Active Topics

Did you try adjusting the volume with the YouTube player or pause it while the video played? That was really laggy for me.

I find that I have to compare my items to similar items.

If I bought my N810 expecting it to completely replace my intel i7 2.66ghz desktop with 8GB memory.... then yes.. I imagine I would be extremely angry with how inefficient the n810 is.

However... When I've compared it side by side to an iPhone, Ipod Touch, and similar items that do similar things ... I see that the web browsing and other capabilities are at least on par; and with the added ability of expanding to thousands of free software, and even run full suite's like openoffice... the n810 comes ahead compared to the other handheld devices that I've seen.

The hardware in it just isn't beefy enough to be as efficient as a full computer.. but it CAN do most things a full computer can do; albeit with a little more patience.. and it fits in my pocket. I guess it all depends on what you bought it for.

I don't have a really bad browsing experience with my tablet... but I don't use the default browser all that often either.. I am usually running Deblet, Easy Debian, now Mer.. or even tried the Tears browser running around here.. and the only problems I've ever had browsing came in flash-heavy websites and only until I fixed my flash in whatever browser I was using at the time.

If it's not up to your standards I guess it's not there.. not much can be done about it.. It's a 400mhz ARMEL processor with 128mb ram. It would be comparable to a machine that's 10+ years old trying to keep up with all the new stuff. I think it does it pretty well.. considering.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by MenoRikey View Post
Did you try adjusting the volume with the YouTube player or pause it while the video played? That was really laggy for me.
That did have some effect.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
No problem at all doing that.

CNN loaded pretty fast (about 15 seconds).

Are you sure your system is updated?

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
No problem at all doing that.

CNN loaded pretty fast (about 15 seconds).

Are you sure your system is updated?
how do I find out if I have the latest version? I following a forum post here to flash the device, which I did a couple days ago, but I'm not sure if that's all I have to do.

If you find the device too slow I would sell it and wait for a better option to come out.

The next nokia tablet should be very quick and I think it comes out in 2009.

Then there is open pandora which will also be pretty powerful. These are like $400.

Also there are the intel mids which are available right now but are more expensive and have less battery life but pack much more powerful atom processors. These are around $500-1000 and come in many different sizes and form factors.

I think the n810 is awesome because it is basically a miniaturized computer that fits into my pocket. It is also my gps device, mp3 player, movie player. The only thing that I don't like is the lack of power but it does well for 400mhz and 128mb of ram. My next portable device will be either the next nokia tablet or the gigabyte m528 mid. Still debating on that one lol.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I find that I have to compare my items to similar items.

If I bought my N810 expecting it to completely replace my intel i7 2.66ghz desktop with 8GB memory.... then yes.. I imagine I would be extremely angry with how inefficient the n810 is.
I didn't expect it to replace my desktop, but I did expect it to handle full versions of websites, which it doesn't seem to do to well

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
However... When I've compared it side by side to an iPhone, Ipod Touch, and similar items that do similar things ... I see that the web browsing and other capabilities are at least on par; and with the added ability of expanding to thousands of free software, and even run full suite's like openoffice... the n810 comes ahead compared to the other handheld devices that I've seen.
I guess this is where my expectations were off, as I bought a product called an Internet Tablet to, you know, use the INTERNET. I didn't buy a Nokia Internet Tablet Plus Some Other Things. I don't care about using open office (why would you use open office it?) or an ebook reader or whatever. I want to use the Internet on it.

I mean, the iPhone excels in user experience, media and voice calling, so I wouldn't expect browsing the web would be the best thing on it. To say the N810 is "on par" with the iPhone means it's average at best. I guess I expected something called an Internet Tablet to excel at the Internet and do "other things" average.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
It seem that you did have too high expectations on this device (speed wise). On the other hand it does give you full internet experience, including flash, that most other devices in its class are missing. Therefore the name "Internet Tablet" is fully justified, in my opinion.

I also would like the tablet to be more speedy... but considering its hardware it is doing very good job. I'm currently off from my main PC and use several years old P4 2GHz machine at my mother-in-law... and found that the web browser speed of this 2GHz P4 (WinXP with 1GB or RAM) is quite similar to the Nokia N810.

If you need it faster you need to look for another device with faster CPU.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
how do I find out if I have the latest version? I following a forum post here to flash the device, which I did a couple days ago, but I'm not sure if that's all I have to do.
Run the Control Panel and in the General Group, "About product". I should say Version: 5.2008.43-7
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

That's sort of a vague statement though.. since the "internet" is everything from VOIP, Websites, IM's, Chatting, etc...

Assuming for a minute that the 3 i mentioned were identical in performance for a browser (the ipod touch, the iphone, the n810).. then the determining factor for purchase would be the added components..

The iphone, obviously, the phone capability. Ipod Touch for games. The N810 for a little of everything.. from Games, to Phone Capability (Using VOIP), to Browser. Then the software that each can hold.. the apple stores are typically pay-per-software, with free "lite" versions.. while the n810 is almost completely free.

I consider the N810 more of a "Jack of all Trades, master of none" device. I know it's called an "Internet Tablet".. and I see your reasoning behind it should be a "perfect" "internet" device... but while it isn't a perfect internet device to me.. it's quite a bit more when I consider everything it's capable of.

Like I said.. it may just not be good enough for you, for the purposes you intended for it - which is fine.. since I admit it has flaws.. especially in browsing.. I have seen glitches here and there and if you go from youtube video to youtube video it really bogs it down pretty bad... so probably whats best is to wait for the next generation device that *should* have a much better processor, and more memory in it.. like some other people have pointed out here.

The biggest problem with the "Internet Tablet" right now.. is the hardware. With better hardware this device would fly through Flash, Java, and anything else with ease.

I hate to say that the device is useless to you... but there's only so much power this little thing can do in flash videos. They play, and most of the time they play decent, which is probably the best I think we'll get, for now anyway.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: