Notices

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
i can't make 360, it stops recording before that :/
oh, well, i guess i shouldnt write about something i didnt try myself xD
too bad.

/edit:
i just tried the largest panorama possible. looks like full 180° is doable. then it stops the recording by itself.

Last edited by msa; 2010-10-04 at 19:52.

Morpho’s Quickpanorama vs. Nokia’s slowpanorama.

Settings

Quickpanorama Pro, WXGA (1280x800)
In my tests, I used the highest settings available for both programs.
With Quickpanorama, you can change the resolution of the image captured, and that’s the only setting which is costumizable. The highest resolution available is 1280x800.
Lowering the resolution doesn’t do very much, the image quality stays the same.

Nokia Panorama, Image resolution: high, autofocus: off
The settings for Nokia Panorama are a bit more customizable; you can change the image resolution, autofocus function, and whether you like your pictures cropped or uncropped.
I played around with the settings a bit, but nothing magical happens.
A lower resolution only changes the resolution of the picture – what a shocker. It doesn’t seem to speed up the post processing anyway, too bad.
The autofocus is pretty useless in my opinion, since it doesn’t do very much on long distance shots. And aren’t those the shots we usually take when capturing panorama’s? But i guess it could be useful for indoor or macro panorama’s.

Starting up

This is the to-do-list when opening Quickpanorama: open lens cover, close camera application which automatically pops up, open Quickpanorama. What’s even worse, is when you start Quickpanorama and the lens cover isn’t opened, you have to close the program and start all over again. I don’t have to explain that this behaviour isn’t very convenient, and very noob-friendly.

The same to-do-list for Nokia Panorama: open Nokia Panorama, open lens cover. Now, isn’t that simple?

Capturing a panorama

Quickpanorama: You have to keep your camera steady, by “maintaining vertical alignment with the red line as you pan to the right”. The movement of the blue and red line isn’t very intuitive, and can be confusing if you’re not used to the program. “So, the blue line is below the red one. Erm… what does that mean? Tilt? Which way?”

Keeping the camera steady with Nokia Panorama is much easier. When you tilt your phone the wrong way, an arrow points you to the right direction, no matter whether you have to tilt up, down, left or right.

Another big plus for Nokia Panorama, is that you can capture your panorama from left to right and from right to left, while Quickpanorama is limited to left to right only.

Picture time!

Five picture sets with variable light conditions. The first picture is taken with Nokia Panorama, the second one with Quickpanorama.
Note: these are not the original files, but resized by imageshack.

Sunlight

Railway station

Evening - low light

Evening - dark

Dark room

100% Crops

As you can see, Nokia Panorama simply blows his opponent away, in all possible light conditions. But it isn’t perfect either. Notice the black area in some of the corners of the pictures. Keeping your camera steady and panning perfectly vertical helps, but that’s impossible when capturing the panorama with your hands. And I don’t think a N900 camera stand yet exists?
Also note that in extreme low light conditions, both applications act jerky. If there’s not enough light in the picture, they lose tracking. City skylines shouldn’t be a problem, since in those conditions there’s enough artificial light in the background. But capturing a panorama in a really dark room… forget it. But then again, who on earth shoots panorama pictures like that?

Speed

What goes around comes around. Nokia Panorama blows Quickpanorama away, partly because of… post processing. And that’s where Quickpanorama blows Nokia Panorama away.
Post processing with Quickpanorama takes approximately two seconds. With Nokia Panorama it depends, but it’s never less than three minutes when taking a panorama with an equal angle.
And in most cases it’s even more - fifteen minutes was my personal record.
No biggie you think – i have a N900 so i can just multitask? Forget it. The post processing requires so much of the CPU that your fantastic multitasking phone freezes when you want to do something else. It’s even so bad, that sometimes the program itself freezes. Ok, it doesn’t happen a lot and there’s always power button – end task, or CTRL-backspace – X, but…

Conclusion

And the winner is… Nokia Panorama. Ok, the post processing takes a enormous amount of time, but in return you get a much higher image quality. And when you take the time to make a picture of something beautiful, what is most important? Speed or image quality?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to woussie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Can someone put up a picture for me please. N900 gone for repairs so cannot try it out myself.
Here you go. I reduced the size to be able to upload. Otherwise it will be too large. Mine is 7Mb lol.

http://twitpic.com/2upcwo/full

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
I'm not sure if this is allowed or can be even done..still new with n900 and learning as I go.. but is it possible for someone who can download this nice looking program and some how post the installation file for it for those of us who can't get it...

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Mumbai
I'm from India & this app is not available in ovi store for me.
Pls help me on how to install it?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
as far as i know it's not on the store for anyone

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
as far as i know it's not on the store for anyone
See post #36 in this thread.
Create a file called panorama.install in /home/user/MyDocs
and paste the contents of the post into it. Save and open file manager.
Click the install file you created.
Simples

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
It was in Ovi store for me. You can also view on Ovi Store website:
http://store.ovi.com/content/51491

I have a question about this app. How do you display the image on the desktop?? Do you put the entire length of the pic or have 4 pieces for each desktop?? It doesn't work for me. the multiple pieces i got is not connected seamlessly and the long landscape picture just show up as one piece. How the heck you make this thing work. Do you have to edit using ur pc or what?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
This very app is coming soon to Symbian^3!!!

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n8-ge...orama-feature/

Click on the source and it says "Shot using the Nokia N8 and the soon to be available Nokia Research Centre developed Panorama app...."

Woa, if it is this clear at 5Mpix, it will be AMAZING at 12Mpix with largest sensor/best mobile camera!

Just look at the pano the N8 made!

Amazing!

P.S. I believe this is the result of the bit-side purchase and Panoman is back! I hope this software is integrated into future camera UIs or firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia panorama, panorama