Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Thanks for this very nice rendition.

To recap for anyone else trying to load it at this stage,
(helps if you have sudo gainroot and mc installed )

App manager seems to bomb out and says uninstallable
but here is the quick and dirty (using PR 1.3 clean, no special others)

1. copy the deb file. and the config file (read the thread -!)
2. just leave the conf file alone for the moment
open the terminal
3. run#> sudo gainroot
4. run#> dpkg -i conky-all_1.8.5-1_armel.deb
unless you have lua from some other app or whatever it will give up and complain.
-ignore that complaint and move on-
5. now, copy (renaming) the conky.conf.txt to /home/user/MyDocs/conky.conf
6. At this point you can run#> conky.sh and off it goes
7. You can close the app and then go to the desktop and add the shortcut as usual.

At least, that's what i did and it works as advertised.

thanks for the write-up
i had to do it this way the first time I installed it too
after that, it updates from the application manager fine (apparently)
someone smarter than me should figure out what's wrong with the debian/control file.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, yes, GMail left beta a while ago. A bunch of their projects haven't though - doesn't change your point, but I think that's beside my initial point.

All you'd be replacing with uploading it is the devel version, right? So the people who use non-devel version (are there any? There should be by now) wouldn't be effected. And if they're using devel, any *****ing can be responded to with "this is what happens when you enable devel" - now, IF Conky only exists in devel, then I can understand you doing what you're doing.

*shrug*

As for "alpha" sorry if that personally offends you. I meant alpha as a matter of personal perception in the moment - by definition, though, I suppose you're right - it's not alpha anymore. Regardless of semantics though, I do appreciate the work you put into it, and I know you've been working on it for a while. When I said alpha I did not mean you were releasing something horribly unfinished. To me "alpha" in this context meant first for-testing release to other people, not indicating state of unfinished-ness.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Why this isn´t in devel? Any person with half brain that has devel enabled knows that any time he/she does apt-get update it might be their last time before reflash

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
thanks for the write-up
i had to do it this way the first time I installed it too
after that, it updates from the application manager fine (apparently)
someone smarter than me should figure out what's wrong with the debian/control file.
Just trying to help out,
I see a lot of these and people like me sometimes just need
a simple script to sum up all the various bits and pieces flung around
in the process of hashing out how to get wind under the wings.
Keep up the good work.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
The module is NEVER (by default) loaded at boottime. This just bugs me because it's been known, and gone over in the Beautify Conky thread were Creamy Goodness was a participant. Power kernel does not automatically boot with that module enabled. You can make it boot by default by echoing it to the proper file:

(as root)
echo bq27x00_battery >> /etc/modules

Make sure to use >>, not >, because > will override the rest of the stuff in there. Not good.

Creamy Goodness: I like the idea of Conky using that module by default, but then it needs to either add it to the default modules loaded at boot, or check for it when launching, and modprobe it if necessary. I would recommend the latter, because there might be other bugs that could be caused by forcing the bq27x00_battery module on people who may be running a system that doesn't have it installed already or who have it disabled for other reasons.

(Or if you really want to go through coding hell the variables that can be queried with BME can be queried that way if the bq27x00_battery module isn't loaded when conky launches - but I realize that's a pain in the ***.)
Yeah I have a bad memory, plus I probably loaded that module as soon as it was available, and totally forgot about it by now. The hal-BME stuff is read with dbus if that module isn't loaded, but the temperature really requires that kernel module loaded. I will just modprobe it I guess, I think that's relatively safe. It won't explode if it doesn't exist, or is already loaded.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Why this isn´t in devel? Any person with half brain that has devel enabled knows that any time he/she does apt-get update it might be their last time before reflash
yeah... well with something like 130k downloads, i don't want all those people *****ing at me. plus i can barely get this to build myself, I don't have a clue about autobuilder, and I really don't want to deal with that today, tomorrow, or anytime soon.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
And those who doesn't want to load module each time or make it loading permanently at boot and can live without knowing how warm is their battery should delete this string
${battery_temp}°C
from attached conf file.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
*Shrug* If you'd like, you can put me down as the official place to direct the *****ing to. I'll just quote slender's line at them.

But like I said, I kinda understand. On the one hand, every time we give in to this exact phenomena, the devel-being-used-as-standard problem gets worse. But I understand that when thousands of people regularly depend on Conky, devel version or otherwise, AND the autobuilder is a challenge (hell, I wouldn't know where to start myself), it becomes understandable to keep it out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Just jumped onboard and it's working just fine

Cheers all for testing and thanks to the dev

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Will any of those Conky.conf files from the beautify thread work for this version? There's some kewl stuff over there!
Yeah, for sure. Unless you mean the beautify conky thread from the ubuntu forums... That one, probably not.
Even for the confs written for the last 1.6.1 version, they might do the same stupid crash on load we saw earlier today. It really shouldn't be that hard to get working though, and if you can narrow down any problems you have I can probably fix it. Just don't forget to add in the options update_interval , update_interval_on_battery , and replace any ${exec with a variable I've added where possible, or it will be needlessly inefficient.

Tags
conky