last edited by handaxe; 2013-05-22 at 14:04.

• speed- & batterypatch are more trouble then they are worth, being very unreliable software that is not developed any more
  • swap* scripts seem to be okay
    personally i use swapon & swapoff (from command line history) to switch swap partion
  • to "stop" the shutdown / reboot cycle, remove the battery & leave it out for 30 seconds
    you will have to re-enter date & time (if you haven't enable Net Time Protocols & have a net connection when booting up) but the rest is kept / stored.
  • all the packages you are listing all come with the warning that some devices may not function properly with it
    re-flash the device & try every package one at the time to see which may be causing problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Anyone running custom swappolube settings with swap on SD? Any optimizations here from swappolube recommendations.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Anyone running custom swappolube settings with swap on SD? Any optimizations here from swappolube recommendations.
Most use the stock "recommended" I believe.

Searching my memory - (and believe me that's hardware a load more legacy than the n900!!!) - I think Estel and Freemandgordon posted some settings, part of which Swappolube could change. It was in the "easy debian" thread.

And just like the n900,my memory came up trumps: here it is

One can use a script to set these CLI or "Desktop Command Execution Widget" or "Cmd-shortcuts"

Tags
kernel-power, kernel-power52, power key, rebooting, shutdown