Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I would like to volunteer to create a wiki document for installing & using Tear as well as the bookmark add-in(s). I assume it would be http://wiki.maemo.org/Tear with a link to it on http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Users.
Just DO IT!

The beauty of a wiki is that you can start a page, and then if you got something wrong, someone else will just edit it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I suppose it is up somewhere but I couldn't find it ...
Any way of getting the bookmarks from browserd into tear ?

Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
LOL, yep, perfect case for a wiki doc. I didn't research it, but I don't think you can import into tear. I think you can export from browserd as an HTML file and open that file in Tear -- like you said, it's "somewhere" in the threads.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
not sure about browserd, but as for microb, here ya go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
When using tear and going to att.com/pay to pay my phone bill there is a text entry field to put in my phone number, tear only lets me get the first number in for each cell/field so i cant pay my phone bill with tear.

If you are using the Lcars theme any text/search,etc entry fields on websites are blacked out so you can't see what you are typing default browser doesn't do that.

If you are on a page at symbian-freak.com and there is a little youtube video embedded in the article such as here

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...ce_package.htm

tear makes you wait until the whole video has been buffered before it will play. If you try to click on play it wont play. The default browser doesn't do that.
Anyway to shut down browserd when chosing tear because I see that thing running always when pulling up the list on task manager?

I hope this helps. I'm not a programmer so don't know how to use your bug report system.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
thanks buurmas and lm2

Thanks to all for the encouragement re: the wiki page. In case anyone is interested, I hope to finish it by this time next week.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I'm not a programmer so don't know how to use your bug report system.
You don't need to be a programmer to register bugs. Tear has an unusual web-location, however, for bug reports. It's here. Just look to see if your bug has been reported; if not, you can just enter it as a Guest.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Hey, we (Mer team) are testing Tear with the swfdec-mozilla package to provide some level of Flash support. The plugin seems to be running fine, where Flash content should be there appears a big PLAY button, but when it is pushed, the button disappears and... nothing appears. This is how it looks like in the terminal: http://imgur.com/GeZDI.jpg

Bundyo, any ideas what is going wrong here?

I'm asking this here, because it just might be a browser issue. The original Flash plugin from Adobe in Diablo is also quirky in Tear (you can't play anything until it fully buffers the whole video).

Edit: oh and yes, the plugin plays youtube videos just fine (Mer+Tear) in x86 VirtualBox.

Last edited by Tomaszd; 2009-07-12 at 13:01.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Seattle, WA, USA
Instructions for a more general solution that does not require hacking binary files are here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=566

____

I got tired of "Open URL" in Terminal (using the custom osso-xterm package that has the context menu re-enabled) firing up the MicroB browser, so I hacked things to make it use Tear instead.

I copied /usr/bin/osso-xterm.launch to my desktop Linux box and:
Code:
cp osso-xterm.launch osso-xterm.launch.stock
perl -pe 's{osso_browser}{Tear\x00browser}g; s{open_new_window}{OpenAddress\x00\x00\x00\x00}g' osso-xterm.launch.stock > osso-xterm.launch
Then on the tablet:
Code:
scp desktop:osso-xterm.launch /home/user
rootsh mv /usr/bin/osso-xterm.launch /usr/bin/osso-xterm.launch.stock
rootsh cp /home/user/osso-xterm.launch /usr/bin
cd /usr/share/dbus-1/services
sed 's/com.nokia.tear/com.nokia.Tear/;' com.nokia.tear.service > com.nokia.Tear.service
(Note the changes in capitalization of Tear. There will now be two *.service files for Tear in the /usr/share/dbus-1/services directory.)

Now, after restarting Terminal and dbus (rootsh /etc/init.d/dbus stop; rootsh /etc/init.d/dbus start), "Open URL" fires up Tear.

Last edited by xiojason; 2009-07-13 at 20:55. Reason: Pointing toward a better/more-general solution to the problem

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xiojason For This Useful Post:

Tags
browserd fix, microb killer, webkit