Active Topics

Poll: What will be your next smartphone OS?
Poll Options
What will be your next smartphone OS?

I was really looking forward to MeeGo and the n9, but it looks like the dream of last year won't materialize as I hoped. After using the n900, there is no way I could go to a closed platform. The only thing that the n900 doesn't deliver is modern speeds, fluid gui interactions, and a larger pool of available software. I felt like all of those concerns could be alleviated by the introduction of MeeGo on a burly new phone.

Really, I wish Canonical would pump out a Ubuntu-Mobile dist with drivers to handle the cell phone antennae. I don't think it's too much to ask for an open mobile OS that can deploy across many hardware platforms. The tight coupling between hardware and software we see in the mobile market is a disgusting repeat of the 80's/90's. It's really sad that the cutting edge of computer technology has allowed the huge corporate interests to regress into a dated paradigm of software/hardware production.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dusktreader For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I voted MeeGo, but to be more accurate my vote is actually for "anything linux based more open and better than the combo N900+Maemo"

I'd like to see Ubuntu Light adapted to mobile devices, getting the still debianized part of "maemo 6".

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
When the N900 gasps it's last breath I will look around and see. At the pace tech is moving now its hard to ever say what I will be able to buy in a few years. Nokia makes good hard ware ... so a guess would be either a Nokia or HTC based device due to build quality. T-Mobile cause thats my prefered provider and unlocked device when I buy it. OS ... WM7 more likely than not. Not an Android fan, and my wifes HD2 W7 isn't that bad at all to use.