Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia and Intel, in just a few months of the MeeGo announcement has a developer's preview available... and on time? Even I have to admit that's quite impressive.

The simulated phone call - the cellular stack isn't in place yet - and within a few hours/days, a method to allow for a dual-boot; I find very little fault with what Nokia's done and applaud them.

And this is coming from a rather skeptical person about anything Nokia does. With that said, they seem to be going in a very good direction, across two ISA's (ARM & x86) and ramping up to 1.1 final in a decent amount of time.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-06-30 at 20:28. Reason: Added Intel...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
WWHHHHAAATTT ?

Nokia needs to get their butt in gear. What other stacks aren't available ? GPS ? Bluetooth ? USB ? Camera ?
Yes, they're all unavailable. In addition to GPU, DSP and BME drivers. It's just a developer release.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nokia, in just a few months of the MeeGo announcement has a developer's preview available... and on time? Even I have to admit that's quite impressive.

The simulated phone call - the cellular stack isn't in place yet - and within a few hours/days, a method to allow for a dual-boot; I find very little fault with what Nokia's done and applaud them.

And this is coming from a rather skeptical person about anything Nokia does. With that said, they seem to be going in a very good direction, across two ISA's (ARM & x86) and ramping up to 1.1 final in a decent amount of time.
I think it should be noted... yet again... that this isn't just Nokia.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by val580 View Post
MeeGo Basics | MeeGo - http://bit.ly/dn2WdJ

looks great !
worth waiting
I read it all.

It seems that they copy-pasted the Maemo concept, replaced "Maemo" with "MeeGo" in the text and created some new drawings.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I read it all.

It seems that they copy-pasted the Maemo concept, replaced "Maemo" with "MeeGo" in the text and created some new drawings.
"Talent imitates; genius steals." - TS Eliot

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
Are the packages in rpm or deb ?
Seemingly it's an rpm based OS.

See for instance:

http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/builds/1.../repos/source/

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ...boy View Post
… or perhaps not ?– does anybody know if Harmattan UI will be implemented in Nokia version of MeeGo ???
What you saw today is the stock meego UX layer for phones.

nokia is working on harmattan as its next release, which isn't really meego... technically.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
Originally Posted by PhoenixBh View Post
It was said in earlier announcements that the N900 is no longer being support while devs are using it for testing MeeGo, so while the bits are there i guess its up to us to make it work fully..

Kinda a suck, that nokia is just ditching the N900...
Well i dont agree with you we know Nokia wont give us a official supported Update with Meego for the N900. What i did understand that Meego isnt Nokia and if you look at there Handset Forum Threads they always Talk about the N900. The Commandline Release of the Meego Core was also a special Version for the N900 beside the big Laptop Release.

The new thing for me is the new Hardware Spec Aava Mobile in this game. I mean this Device isnt to buy for a normal Customer like me .. or us..

Last edited by crown77; 2010-06-30 at 21:13.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Ahhh gerbick, at last, you make a positive non cynical comment about Nokia. Its truly a breath of fresh air. Congratulations.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
Well i dont agree with you we know Nokia wont give us a official supported Update with Meego for the N900. What i did understand that Meego isnt Nokia and if you look at there Handset Forum Threads they always Talk about the N900. The Commandline Release of the Meego Core was also a special Version for the N900 beside the big Laptop Release.

The new thing for me is the new Hardware Spec Aava Mobile in this game. I mean this Device isnt to buy for a normal Customer like me .. or us..
No no, don't get me wrong, i agree with what you say but when you have such a powerful device and capable in so many ways, it would be nice of Nokia to give us something that will last...

Like the iPhone in itself is a really awful phone, IMO what made it so famous was its ease of use and well... its apps... and thats something that Nokia will be taking away from the N900 by ditching Maemo.

Most efforts will be focused in MeeGo on a dev side, so Maemo will be left out.. while if we had official Support for MeeGo on N900 (even if we don't get multi touch, ect..) at least we could take use of the focus the MeeGo will have when its out and about...

Im not saying MeeGo is bad or anything of the sort...

Luckily we got very awesome community that i believe will make MeeGo full feature (hardware limitations aside) on the N900 but we will be always playing catch up...

maybe you guys don't agree with me but nothing i've said is untrue, and for a device whether it was intended for end-user or not it still costed us 500 bucks, so its kind of like Nokia is shooting us in the foot..

I mean N900 was a big reason why i came to back to Nokia and i knew exactly what i was getting myself into, i just never expected Nokia to ditch it like that..

Well talk about long speeches.. anyway i'm not trying to be the bad guy here just feels not right... i think most of you would agree with me in some degree or so...

no?