Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think they have changed, somewhat, since those days. Just observe that they have now released angström images for the archos 5 IMT and archos 5 IT. Basically, turning either device into a pocket linux computer.

and if they do the same with the archos 7 HT thats supposed to start shipping soon, things get really interesting. That one may come with a weaker cpu then the archos 5 IT, but it has a full sized usb host port within easy reach.

heck, they are even making noise that they are considering expanding the IT series of products into devices with larger screens. Potentially as large as 10".

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Price is coming down in the US on the 32GB Archos 5:

http://dealnews.com/Archos-5-32-GB-5...ng/377378.html

Can anyone link to anything from the company saying they're going to take this tablet to Android 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2?

I'm excited by Android, but at the same time I won't spend 300 bucks on a machine that is instantly outdated. I mean it has a nice wiki at http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Main_Page but I need to feel this thing will have some legs.

I don't particularly mind the device's dual identity as a custom-firmware media player with its own codecs -- these things aren't free on any platform -- as long as the Android OS can keep up.

The Open Development part of the forum for the device doesn't really apply either because while they can build a custom boot of 2.0 or whatever, they can't build the software support for the media playback.

And to go on the record, I'd pay a nominal fee for a full point release of Android for it if it gave me access to subsequent point releases. E.g. $20 for 2.0 that would get me all 2.x releases, another $20 for 3.0. I know development isn't free.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Android 2.2 is nearly unofficially ported if you check archos fans forums.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the thing is that the android on the archos is a hybrid between android and the pre-android archos devices (they where linux based even before they started using android). As such, its hard to tell exactly what android version is being used.