Active Topics

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
no. you just came here, made people feel miserable and started a fight that simply cannot lead anywhere.... this is one of the threads that should be closed. IMO.

(you know, you keep stressing this free speech thing here. IMO, people here shouldn't think of rights they believe they have. in reality, they have only few and free speech is certainly not one of them. people should think about their responsibilities instead.)
Please take a look at my final posts. There is still a chance some good idea can come from this discussion.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
Ok. let's be constructive then.

Let us help you help the Community Textrat.

Forget about the past. Past shmast. How can we make this a better place?

How about. We make it clear that this is not a service forum for nokia? have a banner? stickies? you know"? make it clear?

so at least then with have better bases for the actions we take?

Why not have a grievances category? you quickly dismissed the suggestion? why?
Actually no I have never dismissed a grievance category. In fact I'm on record here as supporting such a thing. So I'm confused by your claim.

But 3 points:

1. We don't currently have one.

2. Even if we did, in many cases there would be no resolution of the issue from this community. It would have to come from Nokia-- and Nokia has channels for that.

3. Threads that are strictly designed to attack this community or its members have no place whatsoever here in my opinion. Anywhere.

I'm sorry for being testy in this thread, but when the old axiom of no good deed going unpunished gets too real for performing an unpaid job then, well, it gets a little frustrating.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-12 at 18:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
He did not say that explicitly. You are the one on edge and jumped right into it.

I apologize. I'm the one who posted the link and possibily added fuel to fire. I'm very sorry about that.

Thanks for your apology. Accepted.

But let's not be disingenuous about the original post, okay? I don't think asking for intellectual honesty is out of line. Implicit, explicit-- the root remains the same.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
no. you just came here, made people feel miserable and started a fight that simply cannot lead anywhere.... this is one of the threads that should be closed. IMO.

(you know, you keep stressing this free speech thing here. IMO, people here shouldn't think of rights they believe they have. in reality, they have only few and free speech is certainly not one of them. people should think about their responsibilities instead.)
To be clear, I was in process of writing a message to Hellrazr, which was clear, well thought out and perhaps would give him something to think about.

I was stopped from doing this. So I directed my dismay towards a community thread. You can close it, and we will be right back where we are now.

Perhaps some CLEAR rules for the forum would allow threads to be closed without opinions to be expressed and without further inflaming the community. This would also allow mods to point at the rules that someone has broken.

Subjective opinions are not great reasons to close threads. At least if you pointed to a written rule NOBODY can argue with your judgement.

Stop getting your feelings hurt and think, is there a better way?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I think quite a few people on both sides need to take a deep breath and lower their shields a bit.

PB: Texrat takes threads about moderation personally because, even when generic, he is a moderator, and is one of the ones being referred to. Also, if he decides that he is unsure anymore why he should spend hours of his personal life trying to help a community that doesn't seem to want or need that help - then he has every right to do that.

Tex: I don't think PB's intent was as maligned as you originally took it. I think he was expressing a point of view and wanted a discussion on how the community (you keep bolding, so I can too! ) wants this to be handled in the future.

After all, that's what these threads are for: To judge what the majority of people here want to see. AFAIK: We are more democratic run than dictator-driven.. so judging peoples opinions every once in a while is not bad.

I think this (among many other threads) could have been a rather constructive look at the state of things at T.M.O. As w00t said, most people on all sides agree the atmosphere around here has increasingly sucked.

Unfortunately, people (this on ALL SIDES) are taking things too personally, and getting too defensive - to have a truly constructive opinion. Maybe we should enact the old, unused Brainstorm system and open a Brainstorm thread on "How to improve the T.M.O. atmosphere".

Unfortunately, I think that'll turn quickly negative as the rest start, or become very quickly.

All I know is.. something (not directing this at moderators, not directing this at Reggie, Nokia, or anyone in particular) needs to change. We need to find how to migrate back to the way we felt with iTT. That was a home: This is becoming a homeless shelter.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Amazonia (Spain)
LOL!
N900 is not definitively designed for mass-users.
We all love coding, we all love screwing guts...
And we all love fighting! Everyone at his modality (trolling, fanboying, moderating or banning)
Just today, I killed my "troll side"... What a pity, if he could come here...
The fact is that maemo.org is amazing, always with guru support, always with tech suport, and always with a little bit of fight!!!

C'mon, be honest... I love it, and ALL OF YOU LOVE IT TOO!
Nothing bad about it... what about a beer watching next match? what about a little rest?
IMHO, of course.
Cheers!

Coming soon

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
So anyone who disagrees with you is an insane sociopath.

Yeah, right.
Not what I said. Please re-read my statements objectively.

And I decided to take a breath and try a calmer approach to the discussion. You're welcome to contribute; thanks for anything constructive you have to say.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Actually no I have never dismissed a grievance category. In fact I'm on record here as supporting such a thing. So I'm confused by your claim.

But 2 points:

1. We don't currently have one.

2. Even if we did, in many cases there would be no resolution of the issue from this community. It would have to come from Nokia-- and Nokia has channels for that.

3. Threads that are strictly designed to attack this community or its members have no place whatsoever here in my opinion. Anywhere.

I'm sorry for being testy in this thread, but when the old axiom of no good deed going unpunished gets too real for performing an unpaid job then, well, it gets a little frustrating.
True there won't be a resolution from Nokia. But atleast, they'll be in one place. Leaving the important catogries cleaner. And we'll have a specific action to perform when ones POP out in other forums. We can say something like. "Dear Poster, this has been moved to the grevances forums. feel free to continue posting there. sorry for any inconvenine"

If a thread is too bad, and it really spirals out of control to an offensive attack. Even after moving to grevances. You can just delete it and PM the original poster + Ban.

Edit: I'm just saying. If we think together, we can try out some things. You know. help ourselves!

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-06-12 at 18:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
To be clear, I was in process of writing a message to Hellrazr, which was clear, well thought out and perhaps would give him something to think about.
Dealing with posters such as him has led me to a conclusion that such effort is wasted. They will not think about it or consider it, they have decided for whatever reason that their stance is -the- stance and anyone else is wrong. And if they can't -create- a thread, they find an existing one with a potentially volatile topic and immediately start trying to derail it.

Personally, after more than a few new threads with that tone, I'd just have banned the user for a couple days, deleted the last thread and been done with it with a perm-ban for a repeat. This forum may have been nicer in years past, but its moderating policies, indeed the lighter approach you seem to want, don't fit the sudden increase in numbers.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Tex: I don't think PB's intent was as maligned as you originally took it. I think he was expressing a point of view and wanted a discussion on how the community (you keep bolding, so I can too! ) wants this to be handled in the future.
I just would have really appreciated a less aggressive approach. Lately there has been way too much hostility here for my liking.

A PM or email first from PB would have been welcome and nice, too. I love public discourse but some private exchanges for clarification never hurt.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, we the people