Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

So, did it work for anyone?

What does Nokia Care say?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bouloute For This Useful Post:
what the heck is this 'thumb compression' technique :O
Twiddle thumbs and pray port doesn't get ripped off?

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Bouloute View Post
So, did it work for anyone?

What does Nokia Care say?
Ill call them tomorrow to check

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm newly encouraged by these developments. I'm confident that ultimately everyone with a problem will be taken care of... if slower than they would like.
Unfortunately. coming from Australia, I am not so optimistic.

I have not seen any real indication that the design flaw has been fixed, or how to ensure that a new phone has the problem fixed. Nor have I seen any indication that any old stock is being recalled.

I sent the retailer, mobicity, the link to the official Nokia announcement, and they didn't respond.

Have complained to the Office of Fair Trading in Brisbane, Queensland. May take 10 business days before I hear back from them. Currently only 5.

Brian May

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Well, this is a pretty disgusting thread.

I build audio amplifiers as a hobby, not as a vocation, and I don't attach I/O ports to my PCBs like this nonsense.

This is my 4th "Big Money" Nokia device. Previoisly I had a 9210 and 2 9300s, Communicators. All three had catastrophic hinge failures and died.

So after dumping some $1900 or so in a 2 year period, I left Nokia really pissed off. I bought a Palm TREO 680 Deadend device that was not what I wanted, but was solid as a rock mechanically.

Last year i wanted a new Phone. iPhone didn't do much for me and neither did Android. I always liked Symbian, but felt it did not get much attention as far as development was concerned, but thought it was the only player for me. I saw the N97 and was thinking about it, but was very leery of the hinge mechanism as a point of failure. So I decided to wait a while after the release and watch fr problems. That put me into the N900 timeframe which was REALLY what I wanted OS wise.

I was still worried about the Slider mechanism though and thought I was maybe taking a chance with it. The Nokia Clamshells made me feel like Monica Lewinsky with a bad taste in my mouth!

But I went for it anyhow. Soon as I received the N900 I didn't like how much force had to be used to engage/disengage the usb plug.

That brings us to the point we are at now. Mine does not have a problem yet. I am very careful with the plug and have been since day one. I also am very easy on the slider as well. I never "snap" it.

Thanx to this thread, I'm going to be using the files and bench grinder, and air compressor tomorrow to declaw my power connectors. Thanx for that tip!

Sorry for the long post, but my issues with Nokia mechanical issues has been irritating and expensive.

This phone has high energy requirements if you use it as intended/designed. It would not be unusual for someone to have to engage the USB plug 3-4 times a day. Nokia should have made this port ROBUST IMHO.

The Jack should have used thru holes on the PCB and should have been "captured" by the case plastic. Then there would be no shear forces transmitted to the board and if there was any, the thru holes would make it very solid to boot. They could have solved this problem with "capture" alone.

365 days X 4 plugins per day = 1460 plugin cycles during the 1 year US warranty period. I would certainly think this plug should be spec'd to do better than 1 year's worth of performance?

I don't have much confidence in the repair. For the folks that had this happen in 2 weeks time, what's that get them, 2 more weeks?

I won't be pre-ordering another Nokia device, that's for freakin' sure!

The Potential on this device was awesome, execution on so many levels has been incompetent.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Got usb connector out too when were unplugging charger. Called nokia care, they said they don't have info to tell whether it is a warranty case. Repair service said it is unlikely to be waranty case, though agreed to take my phone and gave estimation of 1 week (when they either say it's non-warranty or fix it).

My NIT-related projects: Gentoo on N8x0, fb_text2screen, opendsme

So much for the statement by Nokia that this issue is covered...

I have just received my phone back, unrepaired, for the second time, so I've contacted Nokia Care again, and am waiting for another call back.

Totally fed up with the complete lack of support from Nokia, and would rather have my money back now rather than a replacement.

Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REJOICE COMRADES, we have WON!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ighlight/false

This is freaking awesome. Texrat, and everybody involved, we deserve a freakin medal

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by haytona View Post
So much for the statement by Nokia that this issue is covered...

I have just received my phone back, unrepaired, for the second time, so I've contacted Nokia Care again, and am waiting for another call back.

Totally fed up with the complete lack of support from Nokia, and would rather have my money back now rather than a replacement.
It was only a couple of days ago that Nokia said the detached USB ports are covered, and they might have already put the phone in the post to you by then.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
hmmmm....nokia said that this issue is only present in a "very limited" number of n900's, but i can see that every 2 days, people having issues with their devices increases.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
hmmmm....nokia said that this issue is only present in a "very limited" number of n900's, but i can see that every 2 days, people having issues with their devices increases.
When I took my phone into the Nokia repair center they claimed to see approix one a week with this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty