Closed Thread
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Would be great to know what you mean
No feeding please, framework wars are unnecessary...

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No feeding please, framework wars are unnecessary...

Framework wars? Come on... I would like to inform my self in what he means, not start a flame...

Where are you in the endless posts about "how much I hate the n900?" / "iPhone sucks" and so on?

Chill out dude...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Framework wars? Come on... I would like to inform my self in what he means, not start a flame...
He likes GTK and doesn't like Qt for some reason. Every framework has it's kinks, but calling Qt "immature, buggy and constantly changing" is just flamebait. I could say the same about GTK+, then we start off about performance and GPL and we get where the millions of threads on various forums and lists got - nowhere.

Where are you in the endless posts about "how much I hate the n900?" / "iPhone sucks" and so on?
I filter threads by titles - I'm not likely to click a thread with such a title

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
King of all updates for N900 would hold the folowing:

- Portrait mode accross the UI. (I know it prbably wont happen before Maemo6)

- Flash 10.1 (Sould be 2010 Q1 so might even happen)

- Ovi maps free navigation (as mentioned earlier, Nokia has said every phone with GPS will have this from marh onwards, so in principle it should include N900 hence it will be sold also after march.)

- Some useful Java runtime (probably wont happen ever at least by official Nokia implementation, but it would be very welcome. I have heard of some NWR Nokia Web Runtime or someting like that coming to Maemo5 & 6 but not quite sure of what is it capable of)

- SyncML or some other built-in solution for perfect syncing with Google mail, contacts & calendar. (also won't probably happen by Nokia, but thereare some promising community projects going on that probably will solve this in some point)

- many others ofcourse but this was from the top of my head...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I wish I finally saw a major update for a nokia device, like kinetic scrolling for 5800 was.
I had 4 updates the N82 and the only thing I could say if I were to update from 11 to 40 (4 updates at once) would be "nice".

PR 1.1 was also "nice" but nothing spectacular. I'm started to be disappointed by the lack of commercial apps... not even angry birds can be bought...

So much fiddling around things that end-users can't even see and nothing concrete - typical nokia!
I'd probably appreciate much more the ability to change tracks via the headset and install more apps at once than the huge list of "didn't know I missed that" PR1.2 is gonna be.

A device/OS can not survive today without (as stupid as it may be) a fan base. Average users need concrete, visible changes that would be in most cases easier to achieve that fixing various anonymous bugs that 5 or 6 users complained about.
The difference though is that finally, with Maemo, Nokia doesn't have to be the one to do all the "visible" stuff--as long as they take (good) care of the invisible stuff that nobody cares about (unless it affects them, in which case it may be a huge problem) that is the core of the platform, the other stuff will eventually take care of itself through community efforts and 3rd-party apps. It has enormous potential because Nokia can just use the same resources to focus on perfecting the core platform. If they instead take the attitude that maemo.org gives them an excuse to put less resources into it, it will be a problem, but i don't know if that's the case. This is the potential strength of Maemo over every other phone OS out there, but it's still early in the process and Nokia is not doing a perfect job of taking care of the invisible stuff, nor enabling 3rd-party apps by making Ovi something anyone can be proud of.

This is apparent in my own experience: my only real complaints for the N900 are based on things that have to be handled by Nokia because they are core apps and functionality that can't be fixed or worked-around by the community: complete, functioning offline mapping software (which is annoying because the N900 advertising was exaggerated on this point, and free&open map data isn't up to the task in a lot of areas--although it seems like there might be a possibility of a community workaround using the Ovi API), flawless phone, UI, and network performance, and meticulous power-saving measures.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-02 at 19:04.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
I think we just have to wait and see. I completed a Nokia N900 survey last night and a number of the questions related to things discussed on here, for example; have I ever accidently touched the screen and rejected a call.

They are obviously working on ironing out these problems but with so many suggestions being given, are making sure they come up with the right solutions. I appreciate this takes time, it takes me hours of reading on this forum, and would rather wait a little longer for something that has been well thought out than some quick fix.

My previous phone was a 5800, I had read that it would never get kinetic scrolling because Nokia were concentrating there efforts on the N97, but nearly a year later there was an update with kinetic scrolling.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
PR 1.1 was also "nice" but nothing spectacular.
PR1.1 was basically a reliability update. As I understand (I am not Nokia employee) it was hastened because there were a serious problems with reliability of whole system (CPU voltage control etc).

Applications change in PR1.1 - just side effect.

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
flash 10 would be nice. assuming it brings promsed performance goodness.
some better management of the resources to ensure the phone 'app' doesn't struggle when loading.

and i keep meaning to see if the bug has been reported...when i unlock the screen the task switcher icon isn't detected for my first tap (assuming i go for that first) and instead registers as launching menu for open app. that one is starting to bug me.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Originally Posted by ezcola View Post
King of all updates for N900 would hold the folowing:

- Portrait mode accross the UI. (I know it prbably wont happen before Maemo6)

- Flash 10.1 (Sould be 2010 Q1 so might even happen)

- Ovi maps free navigation (as mentioned earlier, Nokia has said every phone with GPS will have this from marh onwards, so in principle it should include N900 hence it will be sold also after march.)

- Some useful Java runtime (probably wont happen ever at least by official Nokia implementation, but it would be very welcome. I have heard of some NWR Nokia Web Runtime or someting like that coming to Maemo5 & 6 but not quite sure of what is it capable of)

- SyncML or some other built-in solution for perfect syncing with Google mail, contacts & calendar. (also won't probably happen by Nokia, but thereare some promising community projects going on that probably will solve this in some point)

- many others ofcourse but this was from the top of my head...

that would be really nice.

i doubt we'll get half of those.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
He likes GTK and doesn't like Qt for some reason. Every framework has it's kinks, but calling Qt "immature, buggy and constantly changing" is just flamebait. I could say the same about GTK+, then we start off about performance and GPL and we get where the millions of threads on various forums and lists got - nowhere.
It's not "flamebait" it's the truth. What did I see when QT 4.0/KDE 4.0 came out? Everything crashed every 5 minutes. Not until KDE/QT 4.2 did everything become some-what stable. This was only a year ago. Do I really want to trust my phone to a year old toolkit? Ask yourself that.

I've seen all the Qt apps from the Ovi store crash or become unstable on me multiple times. The Solitaire game is the worst offender.

I don't start flame wars. I start discussions. I hate flame wars.

This will be my last post on the subject. If anyone wishes to discuss it further they can PM me or start a new thread.

Last edited by mooninite; 2010-02-03 at 01:51.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever