Active Topics

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
True there won't be a resolution from Nokia. But atleast, they'll be in one place. Leaving the important catogries cleaner. And we'll have a specific action to perform when ones POP out in other forums. We can say something like. "Dear Poster, this has been moved to the grevances forums. feel free to continue posting there. sorry for any inconvenine"

If a thread is too bad, and it really spirals out of control to an offensive attack. Even after moving to grevances. You can just delete it and PM the original poster + Ban.
I will say.. I've always like the idea of a "junk" area to move threads. Even if the thread is technically "on topic" but has become a pissing match or flame war.. just toss it off to an area that can be ignored.

Even closing it it stays there, in the category, for everyone to read and feel bad reading it. Just move it somewhere. Great idea, IMHO.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
All I know is.. something (not directing this at moderators, not directing this at Reggie, Nokia, or anyone in particular) needs to change. We need to find how to migrate back to the way we felt with iTT. That was a home: This is becoming a homeless shelter.
This was the reason of my earlier posting...

Will this community perpetually go on 'after' MeeGo? In the same form?
Will it be able to continue to use the maemo banner after Nokia moves on to MeeGo?
Will it continue to exist after Nokia pulls off funding to it?

It sort of feel like a sinking ship right now and what's the point of all this fighting if things are going to move on to MeeGo anyway...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
if its gotten that bad you might as well prevent users from creating new accounts that allow them post unless they have been referred to by an existing user in good standing.

No other measure will work - the fact of the matter is, the bad feeling exists, and since Nokia provides no useful support, ppl will come here and vent and it is natural as this is the only support (even though it is not official) venue that exists.

Any mechanism like starting another sub forum for these users does not address the underlying issue and is a bandaid that will fall off in time. People's anger will actually grow worse, not better. You just get more work.

The only other way is to post a big FAT disclaimer on account creation or something at the top of every forum _acknowledging_ all the problems of Nokia's bad service/support (i.e. Texrat's blog post) and say "Sorry, we agree with you that Nokia support sucks but we cant do anything about it regardless of what you post here" and state that the only way to get yourself heard is to post complaint's at Nokia's official forum and to no longer buy Nokia's devices in the future.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Dealing with posters such as him has led me to a conclusion that such effort is wasted. They will not think about it or consider it, they have decided for whatever reason that their stance is -the- stance and anyone else is wrong. And if they can't -create- a thread, they find an existing one with a potentially volatile topic and immediately start trying to derail it.

Personally, after more than a few new threads with that tone, I'd just have banned the user for a couple days, deleted the last thread and been done with it with a perm-ban for a repeat. This forum may have been nicer in years past, but its moderating policies, indeed the lighter approach you seem to want, don't fit the sudden increase in numbers.
Indeed, other moderators have already dealt with the poster in question more than once. I don't have ban powers so I do what I can in the scope of my privileges. My inclination is not to ban anyway, unless the poster is unrepentant and unrelenting in their aggressive behavior. Typically very few meet that criteria, and I'm always surprised when they are defended by anyone. Why would any community member support such hostile behavior?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I just would have really appreciated a less aggressive approach. Lately there has been way too much hostility here for my liking.
This, I think, is actually the crux of the whole debate to begin with. Not specifically this thread, but the hostility here from everyone.

A PM or email first from PB would have been welcome and nice, too. I love public discourse but some private exchanges for clarification never hurt.
I can find nothing wrong with this. This was definitely a viable option at the beginning, but either way: We really do need a thread about this (not specifically closing threads, that's a symptom, but overall condition of the forum which is the real problem.)

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I just would have really appreciated a less aggressive approach. Lately there has been way too much hostility here for my liking.

A PM or email first from PB would have been welcome and nice, too. I love public discourse but some private exchanges for clarification never hurt.
Again you are supposing this is all about you.

Cmon, its about the community. Personal feelings aside.

This was NOT about Texrat, can you understand that. This is about how MY community is dealing with asshats?

Do I know who all the mods are, nope, I could have written Reggie, but there is no point.

Things get done here when the COMMUNITY says yeah, lets change this.

I am not on council anymore, so I have no need to discuss ANYTHING in private.

and one more time, NOT about YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT
In fact my PM's are disabled, so don't bother PM'ing me
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-06-12 at 18:39.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It sort of feel like a sinking ship right now and what's the point of all this fighting if things are going to move on to MeeGo anyway...
If people think THIS place is heavy-handed, keep an eye on the MeeGo forum. This place started out mostly open-- MeeGo is more restricted and I get the impression that will be the overall tone. More professionalism is expected of posters there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
This was the reason of my earlier posting...

Will this community perpetually go on 'after' MeeGo? In the same form?
Will it be able to continue to use the maemo banner after Nokia moves on to MeeGo?
Will it continue to exist after Nokia pulls off funding to it?

Here's my concern.. as MeeGo becomes more and more, we will mostly be migrating over to the MeeGo forums.

I do not want this forum's atmosphere to migrate with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
'Don't confuse me with the Facts! My mind is already made up"

I am reminded of this quote every day around here.

Speach is free for the owner of this site. (Of course they paid for it!)

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Again you are supposing this is all about you.

Cmon, its about the community. Personal feelings aside.

This was NOT about Texrat, can you understand that. This is about how MY community is dealing with asshats?

Do I know who all the mods are, nope, I could have written Reggie, but there is no point.

Things get done here when the COMMUNITY says yeah, lets change this.

I am not on council anymore, so I have no need to discuss ANYTHING in private.

and one more time, NOT about YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was about my actions. Come on Matthew, let's be honest about that and move on.

And for the record, I acknowledged I could have made a better choice in that thread. Thank you (and Corso and fatalsaint) for the heads-up if nothing else.

Tags
community, we the people