Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by videeNokia View Post
...I also tried changing it to supl.google.com. I don't see any added benefit.
with the default, supl.nokia.com, it quit locking and surrender with the error message "cannot lock to gps."

Switch to supl.google.com:7276, it locks, 1 sec to several minutes. Add eCoach, it locks most of the time under 1 minute.

I do not know why, but that is the way I am using it. With the current status, It barely functions as a gps, but it functions just right as a tracker, tracks good in where one is going. I know this is NOT gps, but that is what my N900 does, today.

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Arrancamos View Post
How to download the maps and upload them to N900?? where to start ploxxxx
step by step, here,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38872

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
i wish the longest would be 5 minutes, I can leave it for half an hour and it still wont lock, i've tried while leaving GPSJinni and gpx on but still no luck.

I guess the only way is too get a lock while on a internet connection in the morning and then the phone should stay locked all day.

ok ... ovi maps was useless i barely used it ... but: i think before pr1.1 n900 was finding the location on the map using the gsm network (using a-gps .. i think, as i'm not an expert!) quite fast ... with no internet connection ...

now, it seems a-gps is not working
i have the phone next to me for 30min now ... no gps signal, no internet connection (is disabled in gps settings) ... and no location on the map!!

strange!

anyone can confirm that!

I noticed the same, i was offline and I brought up Ovi and my map of germany had gone, maybe they've changed the folder location for maps?

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
nothing wrong with mine in uk. look without assist in bout 5mins with assist about 15secs

Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
nothing wrong with mine in uk. look without assist in bout 5mins with assist about 15secs
my maps are there ...
ok ....nokia n82 positioning settings one has:
1) agps (that needs internet connection, uses trafic! ... dangerous in roaming conditions)
2) integrated gps (sure!)
3) network based (using the gsm network!)
4) bluetooth (for fun!)

n900 has just
internal GPS
and network positioning ... but it looks like this needs to connect to supl.nokia.com ... so it is aGPS .. i guess (i have this disabled)

i think before ... it was fast to find a position without internet connection ... using the gsm network
now ... i think it fails to do that!
is the gsm positioning failing??

anyone can confirm

on the other thing ... what's with these new extra large fonts on the select internet connection window

Is there any way maybe using Xterm to modify how the GPS finds your location?

5 minutes to lock signal? That's extreme.

My N900 has the exact same problem, but my N95 locks the signal in about 15-20 seconds, so that's not "standard" for phones at all, and my N91 doesn't have any internet at all, it doesn't even have a SIM card.

I suspect there's something worse going on, this cannot be normal, but then again, I had the luck of getting one that has the constant restarts issues.

Can anyone else confirm that this is normal for the N900?

Last edited by Khiron; 2010-01-17 at 04:10.

Khiron,
Not related to N900, GPS fix can take a lot of time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix
A working SIM card makes the fix in many cases faster

Hartti

Tags
lack of quality control