Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by hudzilla View Post
robbie: if you're having problems with the sheep game, it might be a legitimate bug. Is it reproducible? Is it definitely not your fault?

jamiefuller: Brain Party really shouldn't crash. Does it always crash at a particular place? Is it reproducible?

R-R: unless thp has modified my code in, er, creative ways, there shouldn't be any memory leaks. Does it always happen with certain games?
At the moment, there are partly reproducable crashes/lockups/slowdowns with the bubble popping and sheep games, i've found about 30-50% of the time playing the bubble popping game I can get anywhere from 30-90 seconds in to it then itll start slowing down, initially with bubbles just taking a second or two longer than normal to fully slide up but eventually with the device stalling completely for 20-30 seconds, with about that kind of timeframe between menu changes attempting to exit the program.
Info (from myself and others) is also on the package's testing page comments, at:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...inparty/0.5-2/

It's a really great game and would be ace to see this in extras, it will be a horrible shame to see the slowdowns remain and prevent it getting promoted for end-user use.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
robbie: if you're having problems with the sheep game, it might be a legitimate bug. Is it reproducible? Is it definitely not your fault?
I watched my girlfriend playing it and she definitly made the right moves but the game said they were wrong. And at some moments the sheep started moving themselves without touching the screen.

We didn't play the game after that because it's not fun when you can't influence the outcome

I'll see if it's reproducable.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
This game is really great! It's really astonishing that it's free xD I hope more games like this are made/ported/developed/whatever

Hey!

<< i've found about 30-50% of the time playing the bubble popping game I can get anywhere from 30-90 seconds in to it then itll start slowing down >>

That's very serious indeed! The crazy thing is, I downloaded the N900 port, compiled it on Linux (I had to change the GLES headers back to GL) and ran it - no memory leaks, no slowdowns, etc. It worked just as it should. I put on Bubble Trouble and left it running for ten minutes, and memory usage / overall system performance didn't change at all. As you can imagine, the original Linux and iPhone versions also work without leaks and slowdowns.

This might be a silly question, but it's worth asking: is your SDL/GL port quite mature?

Paul

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Herne,Germany
how can i translate it to german language

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
This might be a silly question, but it's worth asking: is your SDL/GL port quite mature?

Paul
Probably not. The GL chip and support is new this version and the GLES SDL used is a project of javispedro with (AFAIK) only one previous project as a test. He's really the SDL expert around here so maybe he'll have an idea what's going on..

The SDL 1.2 version provided (which is what the GLES version uses) on the device seems to work well enough in the other games that use it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yesterday I encountered the sheep game as well and there were no problems of any kind on my end. No slowdowns, no autonomous sheep!

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Probably not. The GL chip and support is new this version and the GLES SDL used is a project of javispedro with (AFAIK) only one previous project as a test. He's really the SDL expert around here so maybe he'll have an idea what's going on.
I see. It seems, then, that javispedro just got a pretty big example project with which to test his GL implementation

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton Keynes, UK
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I watched my girlfriend playing it and she definitly made the right moves but the game said they were wrong. And at some moments the sheep started moving themselves without touching the screen.

We didn't play the game after that because it's not fun when you can't influence the outcome

I'll see if it's reproducable.
Robbie, I've never had this problem with the sheep game,

Silly question but are you aware that the game doesn't involve moving the sheep yourself?

You get shown the moves the sheep will make and you just have to predict where it will stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamiefuller For This Useful Post:
Amazing work with this one. Will probally wait till it's in extras, but i would be more than happy to donate for this game.