Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
This is a good idea, but requires good judgement from the moderators. I'm not even aware if we have those, as I wasn't really interested, but do they actually have the power to ban someone or can they just move threads to appropriate categories and nothing else?
Super Moderators can ban. And there is always the admin, Reggie... although he seems to be very busy elsewhere...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Here's another: a phone that can't have different ring tone per caller is not a good phone. No way to spin around that.

Even more: not being able to dial some numbers is a really really really bad bug for a phone. This is a bug that can and should be fixed in a day. Saying that the fix is delayed for months because Nokia want to run the fix through their great and long QA process sounds vacuous.
Oh I agree, the N900 is a poor phone. If I was looking for a phone I would not get the N900. But it is a good internet tablet (except for the smaller screen and lack of SD slot), especially once easy debian gets to full steam.

There is another unpopular option. Create a seperate private forum that requires invites to get in. That way you at least have one forum where you don't have to deal with trolling. And for those who would just disguise themselves as non-trolling posters and then switch to trolling once they are invited they just get kicked out of that forum after a vote.

By seperate forum I don't mean another site but a board or forum on this site inside talk.maemo.org. People would get invited to join from the regular talk.maemo.org. We could even make it so everyone has read access but only those invited have write access.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Super Moderators can ban. And there is always the admin, Reggie... although he seems to be very busy elsewhere...
Then I advise the Super Moderators, whoever they are, to start banning. You will see initial backlash, martyrs blogging about how they got banned for nothing, but it just might work to have a peaceful conversation at tmo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Ah well, I've always thought along the lines of ....you can't really get angry at an *** for braying...it is the ***'s nature. And, I've said it before, I'll say it again; occasionally, there is some small nugget of truth buried deep in all the bull*^%$ that gets spewed. I don't really expect a majority of users to be able to criticize constructively, but usually, somewhere in their criticism, there actually is something that could use some work. It just a lot of dirty work sifting through all of that chaff, I hope Nokia has somebody good on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Off-topic for this thread, but since I'm propably the most active poster in that thread I'll respond.

I disagree that Nokia vs. Apple lawsuit doesn't have anything to do with this forum. For example, both Maemo and N900 are mentioned is Apple's countersue paper. Apple also claims that N900 infringes at least one of it's patents. Thus the lawsuit could have very direct effect on this community. It can also effect Nokia's business seriously. As such I think it relates to this community, based on OS mainly developed and funded by Nokia and running (mainly, excluding various hacks) on Nokia hardware.
Apple counter suit will have no effect on the N900. Worst case scenario - Nokia has to pay Apple a few cents per N900 as a patent license fee, Like they probably pay a hundred other companies.

About the second argument, the success of the N97 will also have a great effect on Nokia's business, that does not make this forum the correct place for discussing when the next N97 firmware is released and what it will include.

This forum is for discussing of Maemo, not for adoring Nokia.

If "what is your wow moment" thread has a place on this forum, then so does "what is your 'wow, I can't believe people pay 600 Euro for this crap' moment".

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
And a thread about Nokia vs. Apple in a forum about Nokia devices is quite reasonably placed. Don't read it if you don't like it.
Criticism of Nokia devices (constructuve or otherwise) in a forum about Maemo is very reasonably placed. Don't read it if you don't like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Criticism of Nokia devices (constructuve or otherwise) in a forum about Maemo is very reasonably placed. Don't read it if you don't like it.
Nonconstructive criticism has no place anywhere. It's called whining. Nobody, in any community, likes dealing with babies.

I'm sure a good portion of us have some of our own of those to deal with, we don't care to have to come here and handle it too.

If you don't like a device, fine. Say you don't like, and move on, or better yet: don't come here. There is absolutely no purpose to stick around forums specifically for said device just to try and force opinions onto everyone else that their device sucks. Period.

None of what I've said is Nokia or Maemo specific... this behavior is not acceptable in any community. It's unhelpful, pointless, and flat out annoying.

If, however, you like the device - or see hope for it's future. That's different, but posts criticizing something should also explain this fact, and input the good that you see, or hope to see. This is a community about and for maemo.. if you don't like maemo then you are not reasonably placed.. let alone the thread. (that's a generic "you", not a target to Matan).
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Ahh, a selective answer that's missing the point anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Wrong.

Only the constructive criticism has any place or value here. The rest is noise.

Don't post it if it's pointless.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Apple counter suit will have no effect on the N900. Worst case scenario - Nokia has to pay Apple a few cents per N900 as a patent license fee, Like they probably pay a hundred other companies.
Why are you so sure?

What if Apple retaliates Nokia's ITC case by seeking injuction on sales of Nokia products? We allready saw similar thing happen in Nokia vs. Qualcomm. Doesn't matter if they get it or not. Even the possibility might stop carriers and consumers from investing on Maemo products.

What if Nokia drops or delays release of some features from Maemo due to the courtcase? Or decides to delay release of some Maemo hardware until there's a ruling on affected patents?

Apple vs. Nokia is related to all Nokia products, including Maemo, and discussing it and it's possible effects is on-topic in this forum.

About the second argument, the success of the N97 will also have a great effect on Nokia's business, that does not make this forum the correct place for discussing when the next N97 firmware is released and what it will include.
Yes, but courtcase that might effect Nokia ability or willingness to develop and sell Maemo products is within the scope of this forum.

EDIT: That's the last post about the matter I make in this thread. We can discuss it further in "Apple vs Nokia" thread. This one is about the community and communication within it. Sorry for adding noise with couple of off-topic posts.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-01-06 at 18:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
cars and radios, community, constructive criticism, critcism, criticizing criticism, critiquing critiques, maemo.org, maturity, on fanning trolls, on trolling fans, talk, talk.maemo.org